auto resizing of pictures  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
PeterPandi

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

auto resizing of pictures

by PeterPandi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:42 am

hi,
i would like to know if there is a setting i can modify to auto resize the jpeg images in my project, autoresize to the viewers screen and browser window size.
thx.
PP

DArt
Kolor Team

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by DArt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:04 pm

No there is no setting to resize automatically images (hotspots links, map...).

However, Panotour 1.6 will provide automatic resize for images set as hotspot links.

no avatar
PeterPandi

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by PeterPandi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 pm

thanks for your answer.when is that version going to be available?

DArt
Kolor Team

Info

by DArt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:18 pm

In 2~3 months for release, a bit early for alpha/beta release... (date is not yet defined)

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:33 pm

PeterPandi wrote:hi,
i would like to know if there is a setting i can modify to auto resize the jpeg images in my project, autoresize to the viewers screen and browser window size.
thx.
PP

If you are talking about the display size of a hotspot Link/Object JPEG then you can do that now by specifying the display size as a % and not as pixels.

Or is this not what you want?

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

DArt
Kolor Team

Info

by DArt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Just to be more precise :

Mediavets remarks will set size for display only, but images will be embed as is. So if your image has a large size, it will take time to load for user even if you set a display size of 100x100pixels!

Lot of user has loading time problem due to this confusion, that is why we choose to auto-resize the image before build the tour to avoid to bandwith consuming.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:00 pm

DArt wrote:Just to be more precise :

Mediavets remarks will set size for display only, but images will be embed as is. So if your image has a large size, it will take time to load for user even if you set a display size of 100x100pixels!

Lot of user has loading time problem due to this confusion, that is why we choose to auto-resize the image before build the tour to avoid to bandwith consuming.

Do you do this now - I wasn't aware of it if you do.

And if you do this - auto-resize before building the tour - then how can you determine how large the image will need to be because you can know the resolution of the display on which it may be viewed.

It's all very well trying to protect the 'intellectually challenged' from themselves but it can be taken too far - I believe that is called dumbing down. It seems a little patronising to assume that people can't learn how to do things properly.

Or perhaps I've completely misunderstood what you are saying?
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:20 pm

mediavets wrote:It's all very well trying to protect the 'intellectually challenged' from themselves but it can be taken too far . .

I definitely agree . . can´t detect any sense in that measure - there are much more vital issues.

mediavets wrote:Or perhaps I've completely misunderstood what you are saying?

That´s what i´m asking myself too . . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

DArt
Kolor Team

Info

by DArt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:54 pm

It took us 20min to implement, and it will save us a lot of hours for our support team for that problem. Advanced users are aware of this problem, but it is not the majority of our clients. ;)

Note that is already implemented for map since 1.5.0 version....

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:10 pm

DArt wrote:It took us 20min to implement, and it will save us a lot of hours for our support team for that problem.

I've not seen that many support requests about this on the forum.

Do you get most support requests via some other route?

Advanced users are aware of this problem, but it is not the majority of our clients. ;)

Could that be because it is not adequately documented?

If it is just tell 'em to RTFM (what is that when translated to French or German or...) Or are we also seeking to assist the illiterate now?;)

So if one specifies the Link/Object size as a % rather than in pixels how do you plan to auto-resize the image? What size will it be? Will I know what size it is?

Anyway don't get me started on the very inadequate map feature where there's still no way for the user to specifiy the closed size of the map via the GUI.:rolleyes: That would probably take about 20 minutes to implement too, and I've suggested how it might look in the GUI some long time ago, but no sign of it happening...
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

DArt
Kolor Team

Info

by DArt » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:40 pm

mediavets wrote:
DArt wrote:It took us 20min to implement, and it will save us a lot of hours for our support team for that problem.

I've not seen that many support requests about this on the forum.

Do you get most support requests via some other route?

Yes, no-advanced users contact us by mail with the contact form of our website ;)
They generally not use this forum.
mediavets wrote:
Advanced users are aware of this problem, but it is not the majority of our clients. ;)

Could that be because it is not adequately documented?

If it is just tell 'em to RTFM (what is that when translated to French or German or...) Or are we also seeking to assist the illiterate now?;)

Our documentation need to be better, you are right but we are already working on that. Saying RTFM to our clients is not really the best for us :P
mediavets wrote:

So if one specifies the Link/Object size as a % rather than in pixels how do you plan to auto-resize the image? What size will it be? Will I know what size it is?

It is resized to 2048x2048 at maximum, so more than standard screen of user.
mediavets wrote:Anyway don't get me started on the very inadequate map feature where there's still no way for the user to specifiy the closed size of the map via the GUI.:rolleyes: That would probably take about 20 minutes to implement too, and I've suggested how it might look in the GUI some long time ago, but no sign of it happening...

It tooks us a bit more than 20min for 1.6 version.... ;)

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:40 pm

DArt,

Thanks for the info.

I'm a bit suprised that people choose to use the contact form rather than the forum to seek help.

The contact form is harder to find than the forum and there are always users willing to help newcomers on the forum.

How can we encourage more people to the make use of the forum for support questions?

I was teasing about the RTFM comment - well to some extent - I worked in telephone support role for a PC manufacturer for a while many years ago and I know how tempted I was to make that suggestion sometimes. It is certainly not unreasonable to point users to relevant on-line documentaion when it exists.

I am looking forward to enhanced map and thumbnail features in 1.6 - can you yet offer any insight into planned/likely enhancements?
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens