APG 3+ back to basics.... HOW TO USE IT? 2  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:30 pm

HansKeesom wrote:hmmm the Netherlands is still no Bundesland....

Oops - I thought you were in Germany

Pardon, weet u de weg naar het centrum van de stad
Nou meneer, als ik daar zou gaan zou ik niet beginnen vanaf hier

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 pm

So we conclude

It is not my English
Es ist nicht meiner Deutsch
Het is niet mijn Nederlands
Ik ben het of het is de grap ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Actually, Andrew you are right in some ways.. APG IS suggested to be designed for running on a 32-bit Mac with only 4 gig RAM, or less, and others using PSs with just 4 gig of RAM with few issues, however there are restrictions in this design, since APG requires a lot more than 4 gig of RAM to use all the features such as fusion with my gear and gear like it, unless I make my images a lot smaller... I have yet to find out just how small I need to make them...

Its really a design error due to the fact that APG processes the entire set of pano images in one go, which requires a lot of RAM.. In comparison I can use my images as they are, if I use Photomatix and PGTui to get a faultless stitch and perfect fusion.. I am sure that using my images as they are, running in 32-bit mode, with only 4 gig of RAM, is the reason why my stitching, and others, also has issues when using APG with Photomatix fused images...

"On 64-bit operating systems you have access to essentially unlimited RAM, because these systems offer a wider address system and data path. On 32-bit systems, each application is limited to 4GB of RAM (in practice this number is actually smaller). More RAM means applications can manipulate larger pieces of data, cache more information and handle a wide range of tasks more efficiently. Autopano Giga is compatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, but we highly recommend you to use a 64-bit system if you are planning to create big image stitchings."

Destiny..

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:Therefore, its not the APG software that appears to be the issue, but rather the lack of RAM and probably CPU power the users has at their disposal..

:cool: finally.

Klaus

I'd say it IS the APG software (that is the issue) when running on a lower spec. system, that's still above Kolor's declared min. spec.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:24 am

I have now reduced my image sizes so they can be processed using fusion in APG to 1500X1000 5 bracketed stacks. I am assuming that the less stacks the bigger I can make the images.. Therefore I can assume that using 7 stacked images, I would be wasting my time since the image sizes would be too small to do much with, but I will have to test that assumption more.. This is about the largest I can make my images with APG, which are still taking way too much time to process. I have yet to find the maximum size images I can use..

So, using APG in 32-bit mode, fusion is possible with JPGs as Martin pointed out, the boarder goes green to indicate its active.. However, the image needs to be greatly reduced in size.. This then has an effect on PTP, since the fused pano size is quite small so therefore the zoom level is minimal depending on how big the pano is framed in..

During fusion, the fused image preview does not look too bad, however, the final render is not as nice.. Therefore, not only its painful to use as well as un-repeatable process and very awkward to use.. slide, wait... , slide wait...., slide wait.... the final fused image is not what I want to use..

I feel that the entire process is in needs a good rethink....

Destiny..

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:21 am

Destiny wrote:I have now reduced my image sizes so they can be processed using fusion in APG to 1500X1000 5 bracketed stacks. I am assuming that the less stacks the bigger I can make the images.. Therefore I can assume that using 7 stacked images, I would be wasting my time since the image sizes would be too small to do much with, but I will have to test that assumption more.. This is about the largest I can make my images with APG, which are still taking way too much time to process. I have yet to find the maximum size images I can use..

So, using APG in 32-bit mode, fusion is possible with JPGs as Martin pointed out, the boarder goes green to indicate its active.. However, the image needs to be greatly reduced in size.. This then has an effect on PTP, since the fused pano size is quite small so therefore the zoom level is minimal depending on how big the pano is framed in..

During fusion, the fused image preview does not look too bad, however, the final render is not as nice.. Therefore, not only its painful to use as well as un-repeatable process and very awkward to use.. slide, wait... , slide wait...., slide wait.... the final fused image is not what I want to use..

I feel that the entire process is in needs a good rethink....

Destiny..

Destiny, let's imagine you are to organise a wedding party. You go to a local pub and ask whether on a certain date you can use that place for a wedding party. They say "sure you you can" and you go home. Then you invite 100 people to the wedding party and on the day of the wedding party you find out that the pub is too small for 100 people, certainly when these people are large and you want it to be a comfortable and traditional weddingparty where people can sit and dance.... Does that mean one cannot have wedding parties in that pub? No it does not mean that. Does it mean the idea of a mariage is wrong? No it just means you cannot have normal wedding parties with 100 people in that pub. It means that if you want to invite more people you need a bigger venue.

