HTML5 option...  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it.
no avatar
jarane

HTML5 option...

by jarane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi everyone,
as we all know, Klaus already developed an html5 option within krpano.
It would be FANTASTIC that APT had a checkbox option for generating tours for both flash and html5 versions for the iPhone and iPad.
I have already been rejected jobs for not being able to generate tours in html5.

Cheers,
E.C.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 pm

iPhone and iPad... need an seperate license to buy...

html5 do you've more detailed links...
I just found a posting from klaus from february saying that speed/quality from html5 is much behind flash:
http://www.krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=11698

Georg

no avatar
jarane

by jarane » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:32 am

html5 is in it's infancy still.
However it is the immediate future of the web.
Klaus was smart to understand this and went ahead and developed krpano for ipad & iphone (understood it's a separate license).
The guys at Kolor are always up-to-speed with the advancements in technology and I know (wishful thinking) that the next step to help us all in this time of transition between flash and html5
is to start developing APT to work simultaneously with the two of them.
As I mentioned in my previous post, it would be fantastic to have a checkbox to tell APT which of the two versions (or both of them) you want to output.
Again, just wishful thinking... but it would be nice.
It wouldn't be the first time Kolor surprises me with something amazing.

Cheers,
E.C.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:34 am

jarane wrote:I have already been rejected jobs for not being able to generate tours in html5.

Cheers,
E.C.

Really? By more than one potential client? What sort of businesses were these potential clients and why did they make such a demand?

Did they know what they were talking about or were they merely repeating the demented ranting of Steve Jobs against Flash (trying desparately to excuse the shortcomings of the ridiculous iPad, not that he need bother since I'm sure it only appeals to Apple cultists and those with more money than sense anyway).

Did these potential clients actually ask for tours 'generated' in HTML5, or did they ask for tours that could be viewed on the iPad and iPhone and iPod Touch?

Thinking about it a bit more, of course it makes very good sense to target those with more money than sense.;)
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
jarane

by jarane » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Ok... you are right mediavets.
Let's tell Kolor to stay away from html 5 as long as possible, not to jump on the wagon like the rest of the world is.
Remember that this forum is called "The Future" not "The Present".

If you don't want to go html 5 is your personal choice and you are entitled to it.
I, however think that there might be something to this html 5 thing and would like to include it in my tool chest for when a client requests it (as it already has).

Cheers,
E.C.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:03 am

jarane wrote:I, however think that there might be something to this html 5 thing and would like to include it in my tool chest for when a client requests it (as it already has).

Cheers,
E.C.

I agree that there is 'something to this HTML5 thing' but as far as I know (am I mistaken?) it is nowhere near being deliverable for virtual tours in a manner that can compete with what we can do using Flash today - so I don't think you need be too concerned about someone else is taking your clients' business away from you just because you can't yet deliver the 'HTML 5 solution'.

I asked why your client requested it; I would like to learn why they wanted an HTML5 solution rather than Flash. Perhaps you didn't ask?

As I understand it Klaus' krpano for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch cannot yet even handle hotspots to link panos into tours:
http://krpano.com/iphone/

And the resolution that iPhone and iPad can display is not too exciting:
"Only cubical panoramic images are supported at the moment!
And their size is limited (the exact size is unknown), for the iPhone cube face sizes like 480x480 to 640x640 seems to be good, and for the iPad something around 1024x1024 to 1280x1280. Just play around and find what size is good in your eyes.
BUT NOTE - too large images will crash the Mobile Safari Browser!"

There's been some discussion of HTML5 Vs Flash on the panoguide forum - you may like to see what others have had to say, for example:
http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/7841/
http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/7784/
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:23 pm

mediavets wrote:As I understand it Klaus' krpano for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch cannot yet even handle hotspots to link panos into tours:
http://krpano.com/iphone/

And the resolution that iPhone and iPad can display is not too exciting:
"Only cubical panoramic images are supported at the moment!
And their size is limited (the exact size is unknown), for the iPhone cube face sizes like 480x480 to 640x640 seems to be good, and for the iPad something around 1024x1024 to 1280x1280. Just play around and find what size is good in your eyes.
BUT NOTE - too large images will crash the Mobile Safari Browser!"

Iphone and iPad can´t handle Flash. For them it´s the only option to use Java or HTML5. Tours can be made via in thumbnails in the pano - not by
using hotspots.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
parisbyphoto

by parisbyphoto » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:34 pm

Support for this would be welcome.

no avatar
hankkarl

by hankkarl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:31 pm

klausesser wrote:Iphone and iPad can´t handle Flash. For them it´s the only option to use Java or HTML5. Tours can be made via in thumbnails in the pano - not by
using hotspots.

Can you use a clear thumbnail? (I.e. a transparent GIF or PNG)
Last edited by hankkarl on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:17 pm

hankkarl wrote:
klausesser wrote:Iphone and iPad can´t handle Flash. For them it´s the only option to use Java or HTML5. Tours can be made via in thumbnails in the pano - not by
using hotspots.

