Fiordland II (big time HDR)  

Share what you've done with Autopano Pro.
Montrez nous vos oeuvres !
no avatar
ckiely

Fiordland II (big time HDR)

by ckiely » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:30 am

Fiordland National Park
South Island, New Zealand

Fuji S3 Pro
Nikon 50mm lens
About 22 source frames + brackets
79 megapixel output

Big time HDR w/ the potential issues in the top left. I bracketed those shots around -6ev from the rest of the captures, which already had quite dark/light issues of their own.

no avatar
Jeefus

by Jeefus » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:48 am

Another very nice shot!
If I might be so bold as to offer a constructive criticism though: to my eye the HDR downrender has left the land forming the V around the sky looking a bit like you've used too much of the burn tool in Photoshop. You might be able to correct this with a bit of tweaking of the HDR settings.

Alternatively I might be tempted to stitch two versions of this shot - one of all the shots exposed for land detail and one set eposed for sky detail and then place them on separate layers in Photoshop and use a mask to place the properly exposed sky into the shot with properly exposed land. It looks as though there are some strong highlights on the trees in the foreground and some great colour in the water that have been dulled by the HDR process, and this masking technique might bring those out better.

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:10 am

Hello ckiely and Jeefus !
I personally love this shot and think it has a great potential.

Jeffus : To me water color is ok, do you think it could have more contrast ?
ckiely: Color variations between bottom and top of the trees seems a bit strange to me. It looks like yo had simply disabled color correction, letting the blender do the gradient.

Maybe you can get better results tuning color correction anchors. You can try to modify anchors to get the "right exposure" in several zone, and some pertinent anchors.

ps : do the bracketted shots have a same aperture ?
François Simond

no avatar
ckiely

by ckiely » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:34 pm

The image is very contrasty at the moment which I am not too pleased with. One of the issues that I am facing is that the HDR (to me) puts out a very low contrast image no matter what I do. Then when do edit them in PS I have some difficulty getting the contrast where it needs to be.

The major image file that I am working on has about 9 adjustment layers, so still plenty of room to work with this image!

PS yes, same f-stop, just about -6ev on the shutter speed.

no avatar
ckiely

by ckiely » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:24 pm

Lower contrast

no avatar
adhack

by adhack » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:20 pm

I acutally like the higher contrast one better because the 2nd one looks flat though probably more realistic.
Stock photography, Fine Art Prints, Photo Blog at www.rwongphoto.com

Return to Panorama gallery / Galerie de panoramas