Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:31 pm 

I really love the new version of Panotour, the only thing that would make it more perfect is the ability to open .pdf's. This way manuals and blue prints or other documents could be linked inside the tour.
This would be a very powerful tool in an untapped industry. I'm trying to use panos in more industrial areas making accessing information easier and making safety documents relate-able to objects in the environment.
PDF's Please!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 am 

Robert Dampier wrote:
I really love the new version of Panotour, the only thing that would make it more perfect is the ability to open .pdf's. This way manuals and blue prints or other documents could be linked inside the tour.
This would be a very powerful tool in an untapped industry. I'm trying to use panos in more industrial areas making accessing information easier and making safety documents relate-able to objects in the environment.
PDF's Please!!!!!

You can link a hotspot to a PDF - it will open in another tab - but perhaps this isn't what you had in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:10 am 

I was looking to be able to embed the file in the tour, most of the documents I deal with are proprietary to the company and aren't open on the web. I'm trying to create safety and inspection tours that can be used in safety training and inspections. The idea being that someone could click on a piece of machinery and the blue print or manual could be opened and viewed, but most of these are in pdf format and can be zoomed in on.
This is the missing piece to my pano business taking off and becoming a standard in the industrial arena.

I hope this file format could soon be added to the object link.
Thanks for your input!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:29 am 

Robert Dampier wrote:
I was looking to be able to embed the file in the tour, most of the documents I deal with are proprietary to the company and aren't open on the web. I'm trying to create safety and inspection tours that can be used in safety training and inspections. The idea being that someone could click on a piece of machinery and the blue print or manual could be opened and viewed, but most of these are in pdf format and can be zoomed in on.
This is the missing piece to my pano business taking off and becoming a standard in the industrial arena.

I hope this file format could soon be added to the object link.
Thanks for your input!!!

I think that would require Flash to be able to 'play' PDF files and it cannot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:38 am 

Thank you for the clarification, I hope one day this feature will be added to the software. Till then I guess I'll convert my pdfs to jpgs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am 

Robert Dampier wrote:
Thank you for the clarification, I hope one day this feature will be added to the software. Till then I guess I'll convert my pdfs to jpgs.

You may wish to explore tools that convert PDF to Flash - but those I looked at require the output to be called from/via an HTML file which isn't what you envisage I think. If that was acceptable one might as well just link to a PDF URL; in fact I don't really understand why that is not an acceptable option.

Would you expect the tour's you create to be put on-line, put on corporate intranets, or just played back as local content from local storage on conventional Flash-enabled platforms (desktops, laptops, or netwbooks) via a browser.

Would you wish to use a specific OS and browser? If so, which?

Would there be any requirement for playback/display on iDevices or Android tablets?

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:35 pm 

To answer your questions..
1. The tours I create will be online but on password protected sites, most if not all the information linked could be problematic to access because of this.
Most of the companies I deal with keep their information very secure, this is why linking the information and embedding it in the tour is desired.
Also some of these tours may not be posted to a website but may live on a local machine and distributed within the company.

2. No specific OS or browser, Kolor seems to be covering all the bases or at least the ones I use.

3. Playback or display on tablets would be the icing on the cake, one of my ideas is that an inspector could be on a location looking over some equipment and could access information on that equipment using the Kolor tour. Being that most equipment has multiple pages of drawings this is where the PDF comes in, one link multiple pages to that link. Most drawings come from scanned blue prints and these are originally large pages, so when using a jpg there is no ability to zoom in on the details that can be drawn very small on a page.

4. This would be good for real-estate tours as well, selling a house with green energy efficient appliances. One could link the pdf manuals to new features like solar panels, energy star appliances, televisions etc....

Hope this helps answer your questions.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am 

There are javascripts now, that support PDF embedding. Is it already possible that PDF's can be embedded in the virtual tour, as .html pages can be embedded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 pm 

Maukoop.nl wrote:
There are javascripts now, that support PDF embedding. Is it already possible that PDF's can be embedded in the virtual tour, as .html pages can be embedded?

use an extra window for displaying the pdf. That works fine in a tour.

see it here - click on the green spot beneath a painting: http://360impressions.de/Grisebach
Works also with pdf.

It also can be a marked area as hotspot.

best, Klaus