hotspot alignment problems  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

hotspot alignment problems

by jl-kol » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I bought PTPro for, among other things, its claimed ability to make flyouts easily (I can make them with difficulty in krp)
However
As the 2 screengrabs (state 1 & state 2) show the rectangle tool will not allow a precise click within a framed image - it either overshoots or undershoots. I have tried all variations of left and right clicking + all the modifier keys with no success.

Any suggestions welcome as I have a large number of precise hotspots to make & I'd prefer not to have to edit reams of xml!

Regards

JL

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:16 pm

I don't understand the problem - what is it you are trying to achieve?
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 pm

Andrew
For flyours I'm simply tryong to draw 4 points over a rectangle with the rectangle hotspot tool! and the 2 images illustrate the problem, dont they?
I notice that if I DONT start at the top left there is no problem aligning to the rectangle but then the flyout image is upside down...
Perhaps a bug?

JL

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:59 pm

and does the add polygon not work for you (instead of the add rectangle)? (with polygon you can move all points free in all directions...with the rectangle you cant do this...)
Georg

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:41 am

Hi.. As long as you start top left and draw it Clockwise its ok or it will be upside down or on its side....

also.. maximise the pano and you will be able to move the point easier.. and more accurately...

.. and if you really want absolute accuracy, then edit the xml....

Destiny..
Last edited by Destiny on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:12 am

George & 'Destiny'
I predict that it is your destiny is to read the documentation! flyouts can only be made with the rectangle tool!
I'm having no trouble with other pictures in that exhibition, but just the one I illustrated - strange...

Regards

JL

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:32 pm

jl-kol wrote:I predict that it is your destiny is to read the documentation! flyouts can only be made with the rectangle tool!

Can you show me where you found this stated in the documentation?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Andrew
Here it is:

"The rectangle hotspot is a special polygon hotspot.
All images or videos associated with this hotspot will automatically be resized and directed so that it can be included in the rectangle.
This is an interesting feature that gives the illusion that the screen is a picture that is horizontally placed on a table.
The rectangle hotspot also lets you create a Flying hotspot: To do this, define an identical image in the Object field of the display and link frame for the same rectangular hotspot.
When you click on a hotspot, the oject will move from its initial position towards the center of the screen in a fluid animation, instead of directly being shown on the screen."

I tried the polygon tool but the appropriate extra form does not appear.

I'm making progress with my multi-image flyout project but still encountering some cases where the hotspot simply will not align with the image. Some xml editing looks inevitable.

JL

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 pm

jl-kol wrote:Andrew
Here it is:

"The rectangle hotspot is a special polygon hotspot.
All images or videos associated with this hotspot will automatically be resized and directed so that it can be included in the rectangle.
This is an interesting feature that gives the illusion that the screen is a picture that is horizontally placed on a table.
The rectangle hotspot also lets you create a Flying hotspot: To do this, define an identical image in the Object field of the display and link frame for the same rectangular hotspot.
When you click on a hotspot, the oject will move from its initial position towards the center of the screen in a fluid animation, instead of directly being shown on the screen."

I tried the polygon tool but the appropriate extra form does not appear.

I'm making progress with my multi-image flyout project but still encountering some cases where the hotspot simply will not align with the image. Some xml editing looks inevitable.

JL

Hi JL!

Is it from Kolor- or from KRPano documentation? Could you provide a link so that we don´t have to search for it?:cool:

best,Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:12 pm

jl-kol wrote:I'm making progress with my multi-image flyout project but still encountering some cases where the hotspot simply will not align with the image. Some xml editing looks inevitable.

JL

What I don't understand about the screenshots you showed in earlier post is why there are two yellow outlines?:
http://www.kolor.com/forum/p96148-yesterday-16-46-30#p96148

Are you overlaying two hotspots - one on top of the other?
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Andrew
No I'm not overlaying two hotspots. There are two images to show two different states of the same problem (hence the titles) The hotspot tool jumps from one to the other but WILL NOT align with the bottom left corner. I have now done a galleryfull and several exhibit the same problem - I'll upload it to
http://www.john-law.net/projects/hotspots/ in an hour or two.
Klaus
It is from the kolor documentation http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Panotour_Pro_-_Hotspot_Properties_-_Display#RECTANGLE_HOTSPOT
JL

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:19 pm

jl-kol wrote:I'm making progress with my multi-image flyout project but still encountering some cases where the hotspot simply will not align with the image. Some xml editing looks inevitable.

JL

Hi JL!

Did you try to draw the rectangle counterclockwise?

best, Klaus

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Klaus
Yes I did - even though the docs say not to, I was getting a bit irritated!
BUT
If you do so the flyout image is upside down. I suppose a workaround, until this is fixed, would be to invert the image then allow it to rotate...
JL

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:38 pm

jl-kol wrote:If you do so the flyout image is upside down.

