Cube face importer quirk  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
no avatar
aromer

Cube face importer quirk

by aromer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 am

So just a quick question....

I have for a long time been importing panos into panotour pro and exporting cube faces to remove the tripod. I have notice however, that when I re import I get this interesting issue (seen below) it happens on ALL of the image sets I import. I dont know if its a problem with Panotour or my files. The files generally are between 300-500mb each so maybe its a size issue? IDK

Either way it never affects the final output or panotour image in any way, just a curious questions.

Thanks!
Andy

bdd
Kolor Team

by bdd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 am

Hello,

Is it possible for you to send us, or to put on our FTP site, the cubes faces of one of your panorama ?
Here are the steps to follow to upload them on our ftp site :
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t766-ftp-server?id=766

You can also send them to contact@kolor.com

Gérald

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:25 pm

aromer wrote:So just a quick question....

I have for a long time been importing panos into panotour pro and exporting cube faces to remove the tripod. I have notice however, that when I re import I get this interesting issue (seen below) it happens on ALL of the image sets I import. I dont know if its a problem with Panotour or my files. The files generally are between 300-500mb each so maybe its a size issue? IDK

Either way it never affects the final output or panotour image in any way, just a curious questions.

Thanks!
Andy

Hi Andy!

I tried that also some time ago. I recognized that re-importing the cubefaces to PTP isn´t possible. The reason seemed to be that it don´t use the same order of faces
like KRPano does.
When i tried to import the faces from PTP into KRpano that failed also.

The solution: use the Droplet "Convert Sphere to Cube" for making cubefaces, edit them and use the "ConvertCube to Sphere" droplet to makek it an equirectangular image again.

best, Klaus

P.S.: i don´t know whether PTP´s ex-/import order of the faces got changed in the meantime.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Andy.. Very strange.... When you have fixed up your nadir patch, what file format are you saving the cube faces in... ??

Destiny....

PS.. What file format do you export cubes in...??
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:58 pm

bdd wrote:Hello,

Is it possible for you to send us, or to put on our FTP site, the cubes faces of one of your panorama ?

Gérald

Hi Gérald!

So it IS possible to re-import the faces into PTP?

Really didn´t know that - giid to hear! :cool:

best, Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

....I have been doing it for 2 years... With no issues at all....

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:
bdd wrote:Hello,

Gérald

Hi Gérald!

So it IS possible to re-import the faces into PTP?

Really didn´t know that - giid to hear! :cool:

best, Klaus
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Just had a thought Andy.. I had an issue that seem to change the preview but not related to ptp, which I cannot remember if it was the graphics card or the Hz of my Monitor.. You might want to check that..

Destiny...

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Destiny wrote:.... been doing it for 2 years... With no issues at all....

Well . . for two years . . :cool:

When i tried in the beginning to do it it failed - now i have the workflow using the droplets. They´re fine adjustable.
I don´t see any reason to change it.

Besides: does exporting and re-importing faces work in PTP with big images? .psb, 4 Gigabyte, 86000px width as example?

Klaus

no avatar
aromer

by aromer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm importing full panos ~4gb as PSB and exporting as PSD. I never thought about a graphics card issue.

I'll try and put up smaller versions on the ftp and others can try. I havent noticed any difference in quality or stitching issues so its not a big issue, just an interesting one.

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I will try that for a test when you have uploaded it.. I just done some testing using different formats but there were too many options.. It might also be a file size issue, where the file size is so big when using the PSB, that is does strange things with a preview... I do not normally deal with such big files due to my Mac screaming out for more RAM... :(

The Hz, or refresh rate of a monitor can also effect low rez preview images.... Not so much of an issue with the new monitors but if you have an older monitor you might want to check that.. It its set too high it can effect previews... I really do not think its a ptp issue but rather a hardware one..

I like a mystery to solve.. ;)

Destiny

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm

aromer wrote:I'm importing full panos ~4gb as PSB and exporting as PSD. I never thought about a graphics card issue.

At least on Macs i didn´t ever realized a graphic-card issue related to PTP. I use several Macs and two graphic cards are from 2007 - no problem
in PTP.

The only issue i ever had in PTP was the order of the faces for the re-import.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
gddxb

by gddxb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:01 am

I've had no problems exporting and re-importing cube faces using PTP for a 2.5 gigapixel pano.

Faces are around 1.5GB each.

I wonder if there's a problem with a particular file size scenario, where the cube faces are small enough for TIFF, but the resulting equirectangular is too big for TIFF?

/edit
Re-reading the original post, I'd bet this could well be it. Cube faces will be OK as TIFFs, but the equirectangular might not be? I wonder if PTP is smart enough to catch this scenario? If you are using TIFFs for the faces, perhaps try saving them as .psb (Photoshop large) to test this theory?

//edit
OK, sorry - read some more and you're exporting the cube faces using PSD. Try using PSB for everything. I think you can force this in Photoshop, yes? PSD has the same 4GB file size limit as TIFF, so unless PTP is smart enough to spot this scenario (you say your original pano is a .psb), then yes - I'm certain that this will be the problem. Resulting equirectangular is too large for the input file format of the cube faces.
Last edited by gddxb on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Panotour bugs & discussion 1.8