Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:17 am 

I have just purchased Autopano Pro after testing the demo version for a couple weeks,
All I can say is WOW – after working on panoramas in other software I was dreading working on my growing collection of panoramic shoots. This software is approaching exactly what I hoped digital photography and panoramic pictures should be like. I absolutely love it! Thank you very much for making my vision wider.

Here is one of my first projects done with version 1.1, no color correction, no touchups, taken handheld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:03 am 
Administrator

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the post. I must say waouh ! For the first post, it's a beautiful shot (it can be subject to debat, but I like the gradiant of contrast from left to right of the picture).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:28 am 

You made a peacefull panorama :)
I like it !

What camera/process did you use to get these colors ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:04 am 

A lovely pano but I would clone out the red dot (mooring?) near the end of the jetty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:41 pm 

f.simond wrote:
What camera/process did you use to get these colors ?

Let me correct myself - When I said no color correction I was refering to the color correction option inside of Autopano Pro.

To arrive at my perception of pleasing colors, I always shoot in RAW format and during the conversion process from RAW to TIF for this pano, I upped the Vibrancy option to where I felt the color was a good representation of what I saw on that peaceful morning. (The vibrancy option is a very nice option available inside of Pixmantec RawShooter software)

In reference to the gradient of the sky from left to right getting lighter - I found very few solutions in panoramic software that can handle that type of situation without horrible banding and just plain ugliness. Autopano Pro handled it like a champ!

bilzmale your suggestion is compelling and several times I just about did exactly that but for some reason I feel its a point of interest and can't bring myself to remove it. Maybe it does attract too much attention?

Thank you all for your kind comments and I hope to contibute more ideas and images soon.

P.S. The camera I use is a Canon 20D and in this case it was a 50mm Prime lens (my favourite lens)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:43 pm 

So the conversion you made is well done :)
Did you use standard Rawshooter colors profile, or "Color Engine" (Magne's profile) ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 pm 

f.simond wrote:
So the conversion you made is well done :)
Did you use standard Rawshooter colors profile, or "Color Engine" (Magne's profile) ?

Just the standard profile as far as I can tell :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:38 am 

capacious,

Well done... personally I would ditch the red buoy, and see in your original file the tree reflection on the left and the bottom of the boat are not cut off.

Why handheld? An image of this quality deserves to top notch treatment. While it is true that APP can handle situations like this, you're just asking for major ghosting issues shooting handheld. I know that you posted something in another thread about ghosting... that's something that I rarely fight w/ a pano head.

I had a few cases at the beach where the tripod slipped on wet rocks about an inch or so and it introduced all sorts of problems for me. Once you start getting near/far elements in the photos it will make a big difference.

Last edited by ckiely on Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:03 am 

ckiely wrote:
Why handheld? An image of this quality deserves to top notch treatment. While it is true that APP can handle situations like this, you're just asking for major ghosting issues shooting handheld. I know that you posted something in another thread about ghosting... that's something that I rarely fight w/ a pano head.

Very good You have answered one of my own personal questions. I was pretty sure that the ghosting was due to not using a pano head.

Here is my lame explanation as to why I dont use a pano head as of yet. :(

..... I ordered a panosourus after doing alot of research, but upon setting it up I realised I could only do so without using my battery grip. The battery grip for some odd reason doesnt have the tripod mount in the center of the lens but offset. This causes nothing but grief and in the end I decided the panosourus just wasnt the device for my setup. I still havent done any new research on a better solution. I was always hoping that given good enough software it wouldent matter. Autopano Pro approches this but as you say... you have almost no issues with ghosting ... so.. obviously it is an advantage to use a proper pano head and use the nodal point.

Am I correct in recalling that you use a nodal ninja?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:05 am 

> Am I correct in recalling that you use a nodal ninja?

Yes, and while it also is not perfect, it comes w/ the right config to set-up your camera even if the tripod mount is not in line w/ the lens.