Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 am 

Hi All,

I've been a dedicated APG and PTP user for quite some time - primarily making tours for museums and galleries. Currently I'm faced with a couple decisions on the quality of tours.

One, I am capturing and creating at very high res (between 800MP and 3gigapixels per node). Now the PTP flash based output is great for web and stand alone viewing but I am having issues bringing this level of quality to mobile devices. I am however, concerned that the future of PTP will continue to be flash based (which in the mobile community is fading). Is there any news of this? I am also using krpano and pano2VR for mobile work arounds but find the process tedious and would hope to see Kolor replace this.

Also, I loved the Kolor eyes iPad app - can we expect to see something similar for non video based tours?
Any news on 2.0 being more html5 supported vs flash? Or having higher res mobile versions?

Finally, can anyone suggest the most effective method for creating large scale tours specifically tailored for mobile viewing.

Thanks!
Andy Romer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:28 am 

aromer wrote:
One, I am capturing and creating at very high res (between 800MP and 3gigapixels per node). Now the PTP flash based output is great for web and stand alone viewing but I am having issues bringing this level of quality to mobile devices. I am however, concerned that the future of PTP will continue to be flash based (which in the mobile community is fading).

You are wrong here ! PTP, as using KRPano underlying, is both Flash and HTML5 based (it uses one or the other depending of platform used to view the tour ! The issue of high-resolution on mobile platform is due to external issues: these devices have most of time very limited memory and so it's pretty difficult to load very high definition pictures without having device very slow or impossible to use, HTML5 is still a work in progress (draft till now) and so misses a lot of features only avalaible in Flash ! Hopefully HTML5 will evolve faster in future to support more functions useful for panorama rendering and then we can expect more capabilities on mobile devices.

aromer wrote:
Finally, can anyone suggest the most effective method for creating large scale tours specifically tailored for mobile viewing.

I guess you already have it with PTP, we just need to get technologies used in it to become more mature...

Vincèn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm 
Administrator

Be sure that we are working on all aspect of virtual tour under html5 video and non video.