Splash Screen Scaling - Is this possible?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
andy4nothin

Splash Screen Scaling - Is this possible?

by andy4nothin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am

I'm evaluating PTP with a view to investing in a copy. I've searched the forums for an answer to this question without success, but I have seen VT's with what appear to be scaling splash screens.

I've tested with a png file which won't scale, so what file format/type should I be using to maintain the same proportions when enlarged to full screen?

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:59 am

Welcome to the forum...

andy4nothin wrote:I'm evaluating PTP with a view to investing in a copy.

I guess you are aware that if you acquire a PTP 1.8 license now you will also get a license for PTP 2.x. PTP 2.x is currently at alpha 18 status, not far from a beta release.

It will offer a lot more features and more extensive support for mobile platforms.

I've searched the forums for an answer to this question without success, but I have seen VT's with what appear to be scaling splash screens.

Can we see one?

I've tested with a png file which won't scale, so what file format/type should I be using to maintain the same proportions when enlarged to full screen?

Are the proportions changing?

Can we see 'before' and 'after' screenshots?

I don't see any way - via the GUI - to set the size at which the splash screen image is displayed, neither in absolute pixel values nor as % or display size.

It appears that the splash screen image is always displayed at its native resolution?
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
andy4nothin

by andy4nothin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the prompt response Andrew.

The VT I found was one of Richard Hart's. Top one on this page: http://www.richhartphoto.com/orange-county-360-vr-virtual-tours/

Scales vey nicely, but is this likely to have been done with a plugin and xml scripting?

For my own test I created a png with a transparent background at my max screen resolution of 1920x1200 in the hope that it would scale, but it remains at its max size, disappearing off the edge of the screen until fullscreen is activated.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm

andy4nothin wrote:Thanks for the prompt response Andrew.

The VT I found was one of Richard Hart's. Top one on this page: http://www.richhartphoto.com/orange-county-360-vr-virtual-tours/

Scales vey nicely, but is this likely to have been done with a plugin and xml scripting?

For my own test I created a png with a transparent background at my max screen resolution of 1920x1200 in the hope that it would scale, but it remains at its max size, disappearing off the edge of the screen until fullscreen is activated.

You can resize the splashscreen and you can use an own splashscreen. You just need to type in the new size in the xml.

I did it here:
http://360impressions.de/KBogen413/

and here:
http://360impressions.de/Wandelhalle (made it transparent and changed the position)

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:24 pm

andy4nothin wrote:Thanks for the prompt response Andrew.

I think perhaps works as it does because it's in an iFrame in a Wordpress site?

Yes, that what I found - splash screen images are displayed at their native resolution, regardless of how you resize the browser window.

I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have complained about this before.

May be very few people use splash screens, or they are happy with a small fixed size splash screen image?

And it seems that PTP 2.x offers no greater degrre of control over the display of the splash screen image - see screenshot.

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

mediavets wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have complained about this before.

(sorry - i only now see what was the point).

Regarding it´s an image=pixels it seems natural that it´s not scalable.

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:44 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one seems to have complained about this before.

(sorry - i only now see what was the point).

Regarding it´s an image=pixels it seems natural that it´s not scalable.

Klaus

But PTP 1.8 allows the user to set absolute or relative (&) display sizes for custom hotspot graphics, for example - screenshot 1.

And PTP 2 alpha 18 offers additional controls - screenshot 2.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
andy4nothin

by andy4nothin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

It does seem a bit of an oversight.

Using the demo package I have the title splash screen fade out as the tiny planet unfolds. It would be nice to frame the tiny planet with the intro title design.

Back to the drawing board on that one! Is it possible (for a demo user) to put this in as a feature request? Perhaps they could include it while it's still in alpha.

@Klaus - impressive panos. Are you saying that you can modify the XML to change the scale of the image when the fullscreen button is clicked? This would provide a satisfactory workaround.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:38 pm

andy4nothin wrote:Is it possible (for a demo user) to put this in as a feature request? Perhaps they could include it while it's still in alpha.

I have made a feature request for the addition of controls over display of a splash image in PTP 2.x.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:51 pm

andy4nothin wrote:@Klaus - impressive panos. Are you saying that you can modify the XML to change the scale of the image when the fullscreen button is clicked? This would provide a satisfactory workaround.

Thank you :-)

What i say is: you need to type in the size of your splashscreen into the xml when you generate a new one or resize the existent one.

Since it´s a pixel-format it cannot be scaled dynamically with PTP afaik.

Klaus

no avatar
andy4nothin

by andy4nothin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:06 pm

@Andrew - Thanks. It will be interesting to see if this can be included at this stage. As Klaus points out, it will probably need support of vector formats rather than just the existing raster.

I think the way we initially present a VT or panorama is important, because I'm sure that many people think they are just a static image, animation or video, and have no idea that they can interact with it.

Support for a flash splashscreen would enable us to create more enticing intros. I've seen discussions in these threads about the use of a video preceeding the VT. Is this a flash movie loading the VT into the stage?

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:37 pm

andy4nothin wrote:@Andrew - Thanks. It will be interesting to see if this can be included at this stage. As Klaus points out, it will probably need support of vector formats rather than just the existing raster.

I think the way we initially present a VT or panorama is important, because I'm sure that many people think they are just a static image, animation or video, and have no idea that they can interact with it.

Support for a flash splashscreen would enable us to create more enticing intros. I've seen discussions in these threads about the use of a video preceeding the VT. Is this a flash movie loading the VT into the stage?

Flash can´t be displayed on iPads or Androids - so that is a no-go the case presentig your content on this devices is relevant for you. Which it definitely is these days and in the future.

So html5/JS is the way to go.

Klaus

no avatar
andy4nothin

by andy4nothin » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:13 pm

At this stage I'd be happy just to see a png file scale. They seem to provide a nice crisp overlay whilst the aliasing blends seamlessly into the panos. Here's the title I've been using:

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:59 pm

andy4nothin wrote:@Andrew - Thanks. It will be interesting to see if this can be included at this stage. As Klaus points out, it will probably need support of vector formats rather than just the existing raster.

I don't think the krpano Panorama Viewers support vector formats.
Andrew Stephens

Return to Using Panotour / Panotour Pro 1.8