Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 360 in post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:21 pm 

I have six gopros and the 360 rig. After rendering a file in Autopano video I want to improve the color by color correcting the clip in After Effects 5.5. So from Autopano video I render in maximum quality, that is H.264 4K. Then I open the rendered file in After Effects and color correct. But then what? After effects is not the best for compressing files. I tried to use various h.264 and Quick time codecs but none of these files can be properly shown in Kolor Eyes 1.0 .

Any recommendations on how to proceed? I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks, Alfred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:15 pm 

Hi Alfred,
If you want maximum quality, I would suggest to render to jpg100 image sequence (or PNG or Tiff if you have enough time/space), and import the first file of the sequence (and select image seqence in the file selector) into AE. it is treated like a movie clip. apply all your corrections that you need, either directly to the clip, or via adjustment layer (allows you to use masks).
you can render out a master file, preferably apple prores hq (or similar high quality low compression codecs) and use ffmpeg (and any of its front ends) to resize and compress the file to your various targets (mp4/h264). keep in mind the h264 standard stops officially at 2k, so rendering a 4k h264 may not work everywhere. this will change as soon as the h265 standard is more wide spread, and then it is easy to go back to your master file, and create a new output, without re-rendering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:40 am 

Thank you very much Joergen! I will definitively try this.

Cheers!

Alfred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 am 

Hi again Joergen,

I have tried to follow your suggestions but After Effects do not have Apple Prores HQ. See attached files. It does have H.264 but if I compress it using the codec I can not open it in Kolor Eyes Player. Perhaps I am using the wrong bitrate settings. Can you please advice me on how to proceed?

Thanks! Alfred

Post subject: Re: 360 in post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:20 am 

Dear Alfred,
mp4/h.264 is not a production codec, but an output codec. In other words, it takes a very long time to write, and it is very lossy. In addition, it takes some system resources to play it back. it is ideal for deployment on the web etc, since many many devices can play back mp4/h.264, and it is pretty efficient to reduce the data (lossy) to a manageable file size (up to 4k in resolution).
Apple ProRes is a production codec, it has only very limited loss (and creates huge files), and writes and reads very fast. Ideal for post production, jumping from one part of the editing to the next one without loosing much time. (it can also take any pixel size you can imagine). There is no real equivalent to apple prores under windows, afaik, but I am sure there are useful alternatives (avi, mov) available. it is a great format to use for image sequence output from AVP, and convert to mov (apple prores) for editing/grading/compositing. if you don't need to create a full res master, don't need much to edit, you can go straight from image sequence to 2k/4k mp4/h264 in your editing application.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:50 pm 

Thank you very much for your informative reply Joergen! I appreciate it!

Sincerely, Alfred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 am 

Hi

Filming with gopros in 1440 mode.
Any idea what the correct JPEG frame export panorama settings would be currently on default 5558 x 2770

After exporting at this setting from AVP imported into AE with same image size 5558 x 2770. Then corrected colour in after effects (which I'm still learning) and after render the approximately 300,000 kb file renders to 32,000. Not sure where in the workflow I have the settings incorrect ie AVP export / AE image size / AE settings or AE render settings. Thanks for any thoughts.

On slightly different topic if exporting for video any recommendations on video bit rates at various presets. I'm still testing but have noticed some minor slight freezing of motion at H264 High 8000 kbs

Thanks