Tooltips being cut short  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
Pheliciano

Tooltips being cut short

by Pheliciano » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 am

I've noticed that some of my text tooltips get cut short and the last letter is either trimmed or missed off completely (particularly if the last letter is an "l")

I've attached a couple of images of what happens and wanted to find out if this was a bug anyone else was experiencing and, if so, if there was a fix. As you can see, the tooltip that ends with a "d" is fine, whereas the tooltips ending with an "l" are cut short.

I have tried adding spaces at the end of the tooltip text in PTP, but theese get removed. The only way to keep them in seems to be to add an " " to the end of the tooltip text in the XML file. The problem with this approach is that it then looks odd unless you add another space at the start of the text to center it. At this point it looks different to the other tooltips, so in order for the tooltips to all look consistent, it would require me to add an " " to the beginning and end of every tooltip. I'd then have to repeat that every time PTP re-builds the tour.

I had a look through the KRPano documentation to see if there were any textstyle attributes that might help, but I couldn't see any. There doesn't seem to be a "padding" setting for example.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

the showtext statement in krpano does have the ability to insert linebreaks:
http://www.krpano.com/docu/actions/#showtext

Code: Select all
onhover="showtext(line 1[br]line 2[br]line 3);"

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Pheliciano wrote:I've noticed that some of my text tooltips get cut short and the last letter is either trimmed or missed off completely (particularly if the last letter is an "l")

I've attached a couple of images of what happens and wanted to find out if this was a bug anyone else was experiencing and, if so, if there was a fix. As you can see, the tooltip that ends with a "d" is fine, whereas the tooltips ending with an "l" are cut short.

I couldn't reproduce this issue.

I am using PTP V1.8 on Windows XP/32 and viewing with latest Firefox:

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:35 pm

Pheliciano wrote:I've noticed that some of my text tooltips get cut short and the last letter is either trimmed or missed off completely (particularly if the last letter is an "l")

I have tried adding spaces at the end of the tooltip text in PTP, but theese get removed. The only way to keep them in seems to be to add an " " to the end of the tooltip text in the XML file. The problem with this approach is that it then looks odd unless you add another space at the start of the text to center it. At this point it looks different to the other tooltips, so in order for the tooltips to all look consistent, it would require me to add an " " to the beginning and end of every tooltip. I'd then have to repeat that every time PTP re-builds the tour.

I had a look through the KRPano documentation to see if there were any textstyle attributes that might help, but I couldn't see any. There doesn't seem to be a "padding" setting for example.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I assist! Even with short words [h]sometimes[/h] the last letter is cut in half. MacOSX 10.6.8 and PTP1.8

Try to type in a space after the last letter!

What´s funny: it´s not alway reproducable . . .

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

gkaefer wrote:the showtext statement in krpano does have the ability to insert linebreaks:
http://www.krpano.com/docu/actions/#showtext

onhover="showtext(line 1[br]line 2[br]line 3);"

Georg

Did you try entering the line break [br] in the tooltip text via PTP/PTP GUI?

It doesn't work because the code generated ends up as [[br]]

I thought I'd done this in the past but it doesn't sem to work now.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm

;) seems to be like hunting ghosts...

I did use the exact same text using Object info and Object info (sequence).
I cant reproduce this with Win7 64 bit and using IE10 Preview and Firefox 18.0.1, Safari and Opera.

Also, If I rename my testpano to "Middle School Rooftop - Walk across this to connect to High School"
and use than %p under Tooltip I get an correct (uncut) tooltip.

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:08 pm

@Andrew:

no. doing this directly in ptp1.8 will result in what you described.
create the tour in ptp1.8 without any modification.
in resulting xml file go to according line of the hotspot and add the [br] code (in my case instead of the "-" character:

<hotspot name="spot1" onclick="lookto(0,0,90);" url="virtualtourdata/graphics/spots/spot0.png" crop="0|0|65|65" frame="0" lastframe="9" frameheight="65" framewidth="65" onloaded="set(stopSequence,false);animate(spot1,0.1);" onhover="showtext(Middle School Rooftop [br] Walk across this to connect to High School);" ath="34.2627" atv="0" width="28" height="prop"/>

result on screen:

Georg

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:22 pm

gkaefer wrote:@Andrew:

no. doing this directly in ptp1.8 will result in what you described.

Yes, but I think it may be a bug, and that Kolor intends it to be possible to enter formatting codes via the GUI, because when you enter [br] PTP seems to 'acknowledge' that this is a formatting/special code and adds a second bracket resulting in [[br]] in the tour code, but when the tour is viewed the second bracket is removed when the tooltip is displayed.

See my previous screenshots: http://www.kolor.com/forum/p111285-today-11-52-29#p111285
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
Pheliciano

by Pheliciano » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:04 am

@Georg & Andrew

Interesting issue that been raised about the [br] issue, but in my case I'm not trying to add a line break to the text. This clipping seems to affect tooltips regardless of length. The tooltip background should expand to the length of the tooltip anyway right?

On the [br] topic though, I have found that adding <br> to the tooltip text in the PTP GUI results in a correct line break oin the built tour. i don't know if that helps.

@Klaus

It sound like you're seeing exactly what I'm seeing. It's not a consistent occurrence and doesn't seem to be realted to tooltip length or specific text. I'm using PTP 1.8 64bit on Mac OSX 10.7.5. Since Andrew can't reproduce the issue using the same text, maybe this is a Mac only bug?

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:56 am

Pheliciano wrote:On the [br] topic though, I have found that adding <br> to the tooltip text in the PTP GUI results in a correct line break oin the built tour. i don't know if that helps.

Thanks - I knew it was possible and that I had done it in the past. I'd forgotten how and it doesn't apoper in the onlien documentation.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 am

Pheliciano wrote:@Georg & Andrew

Interesting issue that been raised about the [br] issue, but in my case I'm not trying to add a line break to the text. This clipping seems to affect tooltips regardless of length. The tooltip background should expand to the length of the tooltip anyway right?

Yes, it should.

As a workaround perraphs add ... before and after the tooltip text that way it will stilll look OK-ish even if clipped.

It sound like you're seeing exactly what I'm seeing. It's not a consistent occurrence and doesn't seem to be realted to tooltip length or specific text. I'm using PTP 1.8 64bit on Mac OSX 10.7.5. Since Andrew can't reproduce the issue using the same text, maybe this is a Mac only bug?

Perhaps it is, but hard to see why that should be.
Andrew Stephens

Return to Panotour bugs & discussion 1.8