Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 pm 

Hi, since I'm no expert and doing only 360VP I would like to start also with Video. Here I need your experts help. What is GOOD equipment that I need to buy? I'm not happy with "low" quality also can not afforde HI quality but I would like to have GOOD quality.
Thank you for your help.
Ivan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 pm 
Administrator

We will soon resell 2 kind of gopro rigs :
- Freedom360 rigs : http://www.freedom360.us
- 360heros.com rigs : http://www.360heros.com

best,
Alexandre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm 

Alexandre thank you for quick reply.
Ivan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 pm 

Ivan Majc wrote:
Hi, since I'm no expert and doing only 360VP I would like to start also with Video. Here I need your experts help. What is GOOD equipment that I need to buy? I'm not happy with "low" quality also can not afforde HI quality but I would like to have GOOD quality.
Thank you for your help.
Ivan

You need to use 6 cameras (one for each cubeface) simultanuously.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:11 am 

Hi...

The first setup is much cheaper but I am assuming you would need the Hero Black Edition, to get GoPro App compatible.. and 12mp.. @ $400 each x 6 = $2,500 plus wireless triggers I am assuming.. So for this rig setup, over $3,500.. You would need to be keen... or rich :lol:

One thing I am confused about, I am assuming the two companies uses the same camera model; my question is why the freedom360 plays really well on my Mac and looks really awesome yet the 360hero domos struggled to play.. Considering this is the GoPro web side showcasing their gear, its not that great.. :rolleyes: The only image I would say was nice was their still pano under the see.. However, its only a small image and you cannot make it full screen, unlike the freedome demo, which still looks good at full screen.. The video version of under the sea doesn't work at all..

Destiny...

AlexandreJ wrote:

best,
Alexandre

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 am 

What about a fisheye lens using video mode on the camera? Will that work? Can anyone provide some options with what's required to put these together i.e. video only, video panorama mix. panorama only?

Last edited by Muzza on Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:25 am 

Muzza wrote:
What about a fisheye lens using video mode on the camera? Will that work? Can anyone provide some options with what's required to put these together i.e. video only, video panorama mix. panorama only?

Look at the freshly announced beta of the video-stitcher!

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 am 

Destiny wrote:
Hi...

One thing I am confused about, I am assuming the two companies uses the same camera model; my question is why the freedom360 plays really well on my Mac and looks really awesome yet the 360hero domos struggled to play.. Considering this is the GoPro web side showcasing their gear, its not that great.. :rolleyes: The only image I would say was nice was their still pano under the see.. However, its only a small image and you cannot make it full screen, unlike the freedome demo, which still looks good at full screen.. The video version of under the sea doesn't work at all..

Destiny...

AlexandreJ wrote:

best,
Alexandre

Both of these videos were replayed with krpano. Assuming they are with similar resolution & frame rate, the key different is the way how they host the video, i.e. the quality of their cdn control the smoothness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 am 

Muzza wrote:

covering 360" full sphere with DSLR and a Fisheye can be done, but the riggs are bit more expensive than the GoPro ones... about 3.000 - 10.000 € (without 4 DSLRs....)

using 1 Fisheye DSLR cam Video and from same Location doing a still pano will be much easier affordable ;-))
My favorite example: http://lesrevenants.canalplus.fr

(if you've a Canon 5D Mark 3 than the newest MAgic Lantern beta enables you recording 3.6K RAW Video on your Disc (7mb filesize per Frame! currently external Software must be used to take the 24images per seconds to create an Video file, but they're working on directly recording Video Format) with this you can record better Pixel sized FOV)

I think the Kolors Software "Live Video" will be the product you're looking for... partial Video coverage and the rest of the sphere "filled" with an still pano.
Live pano will be available with/for ptp2 (external Software integrated into ptp2).

Autopano Video will be used to stitch single Videos together. The resulting Video covers a partial sphere (example you use only 2 Videos with overlap) or a full sphere...