Can you use a clear thumbnail? (I.e. a transparent GIF or PNG)

Hi Hank!

Clever idea! Don´t know . . we´ll try to do so end of the week!

best to you, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
rhadams

by rhadams » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 am

I agree...I'm loosing business since my virtual tours cannot be viewed on the iPhone or iPad. It would be awesome to have an option in AutopanoTour to generate both Flash or HTML5 based tours....and have the code to detect what browser/platform being used..and render either flash or HTML5 based panoramic tours. :) I use SlideShowPro and SlideShowPro Director for creating dynamic slide shows that can be viewed on iPhones and iPads......using HTML5. Below is a link to this capability. Also OBEO (realtor virtual tour provider) offers support for virtual tours on apple products.

http://slideshowpro.net/news/archive/2010/07/announcing-slideshowpro-mobile.php/

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:37 am

rhadams wrote:I agree...I'm losing business since my virtual tours cannot be viewed on the iPhone or iPad.

Really?

Where are you located?

What sort of clients are demanding VTs that run on iDevices? Are we talking about real estate VTs here?

From whom are they getting what they want when you can't provide it, and what tools are they using to meet this demand?

I looked at the OBEO demo VT - it seemed to be a slideshow; and I didn't see anything about iDevices.

It has been suggested elsewhere that it would be more accurate to term panos that can be displayed on iDevices as 'Safari-specific' panos rather than HTML5 panos.
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:14 am

Don't worry. Some news will come soon with tour support on iPad / iPhone.

no avatar
sdphoto

by sdphoto » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:14 am

I am also losing jobs because of the Flash situation with Apple. It was only a few at first, but now I get turned down weekly. The potential clients have never asked for HTML5, but when they find out the panos will not play on iPads, they say no. They aren't going to anyone else, they just can't use them.

I am in Florida, and many Realtors are using iPads to show listings. Until there is an alternative (such as HTML5), we're out of luck with these people.

I prefer Flash myself, and tests have shown that in many cases Flash is faster than HTML5 and Java. I just hope Apple backs down and allows Flash on their Mobile devices.

Anyone who doesn't believe we are losing business because of the ban on Flash on Mobile devices is not looking at the big picture.

One possibility would be for Adobe to work on a Flash to HTML5 converter. As photographers, many of us have Flash installed alongside of Photoshop. Once the .SWF is created, a conversion could be made. I don't know if this is possible - just an idea.
Last edited by sdphoto on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:41 am

Hi there

As I read the quote below from hankkarl, to me it sounds like you are wondering if the Alpha channel in a 24bit png is supported by the thumb navigation.....

Well, yes it is.. You will have to do a few things though... First drag the slide.png from the data graphics folder into Photoshop or an application you use for image editing.. Its already a png so all you need to do is change the transparency level to 1 and save it as a 24bit png for the web. If you want the tab to be transparent too, then thats the strap in the graphics folder, just make that as transparent as you want, change the colour or what ever and save that as a 24bit png for the web...

If you want to make the thumbs themselves with effects like faded the edges, shape them or fade them down, give them colour effects then just drag the thumb/s from the graphics folder into Photoshop and save as a png for the web. Do this before you edit them so you can see whats happening better.. Use your eraser or brush to do as you want.. shape them etc.. then when done save them as a 24bit png for the web again making sure you save everything in the same folders as you found them... The original thumb/s are jpg files so now you have to open the xml file in Dreamweaver etc and find the graphic file and change the file extension from jpg to png...

Thats it.. done! Well.. I hope thats what you meant... :)

D

hankkarl wrote:Can you use a clear thumbnail? (I.e. a transparent GIF or PNG)
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:57 am

sdphoto wrote:I am also losing jobs because of the Flash situation with Apple. It was only a few at first, but now I get turned down weekly. The potential clients have never asked for HTML5, but when they find out the panos will not play on iPads, they say no. They aren't going to anyone else, they just can't use them.

I am in Florida, and many Realtors are using iPads to show listings. Until there is an alternative (such as HTML5), we're out of luck with these people.

Have you been in hibernation? ;)

Panotour Pro can output iDevice compatible virtual tours.
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 am

sdphoto, check this out.... if you haven't already done so....

D

http://www.krpano.com/iphone/
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
zdnet

by zdnet » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Hello,
I downloaded a trial version of Panotour Pro and the only option I see for export is Flash. I need to export as HTML 5.
I checked out the wiki http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Panotour_Pro_Documentation and I did not find how to export as HTML 5.
Can you outline how this can be done in the application?
Thank you,
ZD

Destiny

by Destiny » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 am

do you have Dreamweaver or similar....???

if you do I will run you though the steps to achieve a cross-over...

Destiny

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:25 am

zdnet wrote:Hello,
I downloaded a trial version of Panotour Pro and the only option I see for export is Flash. I need to export as HTML 5.
I checked out the wiki http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Panotour_Pro_Documentation and I did not find how to export as HTML 5.
Can you outline how this can be done in the application?
Thank you,
ZD

The ability to export 'mobile compatible' (HTML5) tours is disabled in the trial version.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Return to Panotour Future