Uploading the tour online  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Katerina

Uploading the tour online

by Katerina » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 am

Hi,
I'm pretty new to the PTP. I made my first tour. I managed to upload it online and publish on our wordpress based website. Once I want to make any changes to the published tour, for example adding panorama, connecting hotspot, changing navigation etc. Do I need to upload all the files in Build folder again? or is there a way to know which files were changed and upload only those files. I'm testing the tour with about 10 panoramas, so the build folder has over 6000 files and it takes time to upload.

The other question I have is about the size of the individual files. What is the optimal size of one panorama to view on fullscreen and also ipad and iPhone? I'm creating the panorama in PTGUI. it is 8bit tiff file, no compression. the size is 8000x4000, the 300ppi. Is it too big? sometime when I view it on iPad, I see black tile instead of picture, it is telling me the picture was not completely loaded.

Thank you, Katerina

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:54 am

Katerina wrote:Hi,
I'm pretty new to the PTP. I made my first tour. I managed to upload it online and publish on our wordpress based website. Once I want to make any changes to the published tour, for example adding panorama, connecting hotspot, changing navigation etc. Do I need to upload all the files in Build folder again? or is there a way to know which files were changed and upload only those files. I'm testing the tour with about 10 panoramas, so the build folder has over 6000 files and it takes time to upload.

You may want to find a 'smart' FTP program that can compare source and destination and only update those files which have changed.

The other question I have is about the size of the individual files. What is the optimal size of one panorama to view on fullscreen and also ipad and iPhone? I'm creating the panorama in PTGUI. it is 8bit tiff file, no compression. the size is 8000x4000, the 300ppi. Is it too big? sometime when I view it on iPad, I see black tile instead of picture, it is telling me the picture was not completely loaded.

Thank you, Katerina

8K x 4 K is OK, not too big. Why choose TIFF?

Regardess of the resolution of the input images PTP generates appropriately sized cube faces for iDevices, multi-resolution is not yet supported on iDevices or other mobiles.
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Katerina

by Katerina » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 am

Hi, thanks for fast reply. I choose tiff file because it is uncompressed file but I believe that's more for prints than web viewing. Is it correct? It will make my file size smaller for sure. What is the optimum size for pano? I'm resizing down to 8kx4k. I can leave it bigger it that is the standard.
is the occasional black tile appearance on ipad caused by loading or is it most probably some bug in system. It is very random and never on the same place.

I noticed not many people are using sound with pano. Is it because it slowing down the load time?

Thank you so much for your help, Katerina

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 am

Katerina wrote:Hi, thanks for fast reply. I choose tiff file because it is uncompressed file but I believe that's more for prints than web viewing. Is it correct? It will make my file size smaller for sure.

PTP will convert your TIFF file(s) into JPEG files when creating cube faces and tiles.

What is the optimum size for pano? I'm resizing down to 8kx4k. I can leave it bigger it that is the standard.

PTP creates multi-resolution tiles that enable the display of very large high resolution images without significant impact on viewing performance.

So the choice of resolution of input images depends mainly on the level of zoom in-out you wish to offer the viewer.

Larger higher resolution images will result in more files to be uploaded to you server.

is the occasional black tile appearance on ipad caused by loading or is it most probably some bug in system. It is very random and never on the same place.

I don't know - I don't have any iDevices.

I noticed not many people are using sound with pano. Is it because it slowing down the load time?

More likely they never tried it.

It can be very effectiuve if you have a means of recording ambient sound at a scene. Zoom portable recorders work well I'm told.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h2n
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Return to Using Panotour / Panotour Pro 1.8