Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 pm 

Hey everyone, I'm having a very strange problem. When I export an HTML tour out of PTP, it does not appear on my website.

I'm using OSX 10.6 and [Panotour Pro 180] on a MacBook Pro that used to use a different license of PTP. I have uninstalled PTP along with preference files in User/Library/Preferences and application support files in User/Library/Application Support , and then re-installed PTP and registered it with my new license successfully.

Since this bug started, I have kept my workflow very sterile. All I do is open PTP, drop an image in, and set Tour Build settings (I have tried every possible combination). I am careful to use very simple filenames with no uppercase or unusual characters at all. Not even hyphens or underscores.

Then I take the resulting folder and upload it to my server using FTP. I then reference the HTML file using PanoPress (for Wordpress) and nothing appears.

Here's the weird part. My business partner has done this exact workflow and uploaded a tour to our site using his version of PTP that is working perfectly! This likely rules out any problems with PanoPress, as it is displaying his HTML tour normally.

Here is the working tour page:
http://parallaxpoint.com/retail/metropolis-bikes-2/
Here is my page:
http://parallaxpoint.com/real-estate/home-tour/

Also, when I upload a Flash-only Desktop tour it works fine.

I am very frustrated with this problem, and totally out of ideas. Also I have submitted a support request to Kolor but haven't heard anything yet. (it's the weekend)

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:12 pm 

snafubar wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm having a very strange problem. When I export an HTML tour out of PTP, it does not appear on my website.

I'm using OSX 10.6 and [Panotour Pro 180] on a MacBook Pro that used to use a different license of PTP. I have uninstalled PTP along with preference files in User/Library/Preferences and application support files in User/Library/Application Support , and then re-installed PTP and registered it with my new license successfully.

Since this bug started, I have kept my workflow very sterile. All I do is open PTP, drop an image in, and set Tour Build settings (I have tried every possible combination). I am careful to use very simple filenames with no uppercase or unusual characters at all. Not even hyphens or underscores.

Then I take the resulting folder and upload it to my server using FTP. I then reference the HTML file using PanoPress (for Wordpress) and nothing appears.

Here's the weird part. My business partner has done this exact workflow and uploaded a tour to our site using his version of PTP that is working perfectly! This likely rules out any problems with PanoPress, as it is displaying his HTML tour normally.

Here is the working tour page:
http://parallaxpoint.com/retail/metropolis-bikes-2/
Here is my page:
http://parallaxpoint.com/real-estate/home-tour/

Also, when I upload a Flash-only Desktop tour it works fine.

I am very frustrated with this problem, and totally out of ideas. Also I have submitted a support request to Kolor but haven't heard anything yet. (it's the weekend)

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance.

and why the html and not the swf ?

I do create with ptp1.8 the tour using fullpage.html template.
I upload the tourfolder and all subfolder and files to my website...

in wp I add the panopress with:

Code:
[pano file="mozartplatz-20110416/mozartplatz-20110416.swf" width="640" height="256" preview="mozartplatz/mozartplatz-preview.jpg"]

the wp page: http://www.gigapixel.at/?p=195
the direct link to the fullpage file is also available with: http://www.gigapixel.at/wp-content/uploads/mozartplatz-20110416/mozartplatz-20110416.html

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:00 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
and why the html and not the swf ?

Thanks for your response! I need the HTML versions of my tours to work because many clients of mine are interested in using the tours on iOS devices.

gkaefer wrote:
I do create with ptp1.8 the tour using fullpage.html template.
I upload the tourfolder and all subfolder and files to my website...

in wp I add the panopress with:

Code:
[pano file="mozartplatz-20110416/mozartplatz-20110416.swf" width="640" height="256" preview="mozartplatz/mozartplatz-preview.jpg"]

the wp page: http://www.gigapixel.at/?p=195
the direct link to the fullpage file is also available with: http://www.gigapixel.at/wp-content/uploads/mozartplatz-20110416/mozartplatz-20110416.html

Georg

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm doing except I use an absolute URL/filepath in my Panopress shortcode, and I don't use the preview parameter. This is also what my partner uses, and his tours are working without any problems.

I have cleaned everything out that I know how to find. Is anyone aware of other areas (other than the ones mentioned in my original post) where PTP stores information that could be causing these issues with my HTML exports?

