Total price for Panotour  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
DrSlony

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Total price for Panotour

by DrSlony » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Hey

What is the total price of Panotour with support for audio and with a license that allows me to send the built panoramas to clients so they can host it on their websites?
Secondly, is there a way to get Panotour to create panoramas viewable on an Android smartphone/tablet? I tried HTML5 export in the trial but had no luck getting the panos to display on my Android phone, and since soon there will be more people online using phones than classical computers, that's not something I want to miss.

Regards

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:40 pm

use a licensed panotour pro version...
(but even than - many features you can set in panotour are not html5 compatible - its a limitation of html5 and krpano, not panotour....)
(but why not installing flash on the android tablet and than using the normal flash pano from panotour....? android >2.3 should work...)
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
digipano

Info

by digipano » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 am

If your phone has flash then best would be to use flash.
Earlier android before 2.3 gingerbread not all phones supported flash but if you have html5 compatible browser then you can view, try installing Dolphin HD browser from the market.

I remember flash is not compatible with below ARM v7 processor.

DrSlony

Topic author
Info

by DrSlony » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:37 pm

gkaefer what do you mean by "licensed"? As opposed to trial? Or do you mean registered (299EUR) + some extra license (how much, what for?)?

Installing anything just to get a panoramas to show is out of the question, as none of the people trying to view it will do that. I can play Google Street View panoramas just fine on the phone (in fact they pan more smoothly than on my computer!) so clearly the phone has the capacity to display panos, I just can't get it to display any panos from Panotour. Don't know what settings in Panotour will make it compatible, if any.

http://www.kolor.com/panotour-panotour-pro-comparison.html
http://www.panoramaphotographer.com/comparisons/

The price of Panotour vanilla is already quite high, and the Pro version's price is just through the roof, and that's still with branding. What justifies it? Why is it about five times higher than the competition's? I don't see the answer in the features list. The only feature that makes me even want to consider paying so much is that I want the miniplanet intro, it's a very nice effect, but not worth 300 Euro.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:59 pm

I mean to buy the panotour pro.
and yes theres the dilemma. you cant use the demo version to upload your html5 (nor the flash) pano to your webspace and to test... demo mode is only working on local computer without webserver. and the files locally placed on your pc you cant access with your idevice/android...

if you cant view the flash locally than its most propybly a security restriction issue caused by flash....
can you access the html/idevice tour locally with your webbrowser?

the idevice/html tours are bound on some limitations: in general spherical panos are needed, and since panotour 1.7.1 (final) planar panos can be used with minimum fov 360x45 or more (mobie idevice Tour option in ptp 1.7.1 project properties->tour build

did you use the generic.html template for building your tour you've problems with android?

Georg

PS: its quite simple: if the price is too high for you, why wasting time with the product, take your cheaper favorite...
and personally I dont understand your argument with the branding free... its not kolor/panotour issue its showing the krpano branding... so here not really the correct place... and why is it an issue at all? each flash object gives you the branding of adobe, theres no branding free flash player available....
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrSlony

Topic author
Info

by DrSlony » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:30 pm

I could put up Apache and view it locally, if that will work.

Are there any HTML5 panoramas created by Panotour supposedly "compatible with Android" (if that means anything) which you can link me to so that I can test? I'll browse the gallery and try to find one. I need to be sure this is possible before I buy - smartphones are the tool of the future and I don't want to push them aside the way many proprietary software companies push aside operating systems other than Windows (praise Kolor!).

"did you use the generic.html" I used one of the default ones, probably that one, will try again.

"PS: its quite simple: if the price is too high for you" No that's not it - the question is why is it that high, considering another product which does the same costs 5 times less. Also consider this: Alexandre and then Lionel created Autopano, which grew into a company with a whole group of people on the payroll (how many now?). krpano, as far as I know, is a one-man show. Panotour is just a GUI + an XML builder for it (correct me if I'm wrong). Considering the complexity of writing Autopano (SIFT, then smartblend etc) versus writing a flash panorama viewer, you should expect Autopano to cost more, yet the price is identical! Autopano - 99EUR, Autopano Giga 299EUR. Panotour - 99EUR, Panotour Pro - 299EUR. That's why I asked what is it about Panotour that makes it value itself as much as a program which I consider much more sophisticated.

As for branding *in general*, I think "branding" is a euphemism. The correct term is advertisement. You pay for a product, yet you get adware in return - a tool that apart for doing what you want it to do forcefully places advertisements of itself as well... but the morality of that is another issue, let's not continue it in this thread :]

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14 am

DrSlony wrote:"PS: its quite simple: if the price is too high for you" No that's not it - the question is why is it that high, considering another product which does the same costs 5 times less.

And that other product is what?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.