RC: external edited xml-templates / own plugins/includes  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Panotour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
tombred

RC: external edited xml-templates / own plugins/includes

by tombred » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:39 am

alexandre said for beta2:

* Ability to reuse custom xml files ( export once, modify exported xml, say reuse external xml, export another time => it reincorporate external modification into the swf.

i tried a lot and scanned the whole section about ptp in this forum, but couldn't find out how to get this working.

if i' making my own set for a theme including my own graphics, style.xml and template.xml, i couldn't solve this problem.
inserting custom code lines with <plugin> or <include> are ignored during build process or are causing file format error (@ swf), even when putting my own xml or swf files in a proper location guessed from the error warnings.

is it possible to insert custom code into the template.xml files which is left untouched during the build process and can have a preconfigured path to plugin/include directory in the built project where custom files currently aren't overwritten?

any hints would be much appreciated!

thanks
thomas
thomas bredenfeld - vienna
http://panorama-blog.com

ygilquin
Kolor Team

by ygilquin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:54 pm

There is a confusion. This feature (Ability to reuse custom xml files) is about xml code generated for krpano, not for template. To create your own template until official documentation is available, duplicate one existing and follow comments inside xml files.
--
Yann G.
www.kolor.com

tombred

by tombred » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:56 pm

hi yann!

i understand that there are two types of xml files we're dealing with when working with ptp: the template xml files and the resulting krpano xml files.

plz correct me if i'm wrong: the template xml file are ptp specific and are parsed during build process to assemble the output krpano xml files. sometimes the template xml files contain krpano code chunks which are only copied into the result krpano xml file (e.g. menu button plugins).

ptp is absolutely great preparation tool for further code fine tuning by hand. especially arranging the panos, setting up the hotspots and keeping an overview about the whole project is a huge timesaver with ptp. alone setting all this hotspots by hand coding in krpano xml files is a pain.

but ptp (by now) only supports a basic set of features available in krpano. @photokina i talked with alexandre about e.g. integrating the google maps plugin in ptp. such a feature must be integrated in a project after exporting all panos and by modifying the exported krpano xml files manually. if i need to re-export the project e.g. after an image editing on the panos, the ptp export naturally is overwriting all manually modified files. fortunately it doesn't replace the whole folder and additional custom files are left in place and untouched.

so now my question, suggestion, request is:

is it possible to place a specially tagged area in the ptp template xml files where i can define e.g. includes or plugins for my own customization. the only requirement should be wellformed xml to not disturb what ptp is parsing during build process.

it would be ideal to have such an area at least at the beginning and at the end of the main template xml file. let me illustrate this with some fictional sample code based on Templates/menu/navigation-fullscreen-help.xml:

Code: Select all
<menu>
 <customcode>
  <!-- this code block will be copied unchanged to the resulting main xml file -->
  <include url="plugins/google_maps_and_some_other_own_stuff.xml" />
  <plugin name="editor" url="tools/editor.swf" />
  <plugin name="options" url="tools/options.swf" />
 </customcode>
 <!-- go on with usual ptp template code -->
 <translation>...

of course every url path should be existing in the folder to where the project is exported. perhaps it can be treated in the same way you implemented [font=courier]$(STYLEDIR)[/font] in a kind like [font=courier]$(EXPORTDIR)[/font].

up to now all custom code inside the template xml file is ignored during the build process.

as i've some experience with code parsing / assembling (and with manual krpano coding as well) i think this shouldn't be too much work to implement this feature which makes ptp even more interesting for advanced users who want to tweak their projects without losing the possibility to re-edit the project without the need to re-integrate their own adjustments after each new ptp export.

this would allow ptp to rebuild the project as often as needed and at the same time to keep the manual custom code tweaking independent from these exports. ptp would get no notice from my own xml files, which are only important for the final project.

can i be of some hope to see this in the release? ;)

thanx for listening
thomas

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:09 pm

tombred wrote:but ptp (by now) only supports a basic set of features available in krpano. @photokina i talked with alexandre about e.g. integrating the google maps plugin in ptp. such a feature must be integrated in a project after exporting all panos and by modifying the exported krpano xml files manually. if i need to re-export the project e.g. after an image editing on the panos, the ptp export naturally is overwriting all manually modified files. fortunately it doesn't replace the whole folder and additional custom files are left in place and untouched.

Does the option to 'Use existing XML files' help here?

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

tombred

by tombred » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:14 pm

i tried to fiddle around with it. but: no, this option doesn't help.

i'm uncertain what this checkbox does. i didn't find any result/difference from checking/unchecking it :(

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:31 pm

tombred wrote:i tried to fiddle around with it. but: no, this option doesn't help.

i'm uncertain what this checkbox does. i didn't find any result/difference from checking/unchecking it :(

I don't know either.

I like the ideas you expressed in your earlier post:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p73393-today-12-56-05#p73393

I'm sure it would be good to add such capabilities (howver they are implemented) because it would make PTP more attractive to experienced krpano hand coders - enabling them to use it, as you have been doing, as a sort of RAD (Rapid Application Development) tool to do the basics which are then embellished with hand coding.

The problems you raised - overwriting of custom XML on later tour builds- have long been an issue with Autopano Tour/Panotour but to date Kolor hasn't really responded.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:38 pm

As Thomas quoted from Alexandre's description of new features (and bug fixes) in Panotour and Panotour Pro V1.5 beta2:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p71318-2010-10-25-14-34-32#p71318

"Ability to reuse custom xml files ( export once, modify exported xml, say reuse external xml, export another time => it reincorporate external modification into the swf. That's kprotect feature done with PanoTour )."

It sounds really interesting but I don't understand what this really means anymore than Thomas does.

Can someone please explain how we can make use of it?
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

renan
Kolor Team

by renan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Manual :
- export your project with out checking "Use existing XML files"
- make your modifications into exported xml files
- check "Use existing XML files" and export : modified xml files are embedded into the swf

be careful : if this option is checked, xml files are not exported, so modifications made into Panotour will not be exported. It's better to use this option when your project is almost finished.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:28 pm

renan wrote:Manual :
- export your project with out checking "Use existing XML files"
- make your modifications into exported xml files
- check "Use existing XML files" and export : modified xml files are embedded into the swf

be careful : if this option is checked, xml files are not exported, so modifications made into Panotour will not be exported. It's better to use this option when your project is almost finished.

Renan,

Thanks for the explanation.

Sadly, this is nothing like what people - such as Thomas - have requested:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p73393-2010-11-26-12-56-05#p73393

Do you have any response to his request and suggestions?
Last edited by mediavets on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Return to Using Panotour / Panotour Pro 1.8