Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 am 

I originally created this one as a full 360-degree pano, but in the end I liked one particular part of it enough to make it a separate image:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 am 

Really nice. Could you tell us more about the settings. Was it taken at night (full moon) or at day, IR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:58 pm 

Tom D wrote:
Really nice. Could you tell us more about the settings. Was it taken at night (full moon) or at day, IR?

Daytime (around midday) in IR - but yes it does look like moonlight...

The body is a Pentax K7, but I modified it to replace the normal blocking filter with an 830nm IR-passing filter.
Lens is a Samyang 8mm. Daytime exposure with that camera is typically 1/60th at f/8, ISO 200, so much easier than trying to do IR shots via a lens-mounted filter. Uploading to the forum seems to have stripped out the EXIF data.

The original pano was intended to be the full 360x180, but when I assembled it I wasn't that keen on the rest of it. The tree, the shadow and the cloud just worked for me, so I cropped out that section.

Last edited by karma mechanic on Sat May 11, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:07 pm 

Thanks for the explanations. Great picture!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:05 am 

SAMYANG 8mm & Filter? I have one... how can you mount a filter when the surface of the lens is not flat...?
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 am 

I think the filter is put on the sensor and not on the lens. The main drawback of this technic is that you have to modify your camera. Once the filter is put on the sensor, you can't use it the normal way anymore.

Am I right Karma mechanic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm 

Tom D wrote:
I think the filter is put on the sensor and not on the lens. The main drawback of this technic is that you have to modify your camera. Once the filter is put on the sensor, you can't use it the normal way anymore.

Am I right Karma mechanic?

Correct - this is a modified camera. Originally the sensor assembly has a plain glass that is used for ultrasonic dust shaking, then a filter that stops just about all IR from getting through, then the sensor itself. On mine I removed both glass layers and replaced them with the IR-passing filter. That has a cutoff of 830 nm wavelength, so is visually completely opaque, but the sensor itself is happy to see the IR. It doesn't distinguish any colour in that light, so the RAW file is pretty much greyscale right out of the camera.

It is unfortunate that the parts in question are about as deep as you can get inside the internals of the camera body, so not something that can be put in and taken out easily.

Some of my IR work is on my own website at www.richardgaddphotography.com or http://500px.com/richardgaddphotography
(I hate the way 500px uses square thumbnails - it is pretty useless for panos!)