Fisheye lens for a canon fullframe  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
bungolio
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 45
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm
Info

Fisheye lens for a canon fullframe

by bungolio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 am

Hi, i have a 5d MarkIII camera and i want a fisheye lens to use the 4 photos technique to build a sphericall image

I think on a Sigma 15 mm http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Diagonal-Fisheye-Canon-Cameras/dp/B000CDC79M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359342719&sr=8-1&keywords=sigma+15mm

Right now i have rokinon 8mm shaved by my self but i dont like the blury image i obtained. Im attaching a photo with rokinon´s lens

What lens do you suggest?

PS, with a 15mm lens could i taking sphericall image using the 4 photos technique?

Thanks



no avatar
Gund
Member
 
Posts: 69
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 pm
Info

by Gund » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 am

It is strange but I have Rokinon 8mm (here it is called Samyang) on a crop nikon and the quality is much better - it can't be this bad on a FF canon. Besides - I saw some shaved lenses on a FF camera - they have a near-rectangular image not the circle one as on the example.
Are you sure you use a tripod and a remote control to avoid camera-shake? The aperture should be 5.6 or higher and as this lens is manual the focus should be from 0.7m or longer.

no avatar
bungolio
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 45
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm
Info

by bungolio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 am

Gund wrote:It is strange but I have Rokinon 8mm (here it is called Samyang) on a crop nikon and the quality is much better - it can't be this bad on a FF canon. Besides - I saw some shaved lenses on a FF camera - they have a near-rectangular image not the circle one as on the example.
Are you sure you use a tripod and a remote control to avoid camera-shake? The aperture should be 5.6 or higher and as this lens is manual the focus should be from 0.7m or longer.

When i put focus on INFINITY i saw some blur, what setting do you use on the camera?

I opened the lens and remove the hood so thats why there´s no rectangular image

no avatar
burake
Member
 
Posts: 41
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:36 am
Location: Turkey
Info

by burake » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 am

Hi Bungolio,
I am using 5DMark2 with Canon EF 8-15 mm lens...When I want to shoot 4 images (with enough overlapping between the images to have a good stitching result) I have to use my lens at 12 mm....At 15 mm I have to shoot 6 images around+1 Zenith (shot towards the ceiling;sky etc.)...
Feel free to as if you have further questions...
Burak

no avatar
bungolio
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 45
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:49 pm
Info

by bungolio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 am

burake wrote:Hi Bungolio,
I am using 5DMark2 with Canon EF 8-15 mm lens...When I want to shoot 4 images (with enough overlapping between the images to have a good stitching result) I have to use my lens at 12 mm....At 15 mm I have to shoot 6 images around+1 Zenith (shot towards the ceiling;sky etc.)...
Feel free to as if you have further questions...
Burak

Hi burak, thanks for your feedback

My rokinon 8mm (or samyang) its designed to use with aps-c camera, when i get my 5d MarkIII i have to shave the lens to get a full circular image, but i dont know why my lens get some blur when i focus on infinity. I dont know if is the lens or a bad camera setting by me. I made this tour using the rokinonhttp://www.animamedios.com/estadio Its a baseball stadium.

So as you tell, with the sigma 15mm i will not made full sphericall with only 4 images? I like this technique because its quickly and i dont need a tripod or special head, and if this its true, what lens support 4 images technique do you suggest
Last edited by bungolio on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Gund
Member
 
Posts: 69
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 pm
Info

by Gund » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:17 pm

I always set 5.6 and 0.7 m focus - it is enought to get good sharpness from 0.7 to infinity. Although I do 8 pictures on a crop body.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:30 pm

bungolio wrote:So as you tell, with the sigma 15mm i will not made full sphericall with only 4 images? I like this technique because its quickly and i dont need a tripod or special head, and if this its true, what lens support 4 images technique do you suggest

He told you:

"I am using 5DMark2 with Canon EF 8-15 mm lens...When I want to shoot 4 images (with enough overlapping between the images to have a good stitching result) I have to use my lens at 12 mm...."
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Gund
Member
 
Posts: 69
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 pm
Info

by Gund » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 am

Making spherical panos without a tripod and panohead is a challenge - I doubt it can be done right with only a camera and a wide-angle lens even if it is only 4 images

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8836
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 64 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:14 pm

bungolio wrote:PS, with a 15mm lens could i taking sphericall image using the 4 photos technique?

No. You need at least 5 + 1 shots @20% overlap.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

User avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 8836
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 64 posts
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 pm

bungolio wrote:I like this technique because its quickly and i dont need a tripod or special head, and if this its true, what lens support 4 images technique do you suggest

I definitely suggest to use a tripod and a panorama-head - especially indoors - but i don´t know for what you´re shooting panos, of course.
If you´re quite experienced you might use a monopole.
If your goal is good quality: use a 15mm fullframe fisheye doing 5+Zenith or 6+Zenith. If resolution resp. zoom-level isn´t of any interest: use an 8mm.
In terms of shooting there is no dramatically saving of time when you use an 8mm versus a 15mm - but there is a dramatically visible difference in the results.

You see: in the end it simply depends on what you want to achieve - as it is in most cases . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron