Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:35 pm 

I have a client who wants to build a 3D tour of objects that would run on an iPhone & iPad. Basically it would work the way Panotour Pro works now except instead of being in the center and looking out at a room and having hotspots that move you through different spherical projections you'd be out looking in on the 3D object. You could rotate it around and click on different parts of it to look at individual object rotations of a sub-part/component/piece of it. I'm guessing this would have to be A NEW FEATURE REQUEST BUT if anyone knows if there's a way to do this now using Panotour now please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:30 pm 

gavinfarrell wrote:
I have a client who wants to build a 3D tour of objects that would run on an iPhone & iPad. Basically it would work the way Panotour Pro works now except instead of being in the center and looking out at a room and having hotspots that move you through different spherical projections you'd be out looking in on the 3D object. You could rotate it around and click on different parts of it to look at individual object rotations of a sub-part/component/piece of it. I'm guessing this would have to be A NEW FEATURE REQUEST BUT if anyone knows if there's a way to do this now using Panotour now please let me know.

Hi!

There´s an option for object-vr in KRPano. Very easy to handle, works fine.

But let us get it straight: are you talking of object-vr photography (which isn´t 3D at all) or about using 3D-objects (from Maya, Max, Cinema4D or so)
for being rotated in the pano-window?

Object-vr photography means photographing objects like shoes or so on a turntable and make them an object-vr file.
3D objects means having an object constructed as a 3D-model in a 3D-modelling and animation programm.

Both need to be treated in very different ways.

PanoTourPro can´t handle it - KRPano can.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 am 

Hi Gavin – That’s exactly what I have been working on for almost two years..
The most you can expect to achieve would be something like this below.. It has a few different ways to showcase products, including 360 products.. I am working on other ideas involving JavaScript Interactive 3D since that will work with iPads.
http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/FaceBookAC/AntiqueCentre.html

To achieve a true 3D walk-through you need to use programming to create a 3D environment or use 3D software like Maya, Max or Lightwave. The camera is placed on a path, but even that has limitation, so not really worth the effort..
I am now working on Flash Interactive 3D, but that has issues since the swf format is not compatible with iPads.. This is a great example of what I would like to achieve but its an entirely programmed 3D Virtual Tour… It lacks a sense of realism..
http://gallery.3dcity.de/frontend/

In my opinion, 3D scanning of products is the way to go, or where possible 3D CAD, and using a JavaScript player to spin, rotate and zoom, which is what I am aiming to achieve. I will then use a normal pano as we know it to capture the 360/3D environment. I will stick with ptp since it has a lot to offer with its flexibility in being able to add my own content. You could create multiple Virtual Tours without too much zoom to keep the files size as low as possible, so you travel from one Sphere-Bubble to the next but that would take a lot of work. I remember seeing a krpano walk-through of a car sales room but I cannot find it.. Hot spots can be added as in the example above. I can even do a full 360 walk-round of a product giving the illusion of walking around the product within the 360/3D Virtual Tour. So looking in on an object which can also be zoomed in on.. This is easy to do but takes a lot of processes to achieve. Like all 3D on a computer, you need to create the illusion of 3D since there is no physical 3D as such; even a 3D model has no physical form. 3D is created via light, shading and colour toning, Rendering and Lighting…

There are other ways to view 3D objects/products, like using 3D interactive models in a pdf. But the most exciting 3D development would be webGL. This offers amazing opportunities to include all kinds of things into a Virtual Tour, but its very early days and webGL has issues of its own.

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.