The rethink is that one should think of the number of people that are to be invited before one chooses the accomodation.

Translating that to image stitching, One can run APG on a 4 GB machine. It will even start on my 2 GB laptop ;-) I can even load 5 of your nef 's, do detection, open the editor, get green light (border) for fusion, render it. it will all work. just as long as I don't invite too many and to large photo's,

So POINT PROVEN : one can even use all the functions of APG on a 2 GB Windows computer as long as the combination of the NR of photos and their size is limited. Where this limitation lies is still to be found but I think the formula I made with others in 2011 helps us out here
see http://www.kolor.com/forum/p87033-2011-08-11-11-53-58#p87033

It starts with Step (1)
==================================
first calculate the scratch space using the formula

"<input image rez> * 4 * <input image count> = scratch"
for example, shooting at 16,2 megapixel, making 1098 photos we calculate 16.2 * 1098 * 4 = 71150.4 MB or 69.48 GB
==================================

in case of your 60 photos we are talking about 15.4 megapixel * 4 * 60 = 3686400000 = 3515 mb. When you were running things on my 16 MB machine I could see memory-usage go up to 7 GB total. As that machine uses 3.5 GB already after starting up, this makes sense as 3515 mb is 3,5 GB and 3,5 plus 3.5 = 7

Now this formula was written in august 2011, where a number of function were not available yet.
It continues with Step (2)
=================================
We compare the the scratch needed to the memory we have, so "memory you have : scratch as calculated"

-1:1 :If you have as many GB's RAM as scratch calculated, you have more then enough RAM, no need to add anymore. Autopano problably will not even use the temp-directory. This is really a dreamsystem.
=================================
Now we have to keep an eye on how much the operation system itself is using. On my virtual mac this is already 2,7 GB. If you add 2,7 GB + 3,5 GB =6.2 GB you notice you are 2.2 GB short on your mac.

The formule describes that with less then 1:1 ratio you still can run the panorama. However, as we noticed in this whole discussion, some functions are lost. So it is time to update the formula with a warning that functions like fusion are likely lost when not having a 1:1 ratio.

Below proof that one can get the green light on even a 2 GB machine.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 am

HansKeesom wrote:Destiny, let's imagine you are to organise a wedding party. You go to a local pub and ask whether on a certain date you can use that place for a wedding party. They say "sure you you can"...

I think they would add 'the max. number we can accommodate is X for a buffet or Y for a sit down meal'....that's what Kolor doesn't seem to do.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:35 am

mediavets wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:Destiny, let's imagine you are to organise a wedding party. You go to a local pub and ask whether on a certain date you can use that place for a wedding party. They say "sure you you can"...

I think they would add 'the max. number we can accommodate is X for a buffet or Y for a sit down meal'....that's what Kolor doesn't seem to do.

That is problably because things are not as simple. Plus some people don't get the meaning of the word "or" in the middle and think X+Y people can be invited for a sit down meal with room to dance.

But yes, Kolor could use the formula mentioned as a warning to people. I am afraid many will not understand the formula, ignore it and then when things go wrong complain about it.

To put it in Australian context, it is one thing to transport your dogs in a pickup-truck. When you want to transport hundreds of sheep or cows it requires a whole different vehicle, though we still call it transport of alive animals. Destiny has a beautifull pickup-truck, I have an 18 wheeler truck plus since recently a gigantic road train. ;-)
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:45 am

.. A guy was standing outside a house where he could hear.. "Meow.. bang!.... Meow... bang!... Meow.. bang!" When the guy emerged from the house he was holding a cat by the tails and said.. "You are right.. there is no room to swing a cat!!".

I guess, the moral of this story is, as long as I capture a small room, I will be ok with using APG fusion with a 32-bit Mac..

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:48 am

If I had a beautiful pickup truck I would sell it and buy a Mac Pro and let the animals run wild... :D

Destiny...

HansKeesom wrote:
mediavets wrote:

That is problably because things are not as simple. Plus some people don't get the meaning of the word "or" in the middle and think X+Y people can be invited for a sit down meal with room to dance.

But yes, Kolor could use the formula mentioned as a warning to people. I am afraid many will not understand the formula, ignore it and then when things go wrong complain about it.

To put it in Australian context, it is one thing to transport your dogs in a pickup-truck. When you want to transport hundreds of sheep or cows it requires a whole different vehicle, though we still call it transport of alive animals. Destiny has a beautifull pickup-truck, I have an 18 wheeler truck plus since recently a gigantic road train. ;-)

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:48 am

HansKeesom wrote:The rethink is that one should think of the number of people that are to be invited before one chooses the accomodation.

