[Panotour Pro 1.5 beta 1] - Handling of Input Field of View  

This forum is fully dedicated to Panotour / Panotour Pro bug reports as well as feature discussion.
User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg

[Panotour Pro 1.5 beta 1] - Handling of Input Field of View

by gkaefer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:59 am

bug or just bad handling of UserInteface...

imporing a non 360x180 spherical pano to ptp 1.5b1 leads to following anormal complicated working process:

1. adding the non 360x180 pano
2. default spherical is used and in consequence ! giving hint that this does not fit together
3. changing to planar project does not solve this
3. so using spherical projection you have to change fov value + or - one degree - up to you which one you choose
4. after this the ! on fov properites disappears. the ! on left added pano is still there.
5. to get original values you now change the altered fov value back to original value. The ! on the added pano now alos disappears
6. now finally you can change to planar projection ...

cant this be solved in less steps?


Liebe Gruesse,
Georg











no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14264
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:36 pm

gkaefer wrote:bug or just bad handling of UserInteface...

imporing a non 360x180 spherical pano to ptp 1.5b1 leads to following anormal complicated working process:

1. adding the non 360x180 pano
2. default spherical is used and in consequence ! giving hint that this does not fit together
3. changing to planar project does not solve this
3. so using spherical projection you have to change fov value + or - one degree - up to you which one you choose
4. after this the ! on fov properites disappears. the ! on left added pano is still there.
5. to get original values you now change the altered fov value back to original value. The ! on the added pano now alos disappears
6. now finally you can change to planar projection ...

cant this be solved in less steps?


Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

You've lost me somewhere in this list of steps.

As I understand it:

1. If the partial (less than 360x180) pano to be added to APT/PTP was created using APP/APG, and has not been further processed before being used in APT/PTP, then the custom Kolor User Comment tag data in the EXIF (for formats supporting EXIF) will be used to set the Panorama properties/data field of view values automatically.

2. Adrien described what happens if the custom Kolor User Comment tag does not exist (for whatver reason) as follows: the yellow triangle alert is shown on the added pano image; the Panorama properties/Data field of view vertical value is set to 180 and the Horizontal value is calculated based on the aspect ratio of the pano image. So that if the pano image is equirectangular the horizontal value will be set to 360.

Does this match your experience?
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg

by gkaefer » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:25 pm

mediavets wrote:
gkaefer wrote:bug or just bad handling of UserInteface...

imporing a non 360x180 spherical pano to ptp 1.5b1 leads to following anormal complicated working process:

1. adding the non 360x180 pano
2. default spherical is used and in consequence ! giving hint that this does not fit together
3. changing to planar project does not solve this
3. so using spherical projection you have to change fov value + or - one degree - up to you which one you choose
4. after this the ! on fov properites disappears. the ! on left added pano is still there.
5. to get original values you now change the altered fov value back to original value. The ! on the added pano now alos disappears
6. now finally you can change to planar projection ...

cant this be solved in less steps?


Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

You've lost me somewhere in this list of steps.

As I understand it:

1. If the partial (less than 360x180) pano to be added to APT/PTP was created using APP/APG, and has not been further processed before being used in APT/PTP, then the custom Kolor User Comment tag data in the EXIF (for formats supporting EXIF) will be used to set the Panorama properties/data field of view values automatically.

2. Adrien described what happens if the custom Kolor User Comment tag does not exist (for whatver reason) as follows: the yellow triangle alert is shown on the added pano image; the Panorama properties/Data field of view vertical value is set to 180 and the Horizontal value is calculated based on the aspect ratio of the pano image. So that if the pano image is equirectangular the horizontal value will be set to 360.

Does this match your experience?

no.
its clear that if I load panos less than 360x180 to APT or now to PTP that this is shown on two places marked as "!" (on the loaded pano on bottom right corner) and on panorama properties at the input field of view. because default projection of APT and PTP is spherical and I loaded an planar image not covering 360x180.

the point is how to solve this at this point.
it should be solved by changing from spherical to planar projection.
but this does not solve it the "!" are still showing it...
to get rid of this you have to change manually the field or view value lets say 1 degree. But this still does not solve it the "!" is still there. Only if you than change the field of view value back to original value after loading the pano, than the "!" dissapeared.

solution: the "!" should dissapear if user is changing from default spherical to planar projection.

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14264
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:49 pm

gkaefer wrote:no. its clear that if I load panos less than 360x180 to APT or now to PTP that this is shown on two places marked as "!" (on the loaded pano on bottom right corner) and on panorama properties at the input field of view. because default projection of APT and PTP is spherical and I loaded an planar image not covering 360x180.

It is not quite like that in my experience - the reason you get the '!' symbols is because APT/PTP did not find the Kolor User Comment tag in the EXIF - perhaps your input image format does not support EXIF or you have processed the image after rendering in APP/APG and before adding it to APT/PTP losing the Kolor User Comment tag in the process?

I have just created a planar projection partial pano in JPEG format and adding it to APT results in the Panorama properties/Data field of view values being read correctly from the EXIF.

Likewise with a spherical projection partial pano.

What APT does not appear to do is read the projection type from the Kolor User Comment tag so you need to set that manually if you want planar output from planar input. I think that is a bug that could and should be fixed.

Screenshot shows the content of a Kolor User Comment tag associated with a partial pano image in planar projection:


Last edited by mediavets on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg

by gkaefer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:06 am

It is not quite like that in my experience - the reason you get the '!' symbols is because APT/PTP did not find the Kolor User Comment tag in the EXIF - perhaps your input image format does not support EXIF or you have processed the image after rendering in APP/APG and before adding it to APT/PTP losing the Kolor User Comment tag in the process?

i used APG 2.5 Beta 1 to produce one .kro file and opened this .kro file in PTP 1.5 beta1
if I remember correct the .kro filemormat does not save any exif data...

if you're correct, why than can the "!" dissappear with the procedure I described?
"!" says that APG cant interprete the fov values correct and these values must be estimated and vertially set to 180 or horizontal set to 360 the other value has to be estimated. But fact is the values shown after import are correct, the same values as show before export from APG. and it you change fro spherical projection to planar projection than the horizontal and vertical values are greyed out and cant be edited but the "!" is still there. That makes no sense.

Georg

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 14264
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.

by mediavets » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:44 pm

I've done a simple experiment to compare what happens with .kro and .jpg partial pano files in both planar and spherical projections.

These four files wrre all produced from one stitched set of images using APG 2.09 on Windows XP/32. They have then been used, with no post-processing, as input in APT V1.1 beta 11.

I've used APT 1.1 beta 11 rather than PTP 1.5 beta 1 because I get a lot of crashes using .kro files in PTP V1.5 beta 1, but as far as I can see the behaviour regarding setting (or not) Panorama properties/data field of view values is the same in both APT V1.1 beta 11 and PTP V1.5 beta 1.

The screenshots below are pretty much self explanatory. In each case compare the highlighted pano with the values set for Panorama properties/Data field of view in each case.

Here are my observations:

1. The Pano FOV data values are read and set correctly when using the .jpg files, using the values in the Kolor User Comment Exif tag.

2. As expected APT finds no EXIF with the .kro files - so instead sets the horizontal FOV to 360 and scales the vertical FOV according to the aspect ratio of the image.

3. APT fails to set the output projection to match the input projection in the case of input images with a planar projection, despite the fact that this projection data is available in the custom Kolor User Comment tag in the EXIG for the .jpg image with a planar projection. I consider this to be a bug.








Last edited by mediavets on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.


Return to Panotour bugs & discussion 1.8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest