Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:00 pm 

To my knowledge, this is the world’s first stitched spherical panorama of star trails in a vortex!!! It has taken several months and many attempts to come up with a method of shooting and stitching it, and I’ve discovered a few things that I can improve on my next attempt. I won’t give away all my secrets yet, but I’ll leave one big hint—there is an advantage to shooting spherical timelapses with a single camera/lens and a Panoneed robotic panning head over an array of several cameras. ;) The disadvantage is that it takes a lot longer to shoot enough panoramas to create a timelapse and/or star trails. I only had 7.5hrs from astronomic dusk to dawn with consistent darkness to shoot everything for this shot, including the two long exposure panoramas of the Milky Way and the ground that are the base layer for the image. The rest were all short exposures of fewer stars for the trails that are blended on top. Several airplanes overhead and head lamps of us walking by, etc. had to be removed too.

Changing the focal length in steps between panoramas and not during one was a little bit of a challenge to automate, and batch stitching was a nightmare as I never did find a way to automate sliding the camera on the nodal slide, so there is some parallax to contend with for closer objects like the tree branches. Plus I had to gradually change the .xml stitching files and PTGui project files from one focal length to another across hundreds of panoramas to match the true focal length.

Technical details: shot with a Really Right Stuff TVC-34L tripod w/ TA-3-LC-HK leveling base & 192 FAS Package nodal slide, Panoneed robotic head, two Promote Controls, Nikon D700 camera, and Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. Virtual tour created with PanoTour Pro 2.1.1.

http://www.aaronpriestphoto.com/panorama/2013/2013-09_Bold_Coast/

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 pm 

Simply stunning!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:03 pm 

aaronpriest wrote:

Hey Aaron!

Really great!!! Well done!

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:36 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Hey Aaron!

best, Klaus

Thanks Klaus! All taken with the Panoneed of course. =D

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:56 pm 

aaronpriest wrote:
klausesser wrote:
Hey Aaron!

best, Klaus

Thanks Klaus! All taken with the Panoneed of course. =D

Of course, man! =D :cool:

best to you, Klaus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 pm 
Administrator

That could have been 2014 panobook winner Aaron. I'm an absolute fan. Save it for next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:29 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
That could have been 2014 panobook winner Aaron. I'm an absolute fan. Save it for next year.

Haha, thanks! Took me too long to figure out how to stitch it! :-P

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:15 pm 

:) hope not such faky secrets like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdaImeQICo
Georg

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:36 am 

gkaefer wrote:
:) hope not such faky secrets like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swdaImeQICo
Georg

Man, that's been all OVER the place this week, haha! No, that doesn't really work with a 3D sphere. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:04 pm 

Aaron congratulations. Wonderful wonderful work.

I need to take a night pano (not stars as these beautiful panos) and I am afraid of the method I need to use since most of the pictures would be dark and difficult to stitch. Does someone have a link to a youtube video to do it?

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:13 pm 

rruiz wrote:
Aaron congratulations. Wonderful wonderful work.

I need to take a night pano (not stars as these beautiful panos) and I am afraid of the method I need to use since most of the pictures would be dark and difficult to stitch. Does someone have a link to a youtube video to do it?

Regards

What camera/lens and pano head will you use?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 pm 

Yeah, that's not much to go on without knowing more about your equipment and subject. It depends greatly on the camera and ISO sensitivity of your sensor, the aperture of the lens, the depth of field you need, the ambient light. Stitching a night photo is not much different from a day time one if you use long enough exposures though. An accurate panning head helps so you can align the photos to a grid for stitching stars or for underexposed dark areas where you can't find control points.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:32 pm 

Sorry Guys for my incomplete info:
- I have a modified Sony Nex7 in order to shot using a motorized Pano head. I have a Samyang 8mm but I love to use for my panos a 24mm Carl Zeiss.
My head is not a accurate panning head, so maybe the grid would be the best option

The pano has to be done still with some little light.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 pm 

rruiz wrote:
Sorry Guys for my incomplete info:
- I have a modified Sony Nex7 in order to shot using a motorized Pano head. I have a Samyang 8mm but I love to use for my panos a 24mm Carl Zeiss.
My head is not a accurate panning head, so maybe the grid would be the best option

The pano has to be done still with some little light.

I am still confused.

What motorised pano head do you have?

You don't need a motorised head to shoot with a Samyang 8mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:24 pm 

I have the e-filming PS-30B. I use it for my prime 24mm, not for the 8mm
Where can I read about the grid method?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:46 pm 

rruiz wrote:

I was referring to the "align to grid" feature of PTGui Pro. You can also do something similar with AutoPano Giga's Gigapan import wizard. Either method will let you pre-arrange the photos to a pattern if you shot them accurately every x degrees and it helps for featureless skies, dark shadows, and large areas where you can't find control points. Doesn't matter if you shot manually or used a robotic head as long as you were properly aligned on your no parallax point and you know how many degrees you turned horizontally and vertically for each shot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:18 am 

rruiz wrote:

This thing?:
http://www.efilming.com/index.php?_m=mo ... w&p_id=150

It looks as if it should be possible to set camera/lens at the NPP.