But it works? If so then try different starting-points!

I remember having had issues when i implemented videos into a screen. Andrew (mediavets) helped me out then :cool:
best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:25 pm

have to opt out here...

no explanation what a flying hotspot is, looks like or is doing...
"define a identical image..." of what?
"the object field of the display..." what?
"and link frame for the same ... hotspot"...

sorry dont kwow this language

I just saw in screenshot some yellow line which are not symetrical aligned - which should be normal with rectangular hotspot...
... with polygonal hotspot the manual alignemt is more precise
... and sorry headline states "hotspot alignment problem" not "problem creating flyouts" ... so sorry for not reading in detail
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:29 pm

The unfinished prototype is now on

http://www.john-law.net/projects/hotspots/

Only pano 1 has hotspots so far.
If you pan anticlockwise a little you will see two clusters of images, on the left 6 and on the right 4.
Top left of the left cluster shows the recalcitrant hotspot while the others are acceptable. The right cluster illustrates using non-clockwise points, top left inverts and bottom right mirrors. Neither is acceptable!

I hope this is addressed soon!

JL

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Georg
The polygone hotspot tool does not work with flyouts!
I wish it did
JL

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:08 pm

jl-kol wrote:The unfinished prototype is now on

http://www.john-law.net/projects/hotspots/

Only pano 1 has hotspots so far.
If you pan anticlockwise a little you will see two clusters of images, on the left 6 and on the right 4.
Top left of the left cluster shows the recalcitrant hotspot while the others are acceptable.

How peculiar.

I guess you cannot repeat this bug consistently?

If you delete the hotspot and then save the project, then re-open the project and attempt to place the hotspot again does the bug recur?
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Andrew
The faulty alignment IS repeatable - I have tried on the problematic hotspot several times - peculiar it may be - it looks like a bug to me!
JL

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:35 pm

ps
I tried Andrews suggestion - delete, close, open, recreate hotspot - same fault!
JL

bdd
Kolor Team

Info

by bdd » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 am

Hello,

In order to help users to find the 4th corner that will create a real rectangular hotspot in the tour, we indicate the ONLY available places where can lie the 4th corner when the three first corners are placed.
BUT this algorithm supposes that the 3 first points are correctly placed.
If you are not able to place the 4th corner at the place you think it will create a rectangular hotspot, it is because at least one the 3 first corner is not well placed.

We "improved" this algorithm in the last versions of PTP (1.7.0) to avoid some "bugs" when some users created their 4 points at some places that did not create a REAL rectangular hotspot. What thay saw then in the tour was totally different from what they saw in PTP.

Just for information, we do not distord the rectangular hotspot in the tour, we just rotate it. So we have to compute the rotation from the 4 points you give us. The more precise you are, the more precise the rotation will be.

Gérald

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:08 am

bdd wrote:Hello,

In order to help users to find the 4th corner that will create a real rectangular hotspot in the tour, we indicate the ONLY available places where can lie the 4th corner when the three first corners are placed.
BUT this algorithm supposes that the 3 first points are correctly placed.
If you are not able to place the 4th corner at the place you think it will create a rectangular hotspot, it is because at least one the 3 first corner is not well placed.

I don't see how this applies to the examples illustrated in this post:
http://www.kolor.com/forum/p96148-2012-03-09-16-46-30#p96148

And the example described in this post and portrayed in the linked tour:
http://www.kolor.com/forum/p96175-2012-03-10-16-29-54#p96175

Just for information, we do not distord the rectangular hotspot in the tour, we just rotate it. So we have to compute the rotation from the 4 points you give us. The more precise you are, the more precise the rotation will be.

Gérald

I don't really underestand what it is you are saying here - "we do not distord the rectangular hotspot in the tour, we just rotate it. So we have to compute the rotation from the 4 points you give us" - what are the implications of this?
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 am

Hello again
Does Gerald's post imply that only a perfect rectangle can be drawn as a mask? I hope not as a four sided figure is what is needed in my case. The photograph was of course rectangular but is distorted in the pano.
After some thought about the problem I masked off all the rest of the pano leaving an image floating in a white void - but with the same result - I can post images - but can't see how to do so with 'quick post'
Regards
JL

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:40 am

jl-kol wrote:I can post images - but can't see how to do so with 'quick post'
Regards
JL

Use Post reply (it's just below Quote) instead of Quick Post and you'll find the image upload feature below the message composition box.
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
jl-kol

Topic author
Info

by jl-kol » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello
I have now 'otspotted' most of the images but there seems no pattern to what works and what does not.

here are some images of my latest efforts to hotspot a picture in an exhibition.

1 shows the problematic bottom corner
2 shows wall and picture reduced to a simple black rectangle on a white ground - which still does not work!

btw thanks for all the input, I'm sure we will get there!

JL

Next