Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: FTP Not Working ....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 am 

The FTP Upload on PanoTour Pro doesn't work (at least for me.)

I think I've isolated what the issue is. The directory on my machine for web stuff is public_html so if I try to upload the files to:
public_html/test_tour

it doens't work.

Why? PanoTour Pro prepends a "/" which makes it:
/public_html/test_tour
which makes it relative to the root of the machine -- not my account.

As it works out, the permissions on my machine (since I don't own it, I just have an account) don't let me have access below my user account. This also means a fully deliniated path such as:
/home3/pollarda/public_html/test_tour/
won't work either.

It would be nice if PanoTour didn't try to be helpful by modifying the path I specify. If it would just leave it alone, it would probably work. As it is, I can't use the file upload feature at all.

-Art

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:52 am 

You definitely want to use PanoTour Pro, to log on to your FTP server? Is not it easier to write in the address bar of your Internet browser yours FTP address and load panorama. Or use for these purposes Total Commander.

Last edited by akphoto on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 pm 

if I Login my Webspace with ptp ftp tool...

I get into the main Directory /
which in fact is only for my Login the root Directory. On the Server the Directory structure is invisuble for me, I'm not the sysadmin of this Server. ist also a shared Server.

so if I use for "Folder" /test123

than the ptp ftp tool logs into my ftp Server to the root Directory of my Webspace (not of the Server) it is / than it Looks if "test123" is existing, if first time it will be created in further updates it does Change into that Directory and Uploads all tour files.

so but the root Directory of my Webspace (coming from browser side) is not the / Directory of my ftp space... ist /web

so www.gigapixel.at is in fact ....serverdirs-invisible-for-me.../web/

so if I wanna make the tour visible as http://www.gigapixel.at/test123/ than I have to use /web/test123 in the "Folder" Settings in apg.

so my ftp Client (external Client logs into / and does see /web subdir
my Webbrowser using http://www.gigapixel.at goes finally to /web dir and does see this as root dir...
in ptp ftp tool I've to use under "Folder" /web/test123/
so that the tour finnally appaears as http://www.gigapixel.at/test123/virtualtour.html

so back to you:

if with external ftp Client the Login goes to your / and you see a public_html/ dir than you should use:
try using
/public_html/test_tour
if an ftp Login with an external ftp Programm automatically brings you under public_html/ dir you should use:
/test_tour
if this gives Access Errors, you can manipulate the accessrights of Folders and files in your ftp space with external ftp programs. (I use the CoreFTP LE program, here I've right mouse click to the Directory and open Properties: the user should have read, write and execute (use=you who is uploading via ftp), the Group should have read and execute (so the webserver user can Access Directory and the world read and execute to Display the Content in this cirectory in the Webbrowser... all together its ftp shortcutrights 755)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 pm 

akphoto wrote:
You definitely want to use PanoTour Pro, to log on to your FTP server? Is not it easier to write in the address bar of your Internet browser yours FTP address and load panorama. Or use for these purposes Total Commander.

the Advantage of using ptps internal Routine is you can save templates too like in external programs and you also can upload only changed files. So if its working there is no real Need to Change to external app and to "complicate" the workflow...

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:20 pm 

Georg:

Well that is the problem. When it changes public_html/test_tour to /public_html/test_tour, that makes the directory relative to the root directory of the entire machine -- not the root directory of my account. Since there is no directory there I have permissions for, it simply sits there and spins and says it is transferring data. (Which of course is a bit of a problem, it should in addition to the status bar which simply spins print a number of bytes or files transferred so people don't sit there and wait for hours thinking it might be doing something. After 4 hours, I came back and it said it was still transferring data which wasn't true and was easily verified by looking at the server and finding no files at all.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:47 pm 

pollarda wrote:
Georg:

Well that is the problem. When it changes public_html/test_tour to /public_html/test_tour, that makes the directory relative to the root directory of the entire machine -- not the root directory of my account.

That seems to be an unusual setup for a web hosting service.

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:41 am 

Quote:
That seems to be an unusual setup for a web hosting service.

Yes, perhaps. But the "/" at the beginning of a path being relative to the root of a machine is standard Unix / Linux behavior -- as it is in Windows and on the Mac (which is based on top of Unix -- though I forget which flavor).

It is even more unusual for a program to modify the path name beyond what the user entered. If you leave the path empty, it still prepends a "/" by itself making the path from "" (i.e., empty) to "/" (drop all the data in the machine's root directory.)

There is some funky behavior on the part of the web hosting service too since I should be able to enter a fully spelled out path (in this case: "/home3/artpolla/public_html/test_tour/" and this doesn't work either. (Presumably because of some sort of permissions problem given that I don't have any access to /home3/....

Either way, PanoTour shouldn't be making changes to the path I specify. If I want it dropped somewhere other than where I specify, I'll specify it. ; -)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 am 

outsch...
it may be standard for Linux if you are the only webspace owner of this server. This can be if you use a dedicated server, this may also be a vsphere or other virtual server.
But if you're really on a shared space server with several other customers homedirs on it - than this is a more as serious security concern. This would implify that you can Change not only in the Servers root Directory, but also back down to others homedirectories... you could for example use ../../ to go up 2 Directory Levels from your ftp root Directory... you can imagine what this would express... you could Access others Content and also the Servers files and others could do the same...

... I would strongly suggest to contact your ISP maintaining this server. normally its a 1-2 lines snippest to add in the virtual.conf files for your Webspace (if ist an Apache webserver) that could Change this ...

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm 

Yes, I'm going to try to see what I can do to keep working with the ISP to get this sorted out. Even so, the ISP (http://www.bluehost.com) is an enormous ISP here the US (at least compared to most) so it isn't like they are newbies to the web hosting scene. (In fact, the whole core of virtual server technology was originally developed several miles from here and the guys that I attended my Computer Science classes with wrote the bulk of it.) BlueHost.com is a direct inheritor of much of this and the people who helped write it. The point is that if it is a problem here, it is a bigger problem than it appears. The only reason it hasn't shown up more is that PanoTour isn't exactly the most popular software on the 'net and so hasn't been used on as many servers as it might. This is an issue that will crop up again and again. It simply doesn't make sense for the software to modify the path that a user submits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 am 

Why don't you just bypass the ptp ftp and download a free ftp app or buy one.. I use Leap for Windows and Transmit for Mac, both are very nice and cheap and work very well.. I am sure you can find an ftp app for Linux.. http://www.techradar.com/au/news/software/applications/8-of-the-best-linux-ftp-clients-902168

Destiny.

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 am 

Yes, that is what I did -- I downloaded a free graphical FTP client. (Personally, I prefer the commandline FTP but, it doesn't do directories and subdirectories without a huge amount of effort.) Yea, I'm a commandline guy who can type way faster than dragging a mouse around.

Even so, it would be nice if this was able to get fixed.

-Art