Live Pano than will also take the 360"fullsphere Video mp4 file created with Autopano Video and in combination with ptp2 a tour will than be created...

From Logical Point of view (experience with autopano working only with still panos) you have to use the same lens category for creating the Video and for the still pano part. So lets say you take the pano with 16mm non Fisheye than the Video must be taken too with a nonfisheye lens. If you create a 14mm Fisheye pano than you have to use a Fisheye lens to to record the Video.)

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Georg

PS: other 360 riggs & Setups (lower and higher end ones mixed without any order):

http://360rig.com/future_of_array_cameras/
http://www.ptgrey.com/products/spherical.asp
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/geonaute_launches_360_sports_camera/
http://www.girocam.com/en_US/
http://immersivemedia.com/products/#cameras
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1996234044/sphericam-the-easy-360o-video-camera

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri May 17, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am 
Administrator

Autopano Video can stitch whatever video you have :
- gopro rig => that's fisheye
- standard video => rectilinear or fisheye lens, partial or full sphere coverage.

The only value you need is the 35mm focal length equivalent of your lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 am 

Hey thanks for the replies and I've registered for the beta. There are a number of companies here in Christchurch, NZ that have expressed real interest in360 virtual walkthroughs. I have a Nikon D7000 (video capable), 10.5mm fisheye, nodal ninja 3 and a VR Roundshot. Wouldn't be too much of an issue to get a 35mm lens.
Check out these sites for some good recent examples of VT's:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/panos
http://www.cockramnissan.co.nz/panoramas/
http://www.lambandhayward.co.nz/our-chapels

So I suppose I am looking for a recipe/procedure as you might call it too make a great virtual walkthrough with using the equipment I have.

Last edited by Muzza on Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm 

I agree Georg. That VR is awesome.. You showed it last year I think.. Its scary!!.. Really well made.. Love it..

The 360 rig looks really cool, but perhaps HOT is the right word.. :lol:.., since I thought that had over heating issues.. I hope they fix it since I really like the look of this camera.. I would love to try it out just as a single one shot pano camera.. :)

360 video is most certainly an exciting newish media.. I have seen some really nice 360 videos and some really horrible ones... I guess in order for this new media to have value, it must be seen to be of the highest quality..

I can most certainly see value in 360 video walk throughs.., especially where there is a lot of moving features like a zoo or car show, air show etc, so many options.. but even environments with nothing moving would be of value like real estate.. Tourism would have huge benefits.. Movie World at our Gold Coast...wow..! :D

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:55 pm 

Destiny wrote:
since I thought that had over heating issues.. .

Nope - that was a completely different model, built as a closed cube. This one leaves the cameras open and so avoids temperature-problems.

Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 pm 

No one got any idea about using a fish eye on a VR drive? And possibly combining with a 180 by 360 still.
If you do please email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 pm 

The problem I would have in using or even testing out that with my VR Drive and 10.5 fisheye would be my Mac.. It would not be able to cope with that kind of video file load.. I would truly love to capture a pano using my 35mm with bracketed shots, but sadly I was not able to process my images.. As much as I would love to dabble into this 360 video media, its not going to be possible.. Not until I can afford to buy a Mac Pro.. I might be 80 by then.. I still owe my old gran for my VR Drive and D800... Actually, my old gran is 86, did heaps of photography when younger and still does, and really loves all this new technology. So there is no age limit to be inspired by the things Kolor et al are developing.. ;)

I often refer to all this as New Media.. and it is. Not sure how many of us are going to afford to setup for capturing this New 360 Video Media.. I really look forward in seeing some results.

