Panotour and Oculus VR  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it.
no avatar
gbv30120

Panotour and Oculus VR

by gbv30120 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:19 am

Hello,

I see there are possibilities to make 360° videos available with Oculus VR.
However, how could I use my panotour visits with Oculus? Is there any options or plugin soon available?
If it doesn't exist yet, it could great as well!

bdd
Kolor Team

Re: Panotour and Oculus VR

by bdd » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:36 pm

gbv30120 wrote:Hello,

I see there are possibilities to make 360° videos available with Oculus VR.
However, how could I use my panotour visits with Oculus? Is there any options or plugin soon available?
If it doesn't exist yet, it could great as well!

To split screen for a single spherical panorama to see it in Occulus is "easy" (http://krpano.com/stereo3d/#top)
But to see a full tour in occulus is another tricky task : How to navigate from a scene to another ? Does all plugins and spots disappear ? etc etc...

We all, you and kolor, have to think about how the interface between the user and the tour should be done while the user has a HMD (Head Mounted Device) in front of his eyes.

Gérald

no avatar
AlaskaDave

by AlaskaDave » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:16 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I work for a university and we're building our own campus tour and trail guide using Panotour. It would be wonderful to have the tour viewable via. the Oculus at college fairs.

I see that one company has a solution, see video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMNY1R ... e=youtu.be It's toward the end of the video where they show how navigation is achieved.

no avatar
urke

by urke » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:54 pm

bdd wrote:How to navigate from a scene to another ? Does all plugins and spots disappear ? etc etc...

We all, you and kolor, have to think about how the interface between the user and the tour should be done while the user has a HMD (Head Mounted Device) in front of his eyes.

I would love to see an early implementation of Oculus support, even if it´s only experimental.

Navigation - how to navigate from one scene to another:
- Look and lean forward
- Look for 2 secs (as in the CNN video)
- Voice command (well, that´s for v2.0)
- Gestures using Leap Motion
- Key strokes/mouse button / presenter button

Anyway - just get it out quick with some simple options, and we can all start testing and give proper feedback on how to improve it.

And remember to include livepano!

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 am

One note: we have occulus and leap motion support on Kolor Eyes Desktop for displaying 360 video and the good feature is that it supports also 360 stills images. So just drag'n'drop a bunch of 360video and images and it will loop over them in the oculus.

no avatar
urke

by urke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:34 am

AlexandreJ wrote:One note: we have occulus and leap motion support on Kolor Eyes Desktop for displaying 360 video and the good feature is that it supports also 360 stills images. So just drag'n'drop a bunch of 360video and images and it will loop over them in the oculus.

Can you think of a good way to view single/sequecial livepano scenes? I guess the simplest solution would be to export the whole scene to a full 360 video in some way.

no avatar
spyboy

by spyboy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:53 pm

If any of you are familiar with the Microsoft Kinect sensor, the way software supporting it handle inputs is to use the hover for 'x' seconds method as mentioned above. This would require a cross-hair on the screen so the user has reference and when you put the cross-hair into the target hotspot zone then a circle around the cursor/cross-hair rapidly fills in, which usually is about 2-3 seconds. This allows for a user to move outside of the hotspot if they don't want to "click". Adding a delay before the circle starts to fill would also eliminate the flashing of the circle every time the cross-hair enters the target zone as the user is looking around.

no avatar
kremin

by kremin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Is there already an Development which will support a whole Panotour for the Oculus Rift? There is this new Standalone Player for Panotours and there is this Video-360 Player which supports the Oculus. Maybe there is already a Plan to support the Oculus in the Standalone Player, too?

We are very interested in a Player which supports the Oculus because we like to work with Panotour Pro. But we need to find or build a Player for the Oculus which is able to show more than only one Video or one 360° Picture.

Does anybody know if there are already some Milestones defined for the next Releases?

Best Regards
Daniel

benji33
Kolor Team

by benji33 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Version 2.4 will have a simple VR Mount export for mobile devices with VR glasses adapter.
For Oculus DK1 and DK2 it's a little different. We are waiting for Chrome and Firefox players with WebVR included to directly use the VR headset on the browser.

Return to Panotour Future