Whats the best way to make tours for slow connection?  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
digipano

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Whats the best way to make tours for slow connection?

by digipano » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Broadband is still not available in many parts of the world & many have started to access tours using mobile internet (slow) connection hence the requirement.
Lets say we make full resolution tour for broadband (8000x4000) is there a way to reduce the size of the same tour so it renders faster on a slow connection.

Other way around is to physically reduce the size of images to 4000x2000 & redo the entire tour.
Can we render multiple size output once the tour is done?

no avatar
sikhoonak

Info

by sikhoonak » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Where are you from?

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 pm

digipano wrote:Broadband is still not available in many parts of the world & many have started to access tours using mobile internet (slow) connection hence the requirement.
Lets say we make full resolution tour for broadband (8000x4000) is there a way to reduce the size of the same tour so it renders faster on a slow connection.

Other way around is to physically reduce the size of images to 4000x2000 & redo the entire tour.
Can we render multiple size output once the tour is done?

Strong compression? No multires?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I would also like to know how to reduce the size/loading time of the tours. I am working on my first real project with Autopano Pro 2.6 and Panotour Pro 1.7, and I made a sample tour with 8 panos that takes approximately 20-30 seconds to load on what I would say are the average computer for a college student in the U.S. based on my testing on 4 computers with different connections.

We were hoping to get around 20 total panos into the tour without breaking it into separate tours if possible, but if the tour takes 60+ seconds to load it wouldn't be possible.

Any suggestions on which settings I should experiment with in order to minimize load size without sacrificing image quality?

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:55 pm

jeradg wrote:I would also like to know how to reduce the size/loading time of the tours. I am working on my first real project with Autopano Pro 2.6 and Panotour Pro 1.7, and I made a sample tour with 8 panos that takes approximately 20-30 seconds to load on what I would say are the average computer for a college student in the U.S. based on my testing on 4 computers with different connections.

We were hoping to get around 20 total panos into the tour without breaking it into separate tours if possible, but if the tour takes 60+ seconds to load it wouldn't be possible.

Any suggestions on which settings I should experiment with in order to minimize load size without sacrificing image quality?

Can you precisely describe your settings in PTP? Prefrerably with screenshots?

DON´T use: "embed xml" or "embed all"!

Set "compression" to 6 or 7.

Use an image size of 5000px width max.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
jeradg

Info

by jeradg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks Klaus.

I'm going to check the effects of reducing the image sizes first. Currently they are coming out as about 11500 x 5400. I am using a fisheye 8mm and not using nadir shots.

-- In Autopano: reducing output size to 5000.

-- In Panotour: I will change the compression settings (I am sure I left it as default), and going to export without any embedded data.

I am not the person uploading/doing website work, but just so I know, how does embedding data increase loading times?

no avatar
kevshu

Info

by kevshu » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 am

jeradg wrote:how does embedding data increase loading times?

Embedding data means it has to load all of the data before starting since it's embedded in the swf file. If you have 20 panos, it has to load everything and can take a long time, but without the embed data, it only loads the files it needs when it needs. This is because all the image files and related tour files are in a data folder which is referenced as needed.

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Schumacher
Canon 5Dmk2, 15mm Fisheye, 24-70mm, 100mm Macro, 100-400mm, Nodal Ninja 3
Orion GoTo Mount, BT Ver2 Module, Papywizard on Fujitsu LifeBook U810