Questions about v1.5 Beta1  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
jasonfletcher

Questions about v1.5 Beta1

by jasonfletcher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Very exciting updates! I've been wanting exactly these features. After some experimenting I have some questions.

--- I can no longer choose a reference panorama to be the main stitch. This is a change to my workflow and I've yet to read any sort of explanation about this. I don't always find the optimal stitch on my first timeline selection. And so if I got a bad stitch based on my first timeline selection, then there is no obvious way to re-stitch with a new timeline selection.
--- What is the anti-shake trying to solve? If the 360 camera rig is slowly moving forward, can it still solve for shake correctly?
--- What is the technical difference between the two types of GPU processing: Asynchrone and Synchrone?
--- Are the encoding presets ignored when rendering to frames?
--- It would be very helpful to get a breakdown of the new timeline tools. Its confusing when there are no on-hover tooltips for buttons. Are 'cuts' the same as the idea of keyframes? Or if the green region just a zone where the keyframes can live? I've watched this video but I'm still a little confused as how to best use the tools. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbYjgw_sLc
Jason Fletcher
Science Visualizer
Charles Hayden Planetarium
http://www.thefulldomeblog.com

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Re: Questions about v1.5 Beta1

by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:18 pm

jasonfletcher wrote:--- I can no longer choose a reference panorama to be the main stitch. This is a change to my workflow and I've yet to read any sort of explanation about this. I don't always find the optimal stitch on my first timeline selection. And so if I got a bad stitch based on my first timeline selection, then there is no obvious way to re-stitch with a new timeline selection.

Yes. The template, meaning the reference panorama is now per states which allows to have an evolving reference panorama over time. Outside, you have an infinite focus for example and when going into a building, then, you decide to have your stitch applied on wall. You can interpolate them.

jasonfletcher wrote:--- What is the anti-shake trying to solve? If the 360 camera rig is slowly moving forward, can it still solve for shake correctly?

For the moment, it removes shaking. It doesn't keep horizon along timeline. But by adding some keyframe, you can get the horizon leveled.
Note: we already have a v2 of this algorithm that does both parts automatically.

jasonfletcher wrote:--- What is the technical difference between the two types of GPU processing: Asynchrone and Synchrone?

Behind the scene, technical stuffs. By default, it is asynchrone, but on some configurations, it can make the GPU driver crash ( not because a bug, but because, we are asking too much to the gpu and the OS thinks it did crash and reset it ... ).
The synchrone mode is slower ( 20% ), but safer. On some gpu, it helps.

jasonfletcher wrote:--- Are the encoding presets ignored when rendering to frames?

Yes. Preset is for encoding not rendering. The size of .pano is used for rendering frame.

jasonfletcher wrote:--- It would be very helpful to get a breakdown of the new timeline tools. Its confusing when there are no on-hover tooltips for buttons. Are 'cuts' the same as the idea of keyframes? Or if the green region just a zone where the keyframes can live? I've watched this video but I'm still a little confused as how to best use the tools.

An introduction video is been produced and should be here for end of thi week. I hope it will explain more what we intended to do.

jasonfletcher

Re: Questions about v1.5 Beta1

by jasonfletcher » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Excellent. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.
Jason Fletcher
Science Visualizer
Charles Hayden Planetarium
http://www.thefulldomeblog.com

Return to Using Autopano Video