BEST PANORAMA RESOLUTION?   [SOLVED] - View the solution

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
doox

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

BEST PANORAMA RESOLUTION?

by doox » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi guys,
what is the best panorama resolution you recommand for the .tif files before loading them into PTP so that when played online there will be fast loading and reaction time.

Thank you

TG

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: BEST PANORAMA RESOLUTION?

by mediavets » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:34 pm

With multi-res. tiling there's relatively little impact on viewing performance regardless of input image resolution.

Choose a size that permits the degree of zoom-in that you wish to offer the viewer.

Reducing the JPEG quality setting value (in PTP) a bit will reduce server loads with little impact on perceived image quality.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:35 pm

doox wrote:Hi guys,
what is the best panorama resolution you recommand for the .tif files before loading them into PTP so that when played online there will be fast loading and reaction time.

Depends on how deep ypu want to zoom into the pano. I usually use between 21000, 76000 and 139000px width for spheres.
I use jpg7 in PTP for getting a very good presentation, but without getting too big files.

Nevertheless i usually have around 700MB - 1,4GB for a tour with 10 scenes.

Klaus

Destiny

Liked in: 214 posts
Info

Re: BEST PANORAMA RESOLUTION?  [SOLVED]

by Destiny » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi... Answer to that would be a 16bit tiff... Which will retain all pixel data quality until converted to a lossy format being the jpg.. It will then be up to you to determine the best jpg quality against file size.. I would recommend between 7 > 10.. I mostly use 8. I would also recommend that after you have rendered your pano, to use Photoshop or Lightroom to sharpen ONCE. If you over sharpen, which many do, it tends to give a terrible sparkly effect as the pano is rotated..

If however you have capture and processed as HDR, I would keep to 32bit tiffs to continue with all editing until the exporting from PTP as JPGs..

Destiny..

doox wrote:Hi guys,

Thank you

TG

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 pm

Destiny wrote:Hi... Answer to that would be a 16bit tiff...

The bit-depth has nothing to do with the resolution.

Destiny wrote:Which will retain all pixel data quality

Yes - in terms of color. Not in terms of resolution.

Destiny wrote:until converted to a lossy format being the jpg..

Bsaically that´s true of course. But you definitely cannot use TIFF for making tiles. That´s why i always suggest to edit in TIFF16bit, export the TIFFs to PTP and there set jpg from 7 op 9, depending on the motif. I experiences that jpg7 is an optimum of quaity and data-size. Very rarely 8 or 9 is needed.

It will then be up to you to determine the best jpg quality against file size.. I would recommend between 7 > 10.. I mostly use 8. I would also recommend that after you have rendered your pano, to use Photoshop or Lightroom to sharpen ONCE. If you over sharpen, which many do, it tends to give a terrible sparkly effect as the pano is rotated..

[/quote]

doox

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by doox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:57 am

I usually use between 21000, 76000 and 139000px width for spheres.
I use jpg7 in PTP for getting a very good presentation, but without getting too big files.

Hi Klaus,

it is very hard for me to belive that you use such big files and then your Panorama, for example the one in Dusseldorf is moving so easely... Before i load my panos into PTP I use a standard 9200 x 4600 resolution for my TIFF files and one file is about 350 MB big =| soooo....how come that my tours load very bad and they are very slow when rotating

Thank you

TG

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 am

doox wrote:
I usually use between 21000, 76000 and 139000px width for spheres.

Hi Klaus,

it is very hard for me to belive that you use such big files and then your Panorama, for example the one in Dusseldorf is moving so easely... Before i load my panos into PTP I use a standard 9200 x 4600 resolution for my TIFF files and one file is about 350 MB big =| soooo....how come that my tours load very bad and they are very slow when rotating

Thank you

TG

Hi TG! (is that your name? ;) )

I guess you mean the rendering you get from APG is 9200x4600px in size? That´s not big. What´s your render-settings?
I suggest to render as TIFF 8 or 16bit. If you´re going to massively edit the rendering in Photoshop use 16bit as render, setting - otherwise TIFF/8bit will do fine.

Importing the files into PTP needs a setting for the tiles as JGP. Here i use 7.

A size of about 350MB isn´t big at all for the rendered output from APG.

For presenting the pano the rendered file gets tiled into thousands of very small pieces: the "tiles".

You need to activate "multiresolution" for that.

Being "tiled" as multires the transport via the web is very fast - because of "multires" only the amount of tiles get transmitted which is needed to be shown on the screen: zoomed out shows the lo resolution, zooming in loads the higher resolution piece by piece.

The rendered panos i get from APG usually are of 700MB or several GB - depending on the size. Usually i need to save them as .psb because of the pixel- and datasize.

Klaus