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. I can't figure out why my HTML tours will not appear on my site. :(

Last edited by snafubar on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm 

ok. you posted the link: http://parallaxpoint.com/real-estate/home-tour/
and you wrote you used the html Version of ptp 1.8.
do you refer to a html file...
can you post the link to above tour with the exact link to the xxx.html file as it was created by ptp 1.8?
under Tour build in ptp1.8 which Option did you use/set/activate/deactivate:
Standard Tour
Mobile devices Tour (Ipad/iPhone)
iBook Widget
HTML Template
Embed all data
Embed XML files
use existing XML files (and if yes which Domain did you enter in the list of restricted Domains...)

lg
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:58 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
ok. you posted the link: http://parallaxpoint.com/real-estate/home-tour/
and you wrote you used the html Version of ptp 1.8.
do you refer to a html file...
can you post the link to above tour with the exact link to the xxx.html file as it was created by ptp 1.8?
under Tour build in ptp1.8 which Option did you use/set/activate/deactivate:
Standard Tour
Mobile devices Tour (Ipad/iPhone)
iBook Widget
HTML Template
Embed all data
Embed XML files
use existing XML files (and if yes which Domain did you enter in the list of restricted Domains...)

lg
Georg

Hey Georg, thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Yes Panotour Pro 1.8 is correct.

Here the direct link to the tour that is NOT working: http://www.parallaxpoint.com/tours/hometour/hometour.html
Panopress shortcode: [pano file="http://www.parallaxpoint.com/tours/hometour/hometour.html" width="900" height="600" panobox="off"]

For reference, here is the link to the tour that IS working : http://www.parallaxpoint.com/tours/metropolis_041913/metropolis_041913.html
Panopress shortcode: [pano file="http://www.parallaxpoint.com/tours/metropolis_041913/metropolis_041913.html" width="900" height="600" panobox="off"]

Again, these were created on different computers with different PTP licenses.

- Both were exported out of PTP with Standard Tour AND Mobile devices Tour CHECKED
- Both were exported with iBook Widget UNCHECKED (this is forced when Standard Tour and Mobile devices Tour are both checked)
- HTML Template set to FULLPAGE.HTML
- Embed All Data UNCHECKED (this is forced when Standard Tour and Mobile devices Tour are both checked)
- Embed XML Files UNCHECKED (this is forced when Standard Tour and Mobile devices Tour are both checked)
- NO DOMAINS entered in the Restricted Domains section.

Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 am 

snafubar wrote:
Here the direct link to the tour that is NOT working: http://www.parallaxpoint.com/tours/hometour/hometour.html
Panopress shortcode: [pano file="http://www.parallaxpoint.com/tours/hometour/hometour.html" width="900" height="600" panobox="off"]

The XML file mentioned in the error message does not appear to be present on the server in that location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 am 

mediavets wrote:
snafubar wrote:

The XML file mentioned in the error message does not appear to be present on the server in that location.

I apologize. When I re-uploaded the tour earlier today (to be sure all my reported settings were correct) I accidentally inserted an extra folder in the file hierarchy.

Would you mind taking another look? Now the files should be where they were intended, but the problem still persists.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:32 pm 

snafubar wrote:
mediavets wrote:
snafubar wrote:

I apologize. When I re-uploaded the tour earlier today (to be sure all my reported settings were correct) I accidentally inserted an extra folder in the file hierarchy.

Would you mind taking another look? Now the files should be where they were intended, but the problem still persists.

Thanks

When I try and load the tour via the HTML file I get a title and otherwise the display is white.

WEhen I link to the SWF directly I get an error message - screenshot 1.

When I try to link to the XML file referred to in the error message I get a 404 file not found - screenshot 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:32 pm 

Thanks for your response.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. What you described is the result from a very simple workflow:

- I import 1 image to PTP
- I Export using the settings stated above.

Do you know what could be causing this? I feel like I've tried everything.

Also I submitted a support request to Kolor on 4/25 and still haven't heard back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm 

snafubar wrote:
Thanks for your response.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. What you described is the result from a very simple workflow:

- I import 1 image to PTP
- I Export using the settings stated above.

Do you know what could be causing this? I feel like I've tried everything.

Also I submitted a support request to Kolor on 4/25 and still haven't heard back.

Forgetembedding in Wordpress for now - is that possible?

Let's do a simple test.

Use the Build as..option to build the tour into a new folder, othewise using the same options/settings you chose before.

Now upload the entire build folder to your web server, then post the URL to the HTML file within that folder.

If all the files get uploaded and you maintain the file/folder structure and it still doesn't work then it's probably down to file permisisons on the server.

What FTP client do you use? - as I recall there have previously been reports of problems with file permission using certain Mac FTP clients to some web hosts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Forgetembedding in Wordpress for now - is that possible?

Let's do a simple test.

Use the Build as..option to build the tour into a new folder, othewise using the same options/settings you chose before.

