Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:08 pm 

A few questions.

- How "cutting size" affect the final panorama?
- What's the practical difference on using 512 or 256 or 128 or 64...

A D7000 is on my plans... What about a full resolution panorama at 16000x8000 or more, using the 10.5mm, to give the client more zooming in?
- What would be the appropriate cutting size?
- Why?

As for the krpanotools droplets:
- can I input the cutting size parameter?
- can I change jpeg compression of the autogenerated tiles of a multires pano?
- what's the difference between "MAKE PANO (TILED)" and "MAKE PANO (MULTIRES)"

Thanks,
Marco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:18 am 

Quote:
- How "cutting size" affect the final panorama?

cutting size cuts the pano images into smaller tiles for (multires panos only) so if a user is looking for a specif area of 128 by128 pix then the tile of that area will be downloaded from the server.

Quote:
What's the practical difference on using 512 or 256 or 128 or 64...

as per above example the specific area tile needs to be downloaded & if the user is viewing the area of 128x128 pix & your tiles are 512 pix it will have to be downloaded a much bigger tile which maybe not user friendly to the bandwidth, so smaller tiles will render tours faster when fully zoomed in.

Quote:
As for the krpanotools droplets:
- can I input the cutting size parameter?
- can I change jpeg compression of the autogenerated tiles of a multires pano?

Yes you can change the various parameters in kmakemultires.config file, open the file in text editor & ensure you save it as .config file not as text file.

Quote:
"MAKE PANO (TILED)" and "MAKE PANO (MULTIRES)"

they both are self explanatory, make pano will create only 6 cubes with limited resolution whereas make pano multires will tile & cut those tiles (1024-64) & make multres tour.

Smaller the tiles such as 64x64 faster tour rendering will happen on slower connection of gigapixel images.

Last edited by digipano on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:04 pm 

digipano wrote:
Marco Lanciani wrote:
What's the practical difference on using 512 or 256 or 128 or 64...

as per above example the specific area tile needs to be downloaded & if the user is viewing the area of 128x128 pix & your tiles are 512 pix it will have to be downloaded a much bigger tile which maybe not user friendly to the bandwidth, so smaller tiles will render tours faster when fully zoomed in.

So viewing in fullscreen resolution, using tiles bigger than 1024 seems useless.
- Am I wrong?

digipano wrote:
Marco Lanciani wrote:
"MAKE PANO (TILED)" and "MAKE PANO (MULTIRES)"

they both are self explanatory, make pano will create only 6 cubes with limited resolution whereas make pano multires will tile & cut those tiles (1024-64) & make multres tour.

Smaller the tiles such as 64x64 faster tour rendering will happen on slower connection of gigapixel images.

Actually I guessed the answer but wasn't sure: tile is not equal to cube face. :)
Thank you very much,
Marco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:28 pm 
Administrator

digipano wrote:

This is true, but...

marco.lanciani wrote:
So viewing in fullscreen resolution, using tiles bigger than 1024 seems useless.

This is false. Be aware that Krpano player allocates some memory overhead (RAM) for each tile it loads. This means limiting tiles number is a way to reduce memory consumption used by the browser and in certain cases, it's a way to prevent him from crashing. To limit tiles number, you can increase tile cutting size to 1024 for example. Using a high cutting size is recommended for gigapixels tours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:27 pm 

ygilquin wrote:
digipano wrote:

This is true, but...

marco.lanciani wrote:

This is false. Be aware that Krpano player allocates some memory overhead (RAM) for each tile it loads. This means limiting tiles number is a way to reduce memory consumption used by the browser and in certain cases, it's a way to prevent him from crashing. To limit tiles number, you can increase tile cutting size to 1024 for example. Using a high cutting size is recommended for gigapixels tours.

Hi ygilquin,

you're right, infact I thought smaller than 1024 but wrote bigger...(maybe because of the zooming in effect) :)