Poor documentation.  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
mrterra2000

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Poor documentation.

by mrterra2000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 am

I am desperate here and feel like I have to post in this forum every single question.I find the documentation on this software to be very poor and the lack of a tutorial awful (the wiki looks more like a glossary to me...).It seems that developers are foreseeing the importance of teaching their clients a proper workflow.The software seems pretty nice but this issue is making me think that I was better off with pano2vr wich is a simpler soft. but has excellent tutorials...

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:21 am

Welcome to the forum....

mrterra2000 wrote:I am desperate here and feel like I have to post in this forum every single question.

Ask away...I'll do my best to help.

I find the documentation on this software to be very poor and the lack of a tutorial awful (the wiki looks more like a glossary to me...).It seems that developers are foreseeing the importance of teaching their clients a proper workflow.

All the Kolor software products have been evolving quite rapidly of late and the developers decided to wait until things 'stabilised' before committing more resources to documentation.

The software seems pretty nice but this issue is making me think that I was better off with Pano2vr wich is a simpler soft. but has excellent tutorials...

I started off with Pano2VR too, and yes there are nice tutorials for it, but I've not used it for a long time now. I never did really get my head around creating hotspots and programming 'skins' for Pano2VR.

I find Panotour and Panotour Pro are much easier to use to produce virtual tours. And Panotour Pro makes it very easy to produce iDevice compatible tours.
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:03 pm

mediavets wrote:I find Panotour and Panotour Pro are much easier to use to produce virtual tours. And Panotour Pro makes it very easy to produce iDevice compatible tours.

Yes - i fully agree. PTP is basically very intuitive - but of course you need some time to get used to it. Nevertheless a detailed documentation is essential.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mrterra2000

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by mrterra2000 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm

thx guys! i will certainly make questions for now i will continue reading.One thing when I import a panorama stitched with ptgui pro i get a yellow ! sign inside the thumbnail ptp, is this normal?
Last edited by mrterra2000 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

mrterra2000 wrote:thx guys! i will certainly make questions for now i will continue reading.One thing when I import a panorama stitched with ptgui pro i get a yellow ! sign inside the thumbnail ptp, is this normal?

Yes, it is normal.

Images stitched and rendered with APP/APG have a special Kolor custom EXIF tag which describes the pano FOV and other things about the pano image.

PT/PTP will read this to set the pano FOV and vertical offset values automatically in the Panorama Properties/Projection/Input field of view tab..

PTP will display that yellow ! alert if that custom EXIF tag tag is not there - for example because the imported image was not created using APP/APG or because the custom EXIF tag has been lost through post-processing - to warn the user that he/she needs to check that the pano FOV and vertical offset values are set correctly.

If the custom EXIF tag is not found then PT/PTP will guesstimate the pano FOV as follows:

1. If the image is equirectangular then it will set the pano FOV to be 360x180; and it will most often be correct.

2. If the pano image is not equirectangular it will set the HFOV dimension to 360 (or in some instances set the VFOV to 180) and calculate the other dimension based on the aspect ratio of the image; and in many instances the values assigned will be incorrect. If the user corrects one of the values then the software will automatically calculate the other correctly.

Does this answer your question?
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.