Can you?

If your set up can be used to shoot a regular grid/matrix on images with a consistent degree of overlap between adjacent images then you should be able to create a Papywizard XML format data file to help APP/APG place the images when stitching.

The Papywizard software is free and can be used in simulation mode - not attached to a Panoguide/Merlin mount - to create a file that records the co-ordinates of each shot which is the used with the Papywizard Import wizard in APP/APG.

This file is used with the APP/APG papywizard Import wizard to help to the stitcher locate 'featureless' images that might otherwise be left out of the stitch.

Papywizard: http://www.papymerlin.com/t%C3%A9lechar ... d/windows/ (main Papywizard site http://www.papywizard.org appears to be down at the moment).

Attachments:
1-apg-pw-import.jpg
1-apg-pw-import.jpg [ 209.39 KiB | Viewed 450 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:30 am 

aaronpriest wrote:
rruiz wrote:

I was referring to the "align to grid" feature of PTGui Pro. You can also do something similar with AutoPano Giga's Gigapan import wizard. Either method will let you pre-arrange the photos to a pattern if you shot them accurately every x degrees and it helps for featureless skies, dark shadows, and large areas where you can't find control points. Doesn't matter if you shot manually or used a robotic head as long as you were properly aligned on your no parallax point and you know how many degrees you turned horizontally and vertically for each shot.

I think the APP/APG Gigapan Import wizard assumes that images are in landscape orientation because that's the only orientation supported by Gigapan robotic heads.

Some years ago I requested that Kolor develop/offer a more flexible 'Generic-grid' Import wizard based on the Gigapan Import wizard. Alexandre said it would be easy but it has never appeared.

However you can Export as XML from APP/APG - so if you get a good stitch with a particular shooting pattern, you can export that pattern of images as a Papywizard-compatible XML file for use with other image sets shot using the same pattern.

Attachments:
2-apg-pw-import.jpg
2-apg-pw-import.jpg [ 154.83 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:55 pm 

mediavets wrote:
I think the APP/APG Gigapan Import wizard assumes that images are in landscape orientation because that's the only orientation supported by Gigapan robotic heads.

Interesting. I used to shoot in portrait orientation when I had a Gigapan as I had the Really Right Stuff plate for it and used a lens collar, and I'm pretty sure I used to stitch with APG back then, but maybe those were all done with PTGui. Now I use a Panoneed which creates Papywizard compatible .xml files which I find far easier in either program.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:09 pm 

mediavets wrote:
rruiz wrote:

If your set up can be used to shoot a regular grid/matrix on images with a consistent degree of overlap between adjacent images then you should be able to create a Papywizard XML format data file to help APP/APG place the images when stitching.

The Papywizard software is free and can be used in simulation mode - not attached to a Panoguide/Merlin mount - to create a file that records the co-ordinates of each shot which is the used with the Papywizard Import wizard in APP/APG.

This file is used with the APP/APG papywizard Import wizard to help to the stitcher locate 'featureless' images that might otherwise be left out of the stitch.

Papywizard: http://www.papymerlin.com/t%C3%A9lechar ... d/windows/ (main Papywizard site http://www.papywizard.org appears to be down at the moment).

Guys I really apreciate all the comments received
Mediavets yes my pano head can set camera/lens at the NPP
I will take some time to read how to create a Papywizard XML format data file ... looks to be my solution !!

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU TO ALL...

NOTE: Someone has a copy of the Papywizard manual ? Current page is down
My OS is in Spanish, (my current language) but I use to work with english versions. Someone knows how to change software language?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:07 pm 

rruiz wrote:
Mediavets yes my pano head can set camera/lens at the NPP

Good.
Quote:
I will take some time to read how to create a Papywizard XML format data file ... looks to be my solution !!

I'll try and do a run through with screenshots later for you.

Quote:
NOTE: Someone has a copy of the Papywizard manual ? Current page is down

No it was an online Wiki.

Quote:
My OS is in Spanish, (my current language) but I use to work with english versions. Someone knows how to change software language?

As I recall it should automagically adjust to the current system language if supported.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:12 pm 

latest available snapshot on Archive.org is from Oct 2013:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131016230 ... izard.org/
some other tips:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... _data_file
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... umentation

Georg

PS: http://www.papywizard.org is available by now for me....
... so download "latest development" Version 2.1 from http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/Download
you can run papywizard in offline mode so you can create dummy XML files for yourself....

Attachments:
2014-06-15 20_15_50-.png
2014-06-15 20_15_50-.png [ 94.41 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:38 am 

beautiful effects ! GG :cool: