Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:59 pm 

Hello,

I am attempting to compile a tour with 92 panoramas into one fully embedded SWF file, but when the bar reaches 100% it crashes every time without fail. I was able to successfully compile this tour without embedding the files and the resulting files were 1.8GB in total.

Am I reaching the size limits of what an embedded tour can be or is it crashing because of my limited system resources?

[uli]The computer building the tour has an Intel i5-3320M dual core processor, 4GB RAM, and Ubuntu 13.04 64bit OS. It creates a 0KB SWF file.[/uli]
[uli]An export of the same tour was also attempted on an Intel Quad Core processor, 8GB RAM and Ubuntu 13.04 64bit OS and the resulting file is 252MB. This file opens, but the spots don't render in full quality.[/uli]

Thank you, any help will be appreciated,
Kris

Last edited by kris26 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 pm 

my largest project was close to 200 scenes!

I never embed everything because i always like to play with the master xml. If needs be I then use the "KR protect" tool to embed everything. This is a work around that may help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 pm 

Great information, I will look into KR Protect. Thank you.

As an additional question if you do not mind, what are the specs of the computer you use to compile these tours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:44 pm 

got a mac mini with an intel i7 and 4gb ram.

Havng that many files embedded, will make the project slower to start up, particularly if online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm 

kris26 wrote:
Hello,

I am attempting to compile a tour with 92 panoramas into one fully embedded SWF file ....

Thank you, any help will be appreciated,
Kris

Welcome to the forum...

I would not recommend embedding all for a 92 scene tour.

It will take an age to (down)load before anything is displayed.

Why do you wish to embed everything?

FWIW it will not be possible to embed eveything for tours created with PTP 2.x, but it does offer encryption.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm 

ptp 2.0 does have the krpano protect onboard its called xml encryption.
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:55 pm 

Thank you all for the responses. The reason I wanted to embed the entire project is because the company I work for would like to embed it into an internal social network. We have since ruled this out and have found a better option for hosting the non-embedded tour.

We are investing in a computer for the sole purpose of creating virtual tours, it is a laptop with these specs:
4th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ Processor (2.70GHz, 6M Cache)
16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory

Should this be sufficient for large tours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:02 pm 

kris26 wrote:
Thank you all for the responses. The reason I wanted to embed the entire project is because the company I work for would like to embed it into an internal social network. We have since ruled this out and have found a better option for hosting the non-embedded tour.

We are investing in a computer for the sole purpose of creating virtual tours, it is a laptop with these specs:
4th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ Processor (2.70GHz, 6M Cache)
16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory

Should this be sufficient for large tours?

How large is a 'large tour'?

I would never recommend a laptop as a dedicated PC for stitching panos and creating virtual tours.

They never perform as well as a less expensive desktop and their disk capacities and performance, and graphics capabilities - both important for these appllications - are always more limited that a desktop. You might enjoy more screen 'real estate' than is offered by a laptop too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm 

The reason we would like to go with a laptop is because we will be travelling across the country and may need to do processing while on the road.

Our most recent tour had 92 panoramas and was 1.9GB, non embedded. This was processed on a dual core processor and 4GB of ram. Going forward, it is concievable we could create one with as many as 120 panorama's and dozens of linked pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:41 pm 

kris26 wrote:
The reason we would like to go with a laptop is because we will be travelling across the country and may need to do processing while on the road.

Our most recent tour had 92 panoramas and was 1.9GB, non embedded. This was processed on a dual core processor and 4GB of ram. Going forward, it is concievable we could create one with as many as 120 panorama's and dozens of linked pictures.

is it 32bit OS or 64bit OS.... hope 64bit...
if 32bit only 3 of your 4 GB memory will be detected by windows.
so how big are the source panos in sum you wanna add to one tour. (not the size of created tour, the size of the image you add to the tour)
this in sum should easily fit into your RAM, so in your example not more than 1.5 or 2 GB (50% of physical RAM or even less will be free for usage by other programs like ptp).

So I would strongly urge for 8GB RAM and 64bit OS AND take care you use a 100-250GB SSD (OS may also reside on a SSD, but seperate one)

if you like to use the notebook too for APG for panocreation, I would insist on 64bit OS and 16GB RAM and one disk or SSD for OS, one SSD for Sourceimages and 3rd for destination. temp files on one of the ssds too...
this may also be external drives but minimum on USB3 speed...

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:46 pm 

Great, thank you for your recommendations.

The tours were created using Ubuntu 13.04 64bit stored on a 2TB notebook harddrive (not SSD) connected by eSata, with the option to use USB 3.0 on the new laptop. The harddrive for the new laptop will be a 500GB 5400rpm SATA Solid State Hybrid Drive. I believe this should be a step in the right direction?