Now upload the entire build folder to your web server, then post the URL to the HTML file within that folder.

If all the files get uploaded and you maintain the file/folder structure and it still doesn't work then it's probably down to file permisisons on the server.

What FTP client do you use? - as I recall there have previously been reports of problems with file permission using certain Mac FTP clients to some web hosts.

No problem, I'll do this and post the corresponding URL.

I've been using CyberDuck for Mac. It never even occurred to me that this could be an FTP client issue...

Thanks, will post the URL when it's up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm 

snafubar wrote:
I've been using CyberDuck for Mac. It never even occurred to me that this could be an FTP client issue...

Try Filezilla, switching from Cyberduck to Filezilla solved another users problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

Thank you so much mediavets, my problem is solved.

I switched back to Fetch from Cyberduck and everything is working normally.

I had assumed that all FTP programs are created equal, that they simply move files from one place to another. Combined with the fact that there were no anomalies in file sizes or and noticeable differences whatsoever between the source/destination files, I made the incorrect assumption that my FTP client was not the problem. Honestly, the idea never even entered my mind.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 pm 

snafubar wrote:
Thank you so much mediavets, my problem is solved. I switched back to Fetch from Cyberduck and everything is working normally.

Great.

Quote:
I had assumed that all FTP programs are created equal, that they simply move files from one place to another. Combined with the fact that there were no anomalies in file sizes or and noticeable differences whatsoever between the source/destination files, I made the incorrect assumption that my FTP client was not the problem. Honestly, the idea never even entered my mind.

It's crazy isn't it...it seems mainly (exclusively?) to be something that afects those using Cyberduck on the Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:32 am 

Thanks for this thread. I'm embarrassed to ask, but I am having trouble seeing my panos also. I am without a doubt missing a crucial step, I just don't know what it is. I have Filezilla as my FTP client, but I don't understand what goes into the code and which file to upload it to in order to be able to view it on my site. I'm hitting a block that seems so easy for most users. Can someone walk me through this process? I have seen the documentation and even some videos on ftp, but i don't know where my files are going once i upload them, and which code to use to paste onto my wordpress site.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:48 am 

You need to have your home page url, do you know it.. It called a few different things.. Its the prefix of your full url.. Then I need your file name, by default its virtualtour.. You simply, create a folder in your main host, 'mypano' then load your tour into it.. So your url will begin to look like this..

/mypano/virtualtour.html

Destiny..

klean slate wrote:
Thanks for this thread. I'm embarrassed to ask, but I am having trouble seeing my panos also. I am without a doubt missing a crucial step, I just don't know what it is. I have Filezilla as my FTP client, but I don't understand what goes into the code and which file to upload it to in order to be able to view it on my site. I'm hitting a block that seems so easy for most users. Can someone walk me through this process? I have seen the documentation and even some videos on ftp, but i don't know where my files are going once i upload them, and which code to use to paste onto my wordpress site.

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:28 am 

klean slate wrote:

To add panos to a WordPress site take a look at PanoPress:

http://www.panopress.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:17 pm 

Destiny wrote:
You need to have your home page url, do you know it.. It called a few different things.. Its the prefix of your full url.. Then I need your file name, by default its virtualtour.. You simply, create a folder in your main host, 'mypano' then load your tour into it.. So your url will begin to look like this..

/mypano/virtualtour.html

Destiny..

klean slate wrote:

thank you for the response. i know my homepage url, yes. where does it belong? my ftp loads great, i'm able to move files over and create new directories no problem. my issue is: when i move files over, where on the site do they go? i cannot see them when i go to my website. when you say 'main host' meaning the new directory that i have created in my website? i use filezilla, everything seems to be working fine. i just cannot see any new content after moving files over.

thank you mediavets, i have seen that link. i use panopress also, but after installing the plugin, i still don't know where the files or content actually go to see them in live site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 am 

Hi..

I have just checked out your file structure.. You do not have a swfoject folder.. but you have uploaded your swfkrpano.js file.. You ether need to create this folder and move your js into it or edit your source code from.. <script src="swfobject/swfkrpano.js"></script> to <script src="swfkrpano.js"></script>

You need to make sure this js is upload.. It might not be...

You also have a missing styles.css in your stylessheets folder..

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 am 

Are you referring to me? HOw did you check out my file structure? How can you see my folders?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:00 am 

opps.. getting confused here.. No, not you.. The first post here.. It has errors.. http://www.kolor.com/forum/profile.php?id=83853

If you.. 'klean slate' ;) needs me to check out your file structure I will need to see your url.. if you want to keep it private from this forum, you can send it to me..

Destiny..