Thoughts about enhancing the thumbnails feature...  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it.
no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Thoughts about enhancing the thumbnails feature...

by mediavets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 pm

I was disappointed to find no changes to the thumbnails feature in Panotour 1.5 beta 1, compared to Autopano Tour, despite there having been quite a lot of discussion in the past about its perceived inadequacies.

Now that there are rather more users of APT (and soon Panotour) than there were back then, I would like to encourage a revival of that discussion in the hope that we can work towards defining a better thumbnails feature.

This is what we have now by way of controls:

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:50 pm

I am trying to understand the current rule/metric used by the program when creating thumbnail images.

I have a simple test 'tour' that (deliberately) incorporates spherical panos (equirectangular), partial panos in a spherical projection, single images using a planar projection in both landscape and portrait orientations and with different aspect ratios (4:3, 3:2 and different again).

I can't quite figure out the rule/metric used by the program to determine the dimensions of the thumbnails it creates. The only common dimension seems to be 800 pixels, even in the case where one original image was smaller than 800 pixels on both dimensions.

Is that correct? And if it is, why 800 pixels? That seems to be much larger than one is ever likely to need to display a thumbnail.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

renan
Kolor Team

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by renan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Thumbnails are reusing panorama preview pictures. So the dimension depends of the preview size of each panorama. (the resize is currently systematic and the default value is 800, it's explain why panorama can be upscaled)
Displayed size do not depends of the preview picture size. It's displayed according to the width specified in the thumbnails properties. Each preview will have a "reversed" area where width= 2*height. So the area is perfect for full 360 and other panoramas try to fit on width or height to take maximum space while keeping aspect ratio.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:57 am

Hi... What I have been doing with my thumbs, since they are relative to the pano image, is edit them in Photoshop.. it is a pain but it doesn't take long... You can also fiddle with the xml code too... but I agree, it could be better thought out... with more options and flexibility without having to touch the xml code.. I have been playing with it today actually, scaling the thumb on mouse over.. starting with smaller thumbs with larger on mouse over but they do not group very well... so perhaps I cannot do it...

One thing puzzling me.. When I make a new pano tour, and enable the thumbs, it starts at 4 rows.. why not 1... I had an issue a few days ago where I only had a couple of images in my demo tour but they were really tiny due the the 4 rows settings... As soon as I changed it to 1 it was ok.. I do not think its always been like that but I am not sure... But.. I just noticed in the screen shot above that is set to 4 so perhaps this it how it starts...

D
Last edited by Destiny on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:09 pm

mediavets wrote:I am trying to understand the current rule/metric used by the program when creating thumbnail images.

Yes - that´s a bit clumsy. I use to take "%" as size and portrait OR landscape - never mix them.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:30 am

Hi Andrew.. since you were chatting about Thumb Nav, not sure if you have sighted my Thumb nav on my silly test stuff page or not..... yes, I know it will not work on an iDevice but I am working on that issue.... I am testing to ideas...

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/interactive/3/TESTHOT.html

The ? button on the menu buttons has my thumbs nav at the moment.... The only thumb linked is the first one to Google to test if the urls work... When I create a nice VR Tour I will link it all....

Would be interested to know what you think about it....

Destiny....

mediavets wrote:I was disappointed to find no changes to the thumbnails feature in Panotour 1.5 beta 1, compared to Autopano Tour, despite there having been quite a lot of discussion in the past about its perceived inadequacies.

MikeMcFarlane

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by MikeMcFarlane » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:34 pm

Destiny wrote:http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/interactive/3/TESTHOT.html

The ? button on the menu buttons has my thumbs nav at the moment.... The only thumb linked is the first one to Google to test if the urls work... When I create a nice VR Tour I will link it all....

Hi Destiny

I like that, bloody brilliant in fact. It looks good and is really intuitive, I would never have thought to include thumbs in the help feature. Would you like to share how you created/coded that up?

Mike
Bio: Generation fluxer - farmer, mechatronics engineer, project manager, climbing shop manager, landscape photographer, programmer, virtual panographer, cyclist, life lover.
Twitter: MikeJMcFarlane
email: moo@moosooboo.com
www: www.moosooboo.com

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 am

Well Mike, you are the ONLY one that has said anything nice about my thumb nav, in fact yours is my ONLY feed back.. Personally I thought it looks really cool.. This took a lot of work to work it all out so since you were the first to bother looking at it, or saying anything nice about it.. I will send you my code... But I warn you, its very complicated... You will need Action Script knowledge.... Do you have Flash CS5??? it has to be done in that version...