Destiny..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 pm 

Muzza wrote:
No one got any idea about using a fish eye on a VR drive? And possibly combining with a 180 by 360 still.
If you do please email.

read my port #9

using Fisheye on a VR drive to create a 360 sphere still pano.
use the same Fisheye on same panohead without chaning NPP and Point the lens on an object you want to take the Video from.
Change to Video mode do the Video.
stitch in apg 3.05 the still pano
wait until ptp2.0 is available
wait until live pano (standalone app embedded to ptp 2.0) is available.
start ptp2.0 and in ptp 2.0 use the Live Video button/Option/plugin (however available) to load the Video you took...
... whatever than has to be done finally you will have the Option to stitch the Video/fit the pano over the same FOV you took the Video from (however this will be solved...). If done you can press the build panotour button to create a tour...

if you have more than one Videoposition available (2-6gopros or a rigg with 2 or more DSLRs) you can use Autopano Video to stitch the Videos to one Video covering the FOV of used Videos.

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri May 17, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:44 pm 

Destiny wrote:
I would truly love to capture a pano using my 35mm with bracketed shots, but sadly I was not able to process my images..

Not even as JPGs? It´s only 45 images using 20% overlap - which is fairly enough.
I even can do it on my MacBook Pro (8GB RAM).
Try a fast external drive exclusively for temp!

On my MacBook i also can process 200 85mm shots @20% overlap. So i guess your iMac should be capable of processing
45 images . . .

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Fri May 17, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm 

Klaus, I think I would be fine with 8gig of RAM if I had 8gig.. but as you know, my iMac has only 4gig of RAM and it cannot be extended.. 45 images is just too much.. but I think my VR Drive captured a few more than that.. I tried heaps of times to process my images but my iMac just locked up.. apg took the images really well, but failed to process them.. I even left it all night.. ;( Its not just RAM which is the issue, a Mac Pro has probably got quad processors.. I only have 2.9 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.. its fine for most of what I do... Just not high rez panos.. or 360 videos even if I had the camera gear...

Destiny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 am 

Destiny wrote:
Klaus, I think I would be fine with 8gig of RAM if I had 8gig.. but as you know, my iMac has only 4gig of RAM and it cannot be extended.. 45 images is just too much.. but I think my VR Drive captured a few more than that.. I tried heaps of times to process my images but my iMac just locked up.. apg took the images really well, but failed to process them.. I even left it all night.. ;( Its not just RAM which is the issue, a Mac Pro has probably got quad processors.. I only have 2.9 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.. its fine for most of what I do... Just not high rez panos.. or 360 videos even if I had the camera gear...

Destiny...

45 shots as JPGs must be possible with 4GB and a fast external Temp-drive via Firewire or even USB.
Regarding the focal-lenght of 35mm and the according angles 45 images @20% is the number.

If your VR2 shoots more than 45 or 48 then there´s an error somewhere. With 25% overlap it´s 48 shots - no matter which head: the positions/angles are defined by the focal-length and sensor-size only. That´s definitely independent from the head.

I compared a Dr. Clauss Rodeon, a Seitz VR2 and a Panoneed - all three heads did exactly the same amount of shots. Which is
just logical.

I processed 45 shots even when i had only 4 GB in my MacBook Pro before i upgraded to 8GB. So i´m quite sure it must work.

But really helpful is a fast external temp-drive of preferably 1 TB.

Did you try it with imported xml?

I again strongly suggest 1) a fast external drive, free for temp ONLY, 2) no other programs running while APG runs and 3) at least free 100GB on the internal - system - drive. In the presets for APG define the external drive as temp-drive.

these measures definitely will help!

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sat May 18, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:36 pm 

"wait until ptp2.0 is available
wait until live pano (standalone app embedded to ptp 2.0) is available."

I am not always online, but wait until PTP2 is available?

I would imagine as a mp4 the completed 360 video work uploaded onto Youtube? And then added in to Joomla as a Youtube selection through the back end?

Tks
Murray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm 
Administrator

OT: With a single DSLR setup and manual head, one customer do 360° videos at the nodal point by filming 10s at each location and stitch them together. You'll get a full 360° video where each quaters has 10s but not taken at the same time. It ended quite well for the concert he was filming.