Aldeyarfoss  

Share what you've done with Autopano Pro.
Montrez nous vos oeuvres !
no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Aldeyarfoss

by snaefell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:14 pm

A number of waterfalls are located at the norhtern edge of the iceland highlands. One of them is the Aldeyarfoss, falling 20 meters into a basin of basalt columns. I know that the pano could be brighter on the right side, but it was a rather windy day and light changed very quick.

fma38

Info

by fma38 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:17 pm

What a great place! And very nice pano. I think these kind of points of view are not easy; I'm always unsatisfied of my panos in such situation...
Frédéric

trekker317

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by trekker317 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:41 pm

Impressive picture of an impressive place but still... over-sharpened. Try do reduce your sharpness and don't hesitate to play with shadows and light : it gives contrast and volume. If you have Photoshop, many tools can transform a good picture in an excellent one. But, I agree, it's a matter of experiment with Photoshop. Beeloba gave us some tips that we use from time to time (Hello Beeloba, how are you ?). There is no "receipt", just the experiment. Sometimes, it works, but not always. You have the opportunity of shooting something exceptional. Try to give the best of it.

"Ma Trekker"

no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Info

by snaefell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:15 pm

trekker317 wrote:Impressive picture of an impressive place but still... over-sharpened. Try do reduce your sharpness and don't hesitate to play with shadows and light :

Any hints and ideas are welcome. I am far away from being a crack in PS...

trekker317

Info

by trekker317 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:37 pm

snaefell wrote:
trekker317 wrote:Impressive picture of an impressive place but still... over-sharpened. Try do reduce your sharpness and don't hesitate to play with shadows and light :

Any hints and ideas are welcome. I am far away from being a crack in PS...

It's quickly made, just to make you understand what I mean. I think that for that sort of landscapes, vivid colours are a better choice. May be you won't appreciate, you're right to think by your own and not to find it good. Here's my own version of your waoouuuh landscape (more saturated colours, more shadows and lights, that's all) :

"Ma"

no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Info

by snaefell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:05 pm

trekker317 wrote:It's quickly made, just to make you understand what I mean. I think that for that sort of landscapes, vivid colours are a better choice. May be you won't appreciate, you're right to think by your own and not to find it good. Here's my own version of your waoouuuh landscape (more saturated colours, more shadows and lights, that's all) :

"Ma"

Basically you changed contrast and saturation, right?
And there is another thing: The calibration of the screens involved. Showing pictures on different computers alsways gives different results.

no avatar
360 Degree

Info

by 360 Degree » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Not sure if it was appreciated manipulating others photos, but since someone else did it, I thought I'd have a go. Here it is with some curves adjustments. Unfortunately, some of the highlights in the sky and waterfall were totally blown out, so they were beyond saving.

If your camera has it available, check the histogram or bracket the exposures.

Last edited by 360 Degree on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekker317

Info

by trekker317 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Yes, saturation and contrast often give volume, natural sharpness. Using Photoshop, there are many roads to reach the same goal. You can use this tool or this tool, it's not important. What's important is the result. I have my own preferences, but the other photographers have their own and personal tools. What I don't like on a photography (portrait, landscape...), it's when the light is equal everywhere : no mystery, no depth. I think it's just a little more added to a photography (it takes no more than 10 seconds) but it can give it its best. Sorry for my bad english.

"Ma"

no avatar
sandpan

Info

by sandpan » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Very very nice indeed!! I had to look at some of your other panos and they are just a beautiful. I find the basalt crystal layers to be just so strange and interesting . We have a lot of those basalt crystals formations here in washington ,but I don't think I have ever seen any more dramatic than the ones you have in Iceland
Last edited by sandpan on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taf

Info

by taf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm

wonderful pano ! Great place...
Look. There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up !

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Nice place.

I find the original shot a bit too washed out (no black anywhere), but I find Trekker317's version too contrasty. This is because the foamy water is still blown out. If you still have the raw files then you should be able to recover the water foam texture very easily and then do what Trekker317 did :]

360 Degree your version looks way too washed out here, perhaps your monitor needs adjusting?

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:02 pm

Nice view. Always like water in movment.