I have only just received my pano head back so now I can try to create a nice pano tour.. I am working on a 'alt' for my thumb in the html so the top thumbs opens if swf is not located...for iDevices..

My thumbs will load a url, since I put Google on the first thumb only to test it.. It works really well.... and since its mostly code with very small thumb image files, it all loads very quickly too... I have tried to crash it but its rock solid.. it just works which is really great....

My aim is to take on board all my silly testing and try to put it to a practical and useful use.. I just did crazy playful things to test the ideas.... This will be my Showcase in the hope that I can get some work in this area and GIVE UP TEACHING!!.. :mad: But sadly, even though I won DUX during my Multimedia course and was voted to most likely succeed, I have yet to get any work in any area of Multimedia... I just get my brains picked and asked how I did things.... There was time when I managed to get swf to load into Microsoft applications, and even Microsoft tech's said it cannot be done, but I did it using the ActiveX.. It was really funny when I sent an email with a swf imbedded in a Microsoft email application to the same tech'o that said it cannot be done... He asked me a whole heap of questions... but i did not reply... I just sat there grinning at his email comments.... But then the way ActiveX was initiated was changed so that all turned out to be a waist of time.....

Let me know if I should send you the code....

D...;)

MikeMcFarlane wrote:
Destiny wrote:http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/interactive/3/TESTHOT.html

Hi Destiny

I like that, bloody brilliant in fact. It looks good and is really intuitive, I would never have thought to include thumbs in the help feature. Would you like to share how you created/coded that up?

Mike
Last edited by Destiny on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeMcFarlane

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by MikeMcFarlane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Destiny wrote:Well Mike, you are the ONLY one that has said anything nice about my thumb nav, in fact yours is my ONLY feed back.. Personally I thought it looks really cool.. This took a lot of work to work it all out so since you were the first to bother looking at it, or saying anything nice about it.. I will send you my code... But I warn you, its very complicated... You will need Action Script knowledge.... Do you have Flash CS5??? it has to be done in that version...

I have only just received my pano head back so now I can try to create a nice pano tour.. I am working on a 'alt' for my thumb in the html so the top thumbs opens if swf is not located...for iDevices..

My thumbs will load a url, since I put Google on the first thumb only to test it.. It works really well.... and since its mostly code with very small thumb image files, it all loads very quickly too... I have tried to crash it but its rock solid.. it just works which is really great....

My aim is to take on board all my silly testing and try to put it to a practical and useful use.. I just did crazy playful things to test the ideas.... This will be my Showcase in the hope that I can get some work in this area and GIVE UP TEACHING!!.. :mad: But sadly, even though I won DUX during my Multimedia course and was voted to most likely succeed, I have yet to get any work in any area of Multimedia... I just get my brains picked and asked how I did things.... There was time when I managed to get swf to load into Microsoft applications, and even Microsoft tech's said it cannot be done, but I did it using the ActiveX.. It was really funny when I sent an email with a swf imbedded in a Microsoft email application to the same tech'o that said it cannot be done... He asked me a whole heap of questions... but i did not reply... I just sat there grinning at his email comments.... But then the way ActiveX was initiated was changed so that all turned out to be a waist of time.....

Let me know if I should send you the code....

D...;)

Hi Destiny
The internet is like that sometimes, everyone goes along at high speed sharing information, but not always spending time to look. Blessing and curse.
No such thing as silly testing. To play is to learn:-)
Without knowing the details of what you have tried to start a business it is hard to say. But the creative/tech industry is really hard to break into and even harder to keep going in. You would not be alone in struggling, there are many talented designers, programmers, photographers out there who can't make ends meet. It's partly luck, but a lot of that luck you need to make yourself with good business skills. You can be the best programmer in the world, but if you have poor business skills (which applies to many creatives and techs) then there is little chance, but not none, of keeping a business going. Many creatives (I saw a figure the other day of 40%) have part time jobs in other areas to make ends meet, and that included me for many years. I wrote some article about starting a business if you are interested http://www.mikemcfarlane.co.uk/photography-tips-and-articles/list/category/business/ Just my thoughts, not saying they are right or anything!
I'm not totally up on ActionScript (yet), but it would be interesting to see what is required to create something like this. You can either contact me through this site, or better would be my email (on contact page of my site mikemcfarlane.co.uk.)
Kind regards and thanks
Mike
Bio: Generation fluxer - farmer, mechatronics engineer, project manager, climbing shop manager, landscape photographer, programmer, virtual panographer, cyclist, life lover.
Twitter: MikeJMcFarlane
email: moo@moosooboo.com
www: www.moosooboo.com