Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 am 

Hi

Any idea what specifications the graphics card should be for GPU rendering
To be more specific what kind of speed increase could be gained over a range of different cards
I'm currently using NVIDIA GTS250 - 128 core - Graphics clock 738 Mhz - Processor clock 1836 mhz Memory ( I think 512)
May upgrade but wondering how much to upgrade to For instance does the performance gain level out at a certain specification

Also if purchasing gopro cameras do you need to make sure they are from the same batch to match picture

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:02 pm 
Administrator

We didn't have any serious benchmark yet.
We will propose a set of video / autopano video so everyone could test the same videos rendering on several hardware.
This way, we could create a nice benchmark database.
We'll do that after the 1.0 release

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:42 am 

Well I rendered about 17 min of video @5000x2500 with my GTX Titan and it took roughly 50 minutes.

GPU rendering rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 am 

fruitygreen wrote:
Well I rendered about 17 min of video @5000x2500 with my GTX Titan and it took roughly 50 minutes.

GPU rendering rocks!

Hi I am very interested in the Titan as it seems the fastest single GPU with a good amount of RAM onboard.

Can you give us an indication of the speed difference you experience between GPU rendering and CPU rendering.

Especially when using APG, I am interested in difference in preview speed.

And are you able to preview multiple panoramas at the same time? Or will APG crash like I experience when previewing more then 2 panoramas at the same tiem.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:10 am 

On my previous setup with Autopano Video and CPU rendering it took me 12 plus hours with the same project. GPU rendering is definitely faster around 15x as advertised.

I cannot give an exact breakdown on the difference between CPU and GPU because I have since moved on and won't go CPU rendering no more.

I do can tell you my GTX Titan went a lil faster still when I over-clocked it over 1080mhz .

AVP does crash when multi-tasking. Seems sensitive with a lot of activity on the GPU.
Haven't tried previewing multi panoramas so I don't know if it works. I'll see later if it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 am 

This is of course the Autopano video forum, though I asked about the Titan because I want to use it for Autopano Giga. APG uses the GPU only for preview where lots of GPU RAM is important together with a fast single GPU because APG seems unable to use a second GPU.
Also when a third editor starts using the GPU for calculating the preview APG has a problem with my GPU, which is, though having 4 GB RAM, not the fastest thing in the world, problably also because of the 128 bit data bus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:39 pm 

pana2000 wrote:
Any idea what specifications the graphics card should be for GPU rendering
To be more specific what kind of speed increase could be gained over a range of different cards
I'm currently using NVIDIA GTS250 - 128 core - Graphics clock 738 Mhz - Processor clock 1836 mhz Memory ( I think 512)
May upgrade but wondering how much to upgrade to For instance does the performance gain level out at a certain specification

More GPU power always helps. and the NVIDIA Titan is certainly the fastest card on the market right now, and AVP benefits from the the additional power, but you can get smaller cards as well. as a non-scientific reference, a GTX 770 (1500 CUDA cores, 4GB) will render 4k output at 4.5fps.

pana2000 wrote:
Also if purchasing gopro cameras do you need to make sure they are from the same batch to match picture

not necessarily, they will all stitch nicely as long as they all run the same firmware version. AVP/APG will handle the subtle differences. but have a look at the serial numbers: I found the cameras from recent batches (serial numbers in the 4xx and 5xx range) more reliable than early 1xx and 2xx models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:34 am 

Thanks Joergen went with Titan card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:56 am 

let us know how the card effects your workflow