Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:56 pm 

The Celestron AllView head currently supports camera + lens nodal point offsets of up to 150 mm. The current camera mount rails are 170 mm in length. It's not enough for my favorite camera and lens which ideally needs about 300 mm to set the nodal point offset and take Nadir shots pointing straight down.

I am going to make a number of extension pieces for myself, to solve this problem.

Photos of the work in progress will appear here in this thread. There will be a delay of about 8 weeks before I can make progress. This is because I am having some major surgery this Friday 2nd Nov (lumbar fusion) to fix my back problems. The reason for advance notification is to see if say 30 other people would want a set of extension pieces, in which case the time and effort to program up a CNC numerical control (NC/Gerber) file for a small production run might be justified. If there are 30 sets of parts being made at the same time, then it would also be viable to get the parts anodized in matt black to match the other parts of the Celestron AllView head.

The parts list will comprise:
[uli]One extended portrait mode mount rail, 320 mm in length.[/uli][uli]One adjustable bracket to provide a more secure camera clamp, preventing rotation.[/uli][uli]3 Allen screws to secure the lower part of the head extender to the base using existing mounting points in the base.[/ul][uli]3 Allen screws to secure the upper part of the head extender to the lower part.[/uli][uli]Note: we will use the existing 3 Allen head machine screws to attach the vertical head to the upper part of the head extender[/uli]
If there are not 30 people interested then I'll make a one-off just for me, using a manual milling machine, and I won't bother with the NC/Gerber programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 pm 

RobSherratt wrote:
It's not enough for my favorite camera and lens which ideally needs about 300 mm to set the nodal point offset and take Nadir shots pointing straight down.

300mm . . . what camera/lens is that? Nadir shots pointing straight down rarely make sense - but in the AllView´s case you can shoot aside the base by turning the vertical arm, so it might work.
The question is: what focal-length do you use? You know that a L-bracket provides more options to adjust the camera/lens fore- and backward?

best, Klaus

P.S.: Josef (Panoneed) makes an extremely versatile L-bracket. I´ll drop you his mail-adress.

Last edited by klausesser on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am 

klausesser wrote:
300mm . . . what camera/lens is that? Nadir shots pointing straight down rarely make sense - but in the AllView´s case you can shoot aside the base by turning the vertical arm, so it might work.
The question is: what focal-length do you use? You know that a L-bracket provides more options to adjust the camera/lens fore- and backward? P.S.: Josef (Panoneed) makes an extremely versatile L-bracket. I´ll drop you his mail-adress.

Hi Klaus,

Yes please do send me Joseph's email address. I don't need a full L bracket, just a rail that is long enough for use with the AllView L bracket.
I have six different lenses for my Canon EOS 500D, but my favorite because of the quality of the images is an EF-S f2.8 17mm-55mm.
The extension rail to 330 mm will permit nodal offset for all my lenses including the EF-S 18mm to 200mm telephoto. I use portrait mode mounting.
The standard rails are max. 180 mm and will not allow nodal adjustment for the bigger lenses.
About the vertical extension pieces - I don't want to risk the camera + lens ever hitting the base of the mount if the software config is wrong.

Best regards,
Rob