Death Valley, California, USA  

Share what you've done with Autopano Pro.
Montrez nous vos oeuvres !
no avatar
Ridgeback

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Death Valley, California, USA

by Ridgeback » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:27 pm

I have been tinkering with Autopano Pro for a few years now, but I am no expert. I also only use small compact digital cameras. This panorama was taken in May 2011 using my new Panasonic TZ20. It consists of 18 images, stitched together in APP 2.0.9 (sorry folks, but 2.5.2 just does not produce good results, no matter what adjustments I make!). I also use Paint Shop Pro 12 for image adjustments. The pan needs work on the contrast and is a bit grainy but nevertheless, for a casual amateur, I am quite pleased with it. All handheld too - no tripod!

Badwater Flats, is the lowest point in North America, at 282 ft (86 metres) below sea level! By the time I got down here the temperature was 40 degrees C, but that was in May (usually about 50 degrees C in July)!

A little earlier in the day I got my first sight of the valley from a place called Dante's View, which is high up on the eastern side of the valley, above Badwater, at 5475 feet (1669 metres) above sea level. It was a very comfy 22 degrees C up there!

The (still!) partially snow-covered peak visible in the panorama, on the far (western) side of the valley is Telescope Peak, the highest spot in that range at 11043 ft (3366 m) above sea level, and the highest spot in California.

To get an idea of scale, have a careful look along and near the bottom edge of the panorama (about a quarter way up from the bottom edge) - can you see a handful of cars spread out along the road that runs almost the entire width of the pan? You should be able to spot at least 3 cars if you zoom in. The immensity of the valley is very impressive!

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6061/badwaterflatsdeathvalle.jpg
Last edited by Ridgeback on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taf

Info

by taf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 am

i have travelled twice in death valley and each time, the temperature was 51°c (June)...
It was like a dryer machine... ;)

Nice pano...
Look. There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up !

no avatar
aaron

Info

by aaron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Wonderful! For sure I will not be able to get there in the near future, so this panorama make feel the taste of that astonishing landscape!

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:28 am

Just a thought.... if you used the Neutalhazer plugin would it have cleared it up a bit.....

D...

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:12 am

Destiny wrote:Just a thought.... if you used the Neutalhazer plugin would it have cleared it up a bit.....

D...

Why?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:35 am

Destiny wrote:Just a thought.... if you used the Neutalhazer plugin would it have cleared it up a bit.....

D...

how ?

I noticed that Ridgeback was using APP - Is this plugin available here or is it just APG as I have tried looking for it in APP and can't see it ?

best
Martin

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:08 am

oh... not sure Martin.... perhaps not... I would like to see what.. or if there is any difference in this image after using this plugin.... just to see what the effect would produce....

D...

no avatar
Ridgeback

Topic author
Info

by Ridgeback » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Just a thought.... if you used the Neutalhazer plugin would it have cleared it up a bit.....

Destiny, I had a search on the web for that and turned up nothing. Can you tell me where it is available/what it is?

I acknowledge that I am very much a beginner at this sort of thing, though I have tinkered lightly with panoramas for a couple of years, and have been using Paint Shop Pro for many years. I was aware that the distant mountain range could do with more contrast or 'punch', and I did experiment with doing that by a manual brush - hard work on a large panorama!

Happy to hear any more feedback, and thanks for your comments! :)

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:10 am

Hi.... The plugin I was referring to is in apg.....If you don't have this version its well worth upgrading... I used it once and it was great.... I went on an early morning shoot and put the dehazer though the images and they looked so much better.... But if you shot your images as RAW you can also edit so much and you can also use Lightroom....

These snap shots will direct you to the plugin....

PS.. Just a small point.... PaintShop pro is a great program, I use it with my students since its cheap but Photoshop and Lightroom are soooooo much better.... Try downloading the trial versions and give them a play....

D....

Last edited by Destiny on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:15 am

Hey... just a quick point about the Neutralhazer plugin, I have had great success with just normal photos.. After fusion, some can look a bit misted but this plugin can make them look a lot clearer.... Its actually a really handy plugin....

Destiny

no avatar
Ridgeback

Topic author
Info

by Ridgeback » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Destiny, thanks very much for that! Very kind of you to take the trouble with the screen captures. I guess I shall have to give APG some serious consideration. I just hope that it's abilities are better than those of APP 2.5.2, which I have found disappointing when it comes to blending. APP 2.0.9 works so much better ...... for me. ;)

I last toyed with Photoshop 8 a few years back. I acknowledge Photoshop's position at the top pf the graphics-handling tree, but for a photo and panorama hobbyist like myself (I use a pocket Lumix TZ-20 camera, for goodness sake! - http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/DMC-TZ20/Overview/6914524/index.html?view=&colourVar=DMC-TZ20EB-A) it is damn expensive. I can't justify that really. Paintshop Pro has done me proud, since I first used it as version 3, and I am now on version 12.

Thanks for your advice folks - appreciated!
Last edited by Ridgeback on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.