Smaller FOV field of view on mobile than on desktop?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
thomash

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Smaller FOV field of view on mobile than on desktop?

by thomash » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 pm

On my Android phone, the FOV looks more like 60-70 degrees, while the panorama is set to 90 degrees. On desktops it appears correct at 90 degrees. I wonder if this is a problem with all Android mobiles? What about on Apple products?

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm

thomash wrote:On my Android phone, the FOV looks more like 60-70 degrees, while the panorama is set to 90 degrees. On desktops it appears correct at 90 degrees. I wonder if this is a problem with all Android mobiles? What about on Apple products?

Guess it´s related to the proportions of the screen.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
thomash

Topic author
Info

by thomash » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:30 am

I went to the local electronics shop today, and looked at the Samsung Note, Galaxy S3, and Tablet 10, iPhone 4, and iPhone Touch. They were showing a smaller vertical FOV than what I see on my desktop.
My mobile is a HTC Desire Android 2.3, and my desktop is Win 7 1920x1080. I have looked on another monitor which is a 3/4 ratio (maybe 1280), and both screens look to have the same vertical FOV.

Here I made 2 builds, the first one at 90 FOV and the "wide" at 120 FOV. If you try to open them with both a desktop, and a mobile, you may see that the mobile appears to have a smaller FOV. In the 2nd build, the mobile FOV looks more like the desktop FOV in the 1st build. I'm using PTP 1.8, with both krpano 1.0.8.14 and 1.0.8.15.

http://www.thomashuang.net/client/generator-copenhagen/generator-copenhagen.html
http://www.thomashuang.net/client/generator-copenhagen/generator-copenhagen-wide.html

I have also tried to play the krpano viewer demo on my mobile, and the FOV is the same as on my desktop. I then assume that the problem is in the PTP code?
I tried inserting a fovtype="VFOV" in the xml, but doesn't change.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by thomash on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
thomash

Topic author
Info

by thomash » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:34 am

Ok, I tried again and, fovtype="VFOV" fixes my problem.

I found in the releasenotes: * Fix: The default "view.fovtype" on Android is now also "MFOV" (like on iPhone/iPad).

What is the default fovtype for desktop?

Is there a way to update PTP to include the fovtype="VFOV" into the template?

Does this also affect gyro.js?
Last edited by thomash on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.