Panoshoot Newbie needs some input...  

Support on the Panoshoot device
no avatar
tcgass

Panoshoot Newbie needs some input...

by tcgass » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am

Hi

I recently bought a Panogear with Panoshoot to replace my GigaPan Epic100 I was using for several years. The Panogear looks great, and after the lecture of the manual it was rather easy to install Panoshoot, make the update to the newest SW release and hop out for a test shooting. I did NOT manage to install papywizard - neither on my mac (I'm using 10.8), nor on my PD Windwows 7 or my Acer Netbook with Windows 8. I simply can't figure out how to set up the virtual com ports for the bluetooth connection - but that's another theme I will put in a thread in the appropriate forum.

I have a couple of questions regarding Panoshoot:

1. In "Camera Profile" under FoV, orientation gives choices of landscape.left and landscape.rigth. What does left and right refer to? The position of the Panogear to the camera or vice versa? If I have set up Panogear to the rigth of my camera shooting in landscape mode, do I have to select .left or .right?

2. Under "Smart Calibration" i see an iPhone picture and the message: "Smart Calibration not available on this device". ??? Does that refer to an iPhone or is smart calibration not available on my Panoshoot module?

3. Under "Config" I see the entry "default joystick runner" - what's the purpose of that?

4. When shooting a panorama, is it possible to change the shot sequence to columns first and then rows, and how can this be achieved?

Thanks for all your input and help

Thomas

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:28 am

tcgass wrote:Hi

I did NOT manage to install papywizard - neither on my mac (I'm using 10.8), nor on my PD Windwows 7 or my Acer Netbook with Windows 8. I simply can't figure out how to set up the virtual com ports for the bluetooth connection - but that's another theme I will put in a thread in the appropriate forum.

Thomas

Be aware that Papywizard enumerates serial ports from zero.

So, with Windows, you may enter 'COM1' or '0'; 'COM2' or '1' and so on.

Mac is a different issue.

What Bluetooth-TTL adapter do you have for the Panogear mount?

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
panoramicessentials.com

by panoramicessentials.com » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:29 am

tcgass wrote:Hi

I recently bought a Panogear with Panoshoot to replace my GigaPan Epic100 I was using for several years. The Panogear looks great, and after the lecture of the manual it was rather easy to install Panoshoot, make the update to the newest SW release and hop out for a test shooting. I did NOT manage to install papywizard - neither on my mac (I'm using 10.8), nor on my PD Windwows 7 or my Acer Netbook with Windows 8. I simply can't figure out how to set up the virtual com ports for the bluetooth connection - but that's another theme I will put in a thread in the appropriate forum.

I have a couple of questions regarding Panoshoot:

1. In "Camera Profile" under FoV, orientation gives choices of landscape.left and landscape.rigth. What does left and right refer to? The position of the Panogear to the camera or vice versa? If I have set up Panogear to the rigth of my camera shooting in landscape mode, do I have to select .left or .right?

2. Under "Smart Calibration" i see an iPhone picture and the message: "Smart Calibration not available on this device". ??? Does that refer to an iPhone or is smart calibration not available on my Panoshoot module?

3. Under "Config" I see the entry "default joystick runner" - what's the purpose of that?

4. When shooting a panorama, is it possible to change the shot sequence to columns first and then rows, and how can this be achieved?

Thanks for all your input and help

Thomas

Thomas,

I hope this helps clear up your questions.

1. The left and right refer to the position of the camera when looking through the viewfinder relative to the Panogear. If you try to setup a Pano by defining the FoV you will notice purpose of this because Panoshoot will not accept the corners if the camera is in the wrong position. For example, when you are in Portrait-right the standard is to set the top left and bottom-right corners. However if the camera is in the portrait right position from your perspective what Panoshoot reads as up is down and vice versa. Left and right are absolute. It is the pitch that is inversed.

2. Smart Calibration is not available on the iPhone. This feature is intended for astronomy application and is not fully developed at this time. It does however work with android devices but the result does not add any benefit for panoramic photography application.

3. Panoshoot has a function that lets you run a default mosaic without the use of any external device. Simply hold the joystic button down for 4-5 seconds and Panoshoot will initiate the default mosaic profile.

4. Currently this feature is not available unless you create your own preset for a specific pano and import using the import CSV function under presets.

no avatar
tcgass

by tcgass » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your explanations! I tried again, but still I'm not able to connect papywizard to my Panogear. As far as I understood, when shooting far from any WiFi network, I have to connect to the panoshoot module via it's IP 192.168.245.1, which works fine (I can also use the built in UI). So within papywizard under "plugins" I have to set the ports to bluetooth, and then trying different virtual comports unter "driver", correct? This might also be a bluetooth issue, since when trying to chose the MAC address of the gear, I get an error message telling me that "no bluetooth adapter is detected"...

This is all very confusing to me (I'ld rather go out shooting panos instead of doing IT work here ;-)

I work on an Acer netbook with Windows 8 and Bluetooth 4.0 installed - however, as I said before, I'm a MAC guy and only use Windows because of papywizard and am not very common to Windows 8... Do I need an additional bluetooth adapter?

Thomas

no avatar
tcgass

by tcgass » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi panoramicessentials.com

thanks for your detailed explanations! That's of great help! Hopefully I will soon be able to fix everything - I simply don't want to go back to my old GigaPan, on the other hand... this all seems to be very complicated and complex to set up correctly... :-/

Thomas

no avatar
panoramicessentials.com

by panoramicessentials.com » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm

tcgass wrote:Hi panoramicessentials.com

thanks for your detailed explanations! That's of great help! Hopefully I will soon be able to fix everything - I simply don't want to go back to my old GigaPan, on the other hand... this all seems to be very complicated and complex to set up correctly... :-/

Thomas

Thomas,

Sorry I did not interpret this correctly the first time. With Panoshoot you no longer need to use PapyWizard. Panoshoot is a stand alone wireless control solution for the Panogear. When you connect to the Panoshoot via Wi-Fi go to url: 192.168.245.1 and here you will have complete control over the Panoshoot. PapyWizard is not needed.

Just make sure your Panoshoot module is up-to-date with the latest firmware. Check in the information section of the UI and the check the download page at http://www.panoshoot.com/index.php/download. After firmware update 98 you will need to update to firmware build 99 via internet.

Adam

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 pm

tcgass wrote:Hi Andrew,

thanks for your explanations! I tried again, but still I'm not able to connect papywizard to my Panogear. As far as I understood, when shooting far from any WiFi network, I have to connect to the panoshoot module via it's IP 192.168.245.1, which works fine (I can also use the built in UI). So within papywizard under "plugins" I have to set the ports to bluetooth, and then trying different virtual comports unter "driver", correct? This might also be a bluetooth issue, since when trying to chose the MAC address of the gear, I get an error message telling me that "no bluetooth adapter is detected"...

I work on an Acer netbook with Windows 8 and Bluetooth 4.0 installed - however, as I said before, I'm a MAC guy and only use Windows because of papywizard and am not very common to Windows 8... Do I need an additional bluetooth adapter?

Thomas

You cannot connect Papywizard to the Panogear mount via Panoshoot.

Papywizard and Panoshoot are two different separate ways of controlling the Panogear mount.

If you wish to use Papywizard then, yes, you need a Bluetooth-TTL adapter (which you connect to the mount instead of Panoshoot) like this one :

http://www.papymerlin.com/interface-%C3%A9lectronique/

http://magasin.skivr.com/en/accessoires-panogear/155-module-bluetooth-pour-tete-motorisee-panogear.html
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Return to Panoshoot