Exactly

That's why I chose the pub next door which holds 250 people and has air conditioning and serves quicker.

I had to pay a fee for that reservation but it was worth it to avoid all the hassle

Martin

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:49 am

The room can be as large as you want, as long as you keep the number of photos down.

One thing you might try is to do stack of 3 with bigger EV step in between. You might be surprised
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:48 am

emm.. Indexing is different between V2.6 and V3+ so I guess Kolor must have changed it, which confused me.. The colour is different and RMS value changes too.. If I set both to 2 they display at different lightness in the thumbs between V 2.6 and V3, the render output is also different.. I managed to get a great result using V2.6, but I cannot repeat it in V3+... With all these experiments, I am getting confused with it all.. V2.6 seems to process my images quicker but I thought that the latest 3.0.7 was supposed to be quicker.... I guess you cannot really use this as a guild since my Mac only has 4 gig RAM so its all very unreliable...

Destiny..

Last edited by Destiny on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 pm

3.0.7. has some improvements regarding GPU but that you will only see in teh editor.

Feel free to logon remotely to test this on a 16 GB machine ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Artisan New

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Artisan New » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Hans you use a 16 Gb machine......? I would have sworn you used a 256 Gb machine.....or maybe I have my Hanses mixed up.

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Artisan New wrote:Hans you use a 16 Gb machine......? I would have sworn you used a 256 Gb machine.....or maybe I have my Hanses mixed up.

Greets, Ed.

I have a 2 GB laptop that I now use to test with how many photos from Destiny I can still get fusion green light. This is like a two seater car ;-)

I have a 16 GB machine that is always on and can be used by a number of peole to logon and do their thing. This is like a truck.

I have a 64 GB workstation on which i also run a virtual mac with 64 GB. This is like a roadtrain

I don't have a 256 GB machine, I don't think I can get a ROI on it and also that I would not really need it......but I am not sure.
;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 am

Rather hypercritical of you don't you think Klaus... It was not that long ago where you voiced your opinion about PTP V2 before KNOWING ALL THE FACTS.. Also, on many occasions I have read about your frustration about features in PTP 1.8, claiming is was the software that was at fault and threatening to move onto using something else, yet here you are :rolleyes:.. I am guessing this is your way of PROMOTING the software.... emmmm.... So, I put it to you.. "Don't YOU think that by claiming that that PTP V2 was.... "mickymousing blar blar blar" was stated in ignorance since you did not have a clue about any of the PTP V2 features, yet you made comment anyway..

I suggest you reframe from being so judgmental with your comments and develop some empathy..

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:and finally panotour 2 will not be able to open old panotour 1.x project files.
This would be an absolute no-go. Definitly unacceptable and extremely unprofessional. I would refuse to buy it. Hope it doesn´t come true that way.

Ii don´t need gimmicks - i need realibility and long-term compatibility. I hate amateurish trickypicky mickymousing - flicking plan here, bloppy radar there, wimpypimpy buttons and that all . . . . that´s cheap looking, unelegant supermarket-like stuff.

If they really come up with non-compatability i´ll switch. Just like i have partly switched already with stitching.

best, Klaus

klausesser wrote:Ed - this is redundant speculation. Only Kolor could enlighten the facts.

But we definitely can state that this "bug" doesn´t exist when sufficient amount or RAM is used. So it´s also clear that IF you want to use the feature in APG you NEED more RAM to have it run.

Is that a"bug"? No, not al all. You also wouldn´t handle 12-GB images in Photoshop with 2 GB Ram in your machine, would you.

You also wouldn´t expect to win Monte Carlo driving a Lada.

And so on.

The FACTS are quite obvious. Solutions, workarounds were suggested. Why holding on to something that obviously does not work due to also obvious technical reasons and complaining about "bugs"??

Don´t you also think it harms a software´s reputation claiming it has "bugs" - instead of realizing it´s the own limitations which leads to this shortcomig?

I verified it several times: fusioning DOES work in APG - even with around 80 images - using appropriate hardware.

So: it doesnt´t matter for me whether you are or were a testmamager or whatever. Facts count.

Klaus

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:08 am

Destiny wrote:Rather hypercritical of you don't you think Klaus...

No. Read carefully and cite correctly.

Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:49 am

Oh but I do Klaus.. I Majored in English at Uni and even though English is my Second Language I think I do ok in understanding statements made by you...

Its also apparent to me that you believe as part of a debate, its quite acceptable for you to state personal Put-downs and assume wrongly that without Empathy it's ok to do so.. I have never put your skills down or taken statements from your personal web site and twisted it to make personal judgments about you, yet you have often done it towards me....

http://www.kolor.com/forum/p119379-2013-07-25-14-24-27#p119379

Yesterday I received yet another email of complaint about the way you communicate. Its apparent that any forum member, including me, who does not either accept or acknowledge your advice as being correct, you often resort to Put-downs of that persons knowledge and skills...

We are all leaning here Klaus, that is why most Kolor members are here, 'to learn'. Some have minimal skills but have a lot of enthusiasm.. I advise you not to take forum members enthusiasm away from them by intimidating them with your bigheaded approach to explaining issues to them, and develop empathy for their needs which might be a simple matter of explaining terms in simple ways..

Now that you are the 276th new member to join the Kolor VIP-ROOM, you have a learning curve ahead of you to learn how to use the awesome new PTP V2 with all its new features. I am sure, when the time comes to ask questions, you would appreciate being accommodated in a respectful manner.. And perhaps AFTER you have learnt how to use PTP V2, you can make a judgment call that is based on knowledge and understanding, rather then your past very inappropriate comments made without any understanding of the hard work and time that has gone into the creation of PTP V2...

And as for my use of the Term Bug in APG, others understood my point of view with this yet you failed to., and in many ways it is a bug when software does not warn users that they do not have the hardware resources to process their media.. You can argue the semantics on this all you like, but its then becomes a persons personal opinion which I am allowed to have without PUT-DOWNS by YOU...

Destiny..

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:25 am

Destiny and Klaus,

Get over it. Leave the other alone. If the other writes down BS, leave it to others to respond to that.

It feels like you actually are enjoying flaming one another, or trying to lecture the other.

Don't know your age but by now some reflection on your own behavior should happen!
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 am

I will quote you Hans, the next time you have a run-in with him and begin your "flaming one another" or "lecture the other"......

Destiny...

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 am

Klaus, as you once stated "I can only tell about my own experiences".....so can I....if they are not the same we use different systems and maybe the way the Panosaurus is in view can influence the way Autopano pro treats the images. But it gave me problems I did not have using PTGui in comparison.

And Klaus I told or better warned you not to go into a discussion with me about what constitutes a bug or not. A bug has many forms, from a break in the code (common and cheap to fix), to a business proces that can't adept to the new software (expensive and near impossible to fix). Software is made faster and faster and software editors (the progams used to code not the coders) get smarter and smarter, so most problems these days ly in the higher regions of the software development proces....

== Business analyses Business rules (for instance the minimal and recomended configuration)
tested by means of UAT (User Acceptance Test)
== Functional analyses Functional design (how the buttons and menu's are place, the look and feel)
tested by means of FT (Functional Test)
== Technical analyses The algorithms and the relations between (memory usage, data storage etc.)
tested by means of TT (Technical Test)
== Code The actual writing of the code
tested by compilation testing (does it build) and a follow up test by the coder

In all stages of the so called V-model (TMap testing by Erik van Veenendaal a tutor of me) errors can occur. Typical errors (or bugs if you want but I the technical term is an error or better finding (in Dutch Bevinding)) since a finding can either consitute an error or not, that is up for discussion in the project team (Testmaneger + Project maneger + some stake holders etc.). Now if a recomended configuration is stated, it sort of implies that using a minimal configuration (lets say a normal of the shelf camera, using a normal of the shelf panorama head, processed using normal of the shelf software) the software should not present problems to the user. I use a normal of the shelf camera (12 Mpixel is not excessive is it?), a normal of the shelf head (a Panosaurus 2.0), and normal of the shelf RAW converters (Silkypics/Photomatix). I observed the following:

Using an i5 3.0 Ghz 4 core computer containing 8 Gb or Randon Access Memory and a 3 TB of diskspace over 2 disks (1 TB storage disk and a 2 TB system disk (not ideal I know, historical grown).

Taking a 49 shot panorama (4 M meaning manual focus, manual shuttertime, manual aperture and manual white balance) using RAW files and bracketing 7 steps 0.66 EV spanning 5 EV total. Eposure on the lightest parts of the picture (ETTL) and letting bracketing do the rest. Then the images where batch processed using Silkypics (only sharpening was used since the lens is used is a Samyang so no lens corrections have been used, but since light fall off is limited that should not present a problem).

Then the resulting TIFF files were processed using Photomatix exposure fusion, letting Photomatix deal with it using standard settings. The resulting files were stored bot as HDR files unprossesed and as TIFF files processed. The processed (exposure fused) files were used to create a equirectilinear panorama.....in 9 out 10 cases that did not produce problems but in a few it did create errors in the blending mechanism....

