A reasonable tour size on web?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
E.HOBA

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

A reasonable tour size on web?

by E.HOBA » Mon May 21, 2012 5:52 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I start using panotour pro recently and usually my tour become 7xxmb. Anyone know where to fix the size of pano?

And also I am considering which size is reasonable for tour on web browsing... will 20mb tour is too heavy for bandwidth?

Thanks

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon May 21, 2012 6:50 am

E.HOBA wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I start using panotour pro recently and usually my tour become 7xxmb. Anyone know where to fix the size of pano?

And also I am considering which size is reasonable for tour on web browsing... will 20mb tour is too heavy for bandwidth?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum...

What size (pixel dimensions) are the pano images you are using as input for the tour?

Because Panotour Pro automatically uses the multi-resolution feature of krpano then the size of the tour is pretty much irrelevant to the performance of playback on whatever platform one is viewing if using any kind of broadband Internet connection.

If you think you will have significant numbers of site visitors using low bandwidth dial up Internet connections, and wish to cater to their limitations, then I would suggest you make a separate version of the tour just for them.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
E.HOBA

Topic author
Info

by E.HOBA » Mon May 21, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks for prompt reply!!

my original pano size is 31641px x 10772px,

Since my pano contain a lot detail, I want my pano can zoom very deep, however it's looks like will make the tour very large.

The tour size is it just depends on the "partial panorama width" and "cutting size" on panorama properties?

no avatar
Aperol

Info

by Aperol » Mon May 21, 2012 10:59 am

on my panos i'm using 10000x5000 as size...
Canon 60D / Samyang 8mm fisheye / Sigma 10mm fisheye / NN3 MKII / Manfrotto Xprob055 / Autopano Giga / Panotour Pro

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 pm

see also the jpeg quality setting. Default is 10 but i find 8 to be plenty which saves a chunk of space

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm

E.HOBA wrote:The tour size is it just depends on the "partial panorama width" and "cutting size" on panorama properties?

Use the "reduce distortion" tab and a jpg value of about 8 when you work on panos of that size.
(don´t forget: you NEED a 2:1 ratio for sphericals).

I usually use the settings i said with panos of about 35000px width - like this one:
http://www.360impressions.de/Kaufhof/

The pano-folder size is about 160MB.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
E.HOBA

Topic author
Info

by E.HOBA » Tue May 22, 2012 7:49 am

klausesser wrote:
E.HOBA wrote:The tour size is it just depends on the "partial panorama width" and "cutting size" on panorama properties?

Use the "reduce distortion" tab and a jpg value of about 8 when you work on panos of that size.
(don´t forget: you NEED a 2:1 ratio for sphericals).

I usually use the settings i said with panos of about 35000px width - like this one:
http://www.360impressions.de/Kaufhof/

The pano-folder size is about 160MB.

best, Klaus

Thanks klausesser, I set the jpg value to 6 to remain the tour size in 50MB.
this is what I got now : http://www.ryancheng.hk/portfolio/victoria-harbour/gallery/portfolio/
hope my web bandwidth will not exceed and viewer won't need to load too much.:rolleyes:

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue May 22, 2012 3:17 pm

E.HOBA wrote:Thanks klausesser, I set the jpg value to 6 to remain the tour size in 50MB.

The problem using that much compression is that you might get posterizing - which means color-steps in the sky and so.
Doesn´t look good and definitely isn´t acceptable in commercial jobs!

The size of the panorama on your server is much lesser issue i mean . . it loads fast nevretheless due to the multiresolution-structure.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue May 22, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel