Mobile Button Theme(s) or editor  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it.
C360

Mobile Button Theme(s) or editor

by C360 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I just purchased Panotour Pro because I needed an intuitive solution for building a tour.

It works really nice up to a certain point.

Seeing that more and more clients are requesting mobile compatible panorama's and tours, I think it would be logical that there would be a mobile-aware version of the themes or control buttons. They should scale automatically depending on what kind of device is used to display them. Now the buttons are often (on a iPhone 4 for example) too small for fingertip navigation.

All this would be even more flexible if there was a Theme editor for us to create (and share) our own themes!
Henri Smeets, C360.NL
Nikon D300, 10.5mm, NN3, Phottix Remote, Agnos 6m carbon pole.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

C360 wrote:I just purchased Panotour Pro because I needed an intuitive solution for building a tour.

It works really nice up to a certain point.

Seeing that more and more clients are requesting mobile compatible panorama's and tours, I think it would be logical that there would be a mobile-aware version of the themes or control buttons. They should scale automatically depending on what kind of device is used to display them. Now the buttons are often (on a iPhone 4 for example) too small for fingertip navigation.

Welcome to the forum...

I see your point but if the current style of navigation bar buttons were large enough for finger navigation on an iPhone 4 would they not occupy too much display real estate and obscure the pano image underneath?

Perhaps what's required is a completely different alternative style of nav 'bar'/interface for iDevices with small screens?

krpano supports coding to deliver a different UI depending on the device used to view - but Panotour Pro doesn't yet offer any such feature.

All this would be even more flexible if there was a Theme editor for us to create (and share) our own themes!

True.

What do you envisage a Theme Editor would look like? A theme is after all merely XML formatted plain text and graphics.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

C360

by C360 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks Andrew for the warm welcome !

mediavets wrote:I see your point but if the current style of navigation bar buttons were large enough for finger navigation on an iPhone 4 would they not occupy too much display real estate and obscure the pano image underneath?
Perhaps what's required is a completely different alternative style of nav 'bar'/interface for iDevices with small screens?

Currently my index finger is wide enough to cover 5 icons and I do not have big hands/fingers, sure it is possible to press the right button if you are really careful and precise but that's not a particularly easy user experience. Surely with bigger buttons the image would be obscured relatively more compared to desktop view but hey, let's not forget that navigation is a key feature for panorama's otherwise we could just shoot movies. A show/hide or opacity change could also help.

Usually the width of a phone allows 5 or six buttons in portrait orientation without getting uncomfortable and it also requires some distance between the bottom bar that often contains interface elements as well. I do realize this does complicate things a bit, even between mobile devices there are a lot of aspect to keep in mind like screen size, ration, orientation pixel density etc.

mediavets wrote:krpano supports coding to deliver a different UI depending on the device used to view - but Panotour Pro doesn't yet offer any such feature.

What do you envisage a Theme Editor would look like? A theme is after all merely XML formatted plain text and graphics.

I know you can do a lot with KRpano, if you want or know how to use XML. A graphical interface like Pano2VR uses would be a great start, perhaps even more intuitive, snap drag-and-drop, popups etc.

Another thing I'd like to see is (instead of the dropdown-menu with ever growing options) to be able to choose interface items with checkboxes and preferably even to be able to change their order;

Flash/Desktop buttons
[x] Navigation
[x] Zoom
[x] Fullscreen
[ ] Home ( <- hardly ever use that anyway )
[x] Info
[x] Sound
[ ] -- spacer --
etc.

b]Mobile buttons[/b]
[ ] Navigation
[x] Zoom
[x] Fullscreen
[ ] Home
[x] Info
[ ] Sound
[ ] -- spacer --
etc.

And then of course being able to share/sell themes with/to other users would be great! They may need to be bundled in some kind of (zip) format to keep all parts together.
Last edited by C360 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henri Smeets, C360.NL
Nikon D300, 10.5mm, NN3, Phottix Remote, Agnos 6m carbon pole.

Return to Panotour Future