I was just as puzzled as you are Klaus (by my findings) and I'm sure it is not related to memory usage of what kind at all. Since when I used the 7 files of the middle tier of the HDR stack and ran them through the program, I had no problems at all. Now I would have written this of a fluke if there hadn't been similar results coming in from the other side of the planet.

Now the arm of Panosaurus is very close to the camera (due to it's design) and that results in a large part of the photo being covered by the arm.....see exhibit 3:

Now that arm should not show up in the finished panorama, should it? Since it does not in a VR sphere made from the middle tier. But it does (along with some of it's colleges). See exhibit 2:

Now I can correct that, but it is strange and entirely unexpected behaviour.....and as stated it does not appear using PTGui (that I have tested and any good company tests it's competitors products of course). Now Klaus you can say that this is user error, it might very well be (it is a gloomy lobby and I could have done with more steps HDR.....but my camera does not allow me). But two facts remain:

1) Using the middle tear no ghosts appeared......using Kolor Autopano 2.6.4
2) Using PTGui no ghosts appeared (but some nasty PTGui logo's indicating I did not buy PTGui as of yet) see exhibit 1:.
3) Using Kolor Autopano 2.6.4 Destiny had the same problems (and has problems still).

Now I will put the files on a CD-R and send it to you Klaus....just for fun (and to learn something from you if I made some mistake), but even if I made a mistake (which could be the case), this mistake is controled better by PTGui....as shown in exhitbit 3.....made it today in 5 minutes including installing PTGui......

Greets, Ed.

P.S. I like the lighting of Autopano better then the lighting of PTGui that has to be corrected a bit in Photoshop but a bit of curving would solve that.

P.P.S. I could also correct the mistakes Autopano made in Photoshop but that would take more time.

Last edited by Artisan New on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 am

Destiny wrote:I will quote you Hans, the next time you have a run-in with him and begin your "flaming one another" or "lecture the other"......

Destiny...

Feel free to do so. I know I feel a need to explain things to people in a clear as possible way but stop also when they continue to not getting it. I dare to say it helped in this thread to convince you it was all about the memory......
One reason why I stop is because there is the possibility I am wrong, which is where I seem to differ from Klaus (and you?). The other reason is that people are free to be ignorant and I don't need to waiste my time and energy on them

At the moment testing your 60 NEF's on my 2 GB laptop. Witt 55 I was able to get green border for fusion. With 60 I need to change the cache division setting from auto to 1 MB. Things are very slow so test is still running. You might want to look into APG memory settings yourself to see if moving the slider to the rigth and changing the cache division from auto to a certain value helps.

When test with 60 is done, I will post the result here. Could be APG is able to do fusion of 60 NEF's on a 2 GB RAM machine after all....
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am

klausesser wrote:
Artisan New wrote:Klaus,

Do yourself a favour and don't go into a discussion about software bugs with me :)......I was a testengineer, testcoà¶rdinator and testmanager until discussions about bugs got me so frustrated that I quit. What consists of as a bug is far from striaghtforward but if some users don't understand how to use your interface, that is considered a major problem at least. Every last testing stage is the UAT (User Acceptance Test). In which users are confronted with the software (using all the information the normal user would have at their disposal). If a user can operate the software in a way that seems logical but will produce undesired results, any software company has a problem. No software is idiot proof but they all should thrive to be, since we are at some point all idiots and novices.

Greets, Ed.

Ed - this is redundant speculation. Only Kolor could enlighten the facts.

Klaus

Klaus this has nothing to do with speculation, this is common testing practice.....it is called T-map testing an can be viewed as an de facto industry standard in good testing. I did not name the company Kolor in this post in any form, state or matter.....it is common practice at any company. As is taking findings (the technical term of an error-report) seriously. Kolor does take them seriously (as there track record shows) but they also seem to have algorithm limitations, they are facing.

Greets, Ed.

no avatar
Artisan New

Info

by Artisan New » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am

At the moment testing your 60 NEF's on my 2 GB laptop. Witt 55 I was able to get green border for fusion. With 60 I need to change the cache division setting from auto to 1 MB. Things are very slow so test is still running. You might want to look into APG memory settings yourself to see if moving the slider to the rigth and changing the cache division from auto to a certain value helps.

Good testing Hans.......have fun while doing so!

Greets, Ed.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 am

it is mostly the laptop doing the work ;-). If it succeeds however it earns itself a SSD replacement of it's HDD, bigger, faster, keeping a little Acer Aspire alive and kicking. It is a great one to use in an aeroplane and on the road ;-)

It would also be great to see how it performs with a SSD, just for the fun of it. 500 euro costing fun, but still ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom

PreviousNext