Sound hotspots for directional sound  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it.
no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Sound hotspots for directional sound

by mediavets » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:12 pm

The krpano soundplayer supports directional sound:
http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=374

I would like to see directional sound implemented in Panotour Pro.

I think this could be implemented in the Panotour Pro GUI quite easily by adding a new type of hotspot - a sound hotspot.

Sound hotspots would be placed just like other types of hotspot using the Hotspot Editor.

Directional range, looping, and other characteristics of the sound would be set via a Hotspot Properties dialogue - just as with other types of hotspot.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by vincen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 pm

good idea for a future feature :)
Blog: http://www.skivr.com
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

no avatar
MART

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by MART » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:33 pm

So would I , built a tour in latest beta and there it is! which puzzled me as there didnt appear to be any mention of it

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:01 pm

MART wrote:So would I , built a tour in latest beta and there it is! which puzzled me as there didnt appear to be any mention of it

What am I missing...I don't see any directional sound controls.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
MART

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by MART » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Put together a quick pano to show as concept of what might be done and noticed that the sound faded when panning round, as it was simply to demonstrate a pano I haven't got back to it but was puzzled that there were to settings for the directional sound.
The horn, accelerator, and radio all have sound.
Here is a link so you can hear for yourself www.martingreig.com/chevy
Must go and figure it out as I would like some control over it as it really does add a 3D effect to the pano.If you get there first let me know.

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 am

MART wrote:Put together a quick pano to show as concept of what might be done and noticed that the sound faded when panning round, as it was simply to demonstrate a pano I haven't got back to it but was puzzled that there were to settings for the directional sound.
The horn, accelerator, and radio all have sound.
Here is a link so you can hear for yourself www.martingreig.com/chevy
Must go and figure it out as I would like some control over it as it really does add a 3D effect to the pano.If you get there first let me know.

OK - thanks for discovering that (nice car pano BTW)

Yes; a little experimenation, and inspection of XML files generated by Panotour Pro, shows that Panotour Pro codes sounds specified as Link/Objects for Point, Polygon and Rectangle hotspots as '3D' sounds.

Here's a snippet of XML generated by Panotour Pro for a hotspot with sound as a Link/Object:
Code: Select all
<hotspot name="spot1" play="action(closeglobalobjects);action(closeallobjects);playsound3D(soundspot1,ptp-panonamedata/sounds/sound0.mp3,367.14,5.64854);set(onclick,stop);" onclick="action(closeglobalobjects);action(closeallobjects);playsound3D(soundspot1,ptp-panonamedata/sounds/sound0.mp3,367.14,5.64854);set(onclick,stop);" stop="stopsound(soundspot1);set(onclick,play);" url="ptp-panonamedata/graphics/spots/spot0.png" ath="367.14" atv="5.64854" />
- <!--  close all hotspots
  -->
  <action name="closeallobjects">set(hotspot[spot1].onclick,hotspot[spot1].play);</action>

The sound interface plug-in for krpano/Panotour Pro offers many different ways to handle sound - see:
http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=374

Here are the options for '3D' sound.
* playsound3D(id, mp3file, ath, atv, range*, volume*, loops*, oncomplete*);
* plays a directional 3D sound
* id = id/name of the sound (use "auto" for a automatic new id for every play)
* mp3file = the filename/path of a sound file
* ath = horizontal sound source position (-180 .. 180°)
* atv = vertical sound source position (-90 .. +90°)
* range = range of sound (in degrees, default=90) (*optional)
* volume = sound volume (0.0 - 1.0, default=1.0) (*optional)
* loops = number of loops, 0=endless, default=1 (*optional)
* oncomplete = action/event that will called on complete (*optional)

You can see that currently Panotour Pro offers no controls at all over 3D sound playback via the GUI, but there are useful options that could and will I hope be offered soon via the GUI.

In the meantime you could of course edit the XML.
I would like to be able to use sound as the Display/Object for a point hotspot. This would enable one to place directional (3D) sounds in a scene and have them play without the user having to click on a hotspot graphic. The sound of the waves breaking on the shore in a beach scene, for example.

In theory this is possible - Panotour Pro allows one to specify a sound as the Display/Object for a poiunt hotspot - but it generates an error on playback when I try it.

This sort of directional sound would I think be better handled by offering a specific audio hotspot type.
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

ygilquin
Kolor Team

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by ygilquin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Warning: using a sound file as display object for a point hotspot was a bug and will not be proposed as a possible choice in next versions of Panotour.
Please don't hesitate to post your ideas about the way you'd like to see Panotour offering controls over 3D sounds in "The future" topic of the forum.
--
Yann G.
www.kolor.com

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 pm

ygilquin wrote:Warning: using a sound file as display object for a point hotspot was a bug and will not be proposed as a possible choice in next versions of Panotour.
Please don't hesitate to post your ideas about the way you'd like to see Panotour offering controls over 3D sounds in "The future" topic of the forum.

This IS the Future topic!!! :rolleyes:
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:37 pm

May I say it sounds rather unrealistic to not hear the radio anymore when turning around my head to the back. Volume should not go to zero, butto 80 %, directional info is more then enough
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.