Kodak SP360 4k, setting in AVP 2.6 to adjust distance?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
nagel420

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Kodak SP360 4k, setting in AVP 2.6 to adjust distance?

by nagel420 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi All.... Accidentally first posted this in the Giga forum, more suited here (perhaps even both?)

I use my 360 setup mainly for filming underwater (on a budget for now, so no Abyss or Seadak).

My camera rig is a pair of Kodak SP360 4K cameras. I know you lose approximately 30 degrees in FOV when underwater, and this makes stitches difficult without the Abyss or Seadak type housings. You can get an ok stitch, but with visible stitch lines, if I use the Pixpro 360 Stitch software.

What I am curious about, and I haven't figured out how to do it in Kolor AVP 2.6 yet, is in the Pixpro software, there is an area called Calibration. When stitching 2 cams, Back to Back, I can enter the calibration screen, and not only do I have Roll, Pan and Tilt (to help line up the cameras for a stitch), I also have a setting called "Distance". Essentially, all 4 of these calibrations can be applied to either camera, individually.

Generally not much need for adjustment for Pan, Tilt or Roll in my underwater housing, but Distance! That HELPS ALOT! When editing in the Pixpro software, I adjust distance from 1.0 to 1.21 on each camera, the overlapped stitch area lines up practically perfectly. My take on this is, imagine two half spheres, with overlap between them. You are adjusting the where the center back of each camera is "in space", and by increasing this distance in the software you are essentially pushing the cameras away from each other.

Helps ALOT with underwater footage. BUT! The Pixpro software can only render to 3840x1920, and I know I can do better with Kolor AVP (4096x2048).

Does anybody know how to adjust distance in AVP 2.6 as it applies to Kodak Pixpro 360 4k cameras? Would love to be able to adjust that and THEN go in and do control points!

no avatar
dookie9636

Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Re: Kodak SP360 4k, setting in AVP 2.6 to adjust distance?

by dookie9636 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Are you looking for a reference template you can stitch from?
Alex Pierce has some good tutorials. See below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxtMsmu2Pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chU-pBjMQI4

Also, I could print you a 3 kodak camera rig that you can take diving but you'd have to get another camera. 3 Kodaks makes a perfect little 360 rig. This is a picture of the above water rig we mounted to an air plane http://imgur.com/a/6gn7s
I have the design for the scuba rig finished in my head. I just need to model it and print it lol. PM me if your interested I'm happy to help either way.

no avatar
nagel420

Topic author
Info

by nagel420 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:01 am

No, I've got plenty of templates, and while some help, none made above water work well underwater. I had seen a trick to adjust the distance on 360rumors.com using the pixpro software, tried it, and was hoping there would be a similar setting in Kolor AVP. see here: http://360rumors.com/2017/08/best-under ... umers.html

I actually just bought a 3rd camera, and a 3 cam mount as well.. Stitching above water with that in AVP has been a bit funky, but progressing, and I haven't been diving since I bought the 3rd cam and 3 cam mount, so no underwater footage to play with.

I'm seriously wondering if I shouldn't just break down and buy the SeaDak from 360 heros.. But at $1400, for just the housing (not bad considering $6k for the Abyss, and yes, I actually have 7 gopros if I got the abyss, have a 7 cam "cube" that was supposed to add FOV with the additional camera for underwater, but it fails miserably).. Thats when I changed direction and went with the Kodaks..

Sometimes I feel like I am pioneering a whole new field, considering underwater 360 video seems to be the domain of the super expensive rigs (aka production companies, and not your average joe).. I want to keep it somewhat affordable, as I am writing a course for scuba divers, but man, the learning curve gets expensive!!!

no avatar
WayneBG

Info

by WayneBG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:39 pm

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that smooth/sharp blending option before. I've been using a distance of 1.2 and living with a dark band at the stitch line.

I tried using AVP/Giga for stitching...once... There just wasn't enough image overlap for good control points in my underwater clips. Also, the AVP audio sync doesn't seem to work as well as Kodak's, though it's easy enough to figure out the offset in an editor like Vegas.

I've thought about going the 3 camera route, but the battery life of the sp360 4k's isn't long enough for my dives. As a result I'm currently using two pairs of cameras, running the first pair 'til their batteries get low and switching to the other pair. To go down the 3 camera path I would need two more cameras and 6 new single camera underwater housings!!!

no avatar
nagel420

Topic author
Info

by nagel420 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 am

How long do you film for per dive? Whats the avg water temp? My dives are typically 45-60 mins in tropical reefs at 82F, (depending on depth and the outfit I am diving with), and I never run my cams for the whole time. (May prove a bit more challenging with 3, constantly starting and stopping without the use of the remote). I haven't been able to record non-stop for more than 20-30 mins or I get condensation from the camera warming up (regardless of how many anti fog inserts I used). If I do 2-4 min clips, with a few mins between them, I don't get the condensation.

no avatar
WayneBG

Info

by WayneBG » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 am

I dive in the Monterey CA area. The water temperatures range from the high 40's to mid 50's F. My dives range from 40 to 90 minutes. I have a set of cameras running throughout the dive, shooting 15 to 60 second clips. Putting 4 no fog strips into the case with each camera has pretty much resolved the fogging issue---it depends on the relative humidity when I close the case.

I have the cameras hanging below a DIY tray (GoPro 3D rig on top). I have a washer rubber banded to the tray and use it to tap the tray a few times at the beginning of each clip to help with the synchronization.

Here's my most recent dive, cut short by stinging Jelly Fish (Sea Nettles):

https://youtu.be/z9MOlocwYvw