As said by DrSlony, if you have original RAW files, you can certainly preserve more details in water and in clouds at upper-right. Don't worry so much about darker rocks on middle-right, it's easier to recover shadows with picture editing software.

Continue to show us nice view of Iceland that I never visited.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Info

by snaefell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:10 pm

360 Degree wrote:Not sure if it was appreciated manipulating others photos, but since someone else did it, I thought I'd have a go.

Ich have no problems with that. As long as you are not hand them around as "your" photos. Its often easier to show a picture than to write a long text.

360 Degree wrote:Here it is with some curves adjustments. Unfortunately, some of the highlights in the sky and waterfall were totally blown out, so they were beyond saving.

This was some compromise when I converted the RAW files in order not to loose the shadows completely. The other problem of this day was the light, which changed very fast due to a lot of wind. I have a number of 6x9 slides, which look better, since I can wait for the right light for one exposure, but this proved impossible for many.

no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Info

by snaefell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:15 pm

marco-pano wrote:As said by DrSlony, if you have original RAW files, you can certainly preserve more details in water and in clouds at upper-right. Don't worry so much about darker rocks on middle-right, it's easier to recover shadows with picture editing software.

I have the RAW files and I will take another look at them in the next days. If I remember correct, there should be some improvement possible in the water, but I doubt that for the upper right corner. This is in the direction where the sun was, so they are most likely overexposed. If I get another result, I will definitely show it here. Thanks for the comments (which are always welcome).

marco-pano wrote:Continue to show us nice view of Iceland that I never visited.

Just come around and visit it. It's nice here (probably not at the moment with strong storm and temperatures around 0°C).

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:37 pm

snaefell wrote:...Just come around and visit it. It's nice here (probably not at the moment with strong storm and temperatures around 0°C).

OK, I'll not come today. But rocks + water + storm, you may take nice pictures from inside your sweet home :)
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
mhleo

Info

by mhleo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:14 pm

Hi Snaefell!
Your panos are great! I really love Iceland. I thought I'd give it a go as well and try to enhance the water aspect to show how turbulent it is.

no avatar
beeloba

Info

by beeloba » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:38 pm

I couldn't resist and give a try myself, the subject is so great :cool:

Last edited by beeloba on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Info

by snaefell » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:27 pm

mhleo wrote:Hi Snaefell!
Your panos are great! I really love Iceland. I thought I'd give it a go as well and try to enhance the water aspect to show how turbulent it is.

Yes, I have a new version. I converted the pictures for the panorama with different settings to get more structure in the water.
Since some people found this funny, wouldn't it be an idea to introduce a forum for this kind of purpose? Discussions of photos and what could be done better? I like this, since I can only learn when people tell me, what they think is not ok or could be done better.

Last edited by snaefell on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mhleo

Info

by mhleo » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I think that is a great idea!

taf

Info

by taf » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 pm

your last version is great !!!
Look. There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up !

no avatar
beeloba

Info

by beeloba » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:04 pm

I really love when a picture 'issue' becomes a game, not a challenge, and a real help for all of us…
The last one is greater since you reduced the contrast in the water…
I try again to post an other option :)

Last edited by beeloba on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
snaefell

Topic author
Info

by snaefell » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:01 pm

beeloba wrote:I really love when a picture 'issue' becomes a game, not a challenge, and a real help for all of us…
The last one is greater since you reduced the contrast in the water…
I try again to post an other option :)

Also nice. I likd this a lot, we can probably do this more often?

no avatar
beeloba

Info

by beeloba » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:45 pm

We already did it sometimes, but it happened to be more in the French section…
Not easy !!
No problem when the author answers, and by the way plays the game, it's not always the case…
Probably a misunderstanding or an ego issue :)
We have to deal with that too! :rolleyes:
Last edited by beeloba on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
kzaugg

Info

by kzaugg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:38 pm

snaefell,
Very nice picture. Iceland has so much beauty for such a small country.
I think you made a nice compomise between not blowing our more of the sky, and still having good detail in the shadows on the rocks.

Beeloba,
your first edit looked great.

Kendall