Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 pm 
Administrator

This version is built upon AutopanoTour beta 11, hence it has the same bug fix changelog.

Unregistred users have access to almost all features. The exported visit for an unregistred user will display a text in the middle of the window.

Separation

Has we announced, AutopanoTour has splitted up in two versions and changed its name. This was to satisfy two different publics :

Panotour

For users who want to quickly build a virtual tour from equirectangular and partial panoramas. Everything is set in the software. A template system is used to easily customize the appearance of the rendered visit. There is no more audio/video support for this version. Exported pano are limited to 200 Mega pixels (approximately a 5700 wide cube face for equirectangular).

Panotour Pro

This version is for users who want to go deeper in the virtual tour creation process. All templates present in the standard version is editable, and the user can create its own. Some more features and options are present (see details after).

New features

* New graphical user interface:
o A brand new black theme is used, new icons, two color models depending on the version of the software (orange:standard, blue:pro). It is more contrasted and should allow the user to concentrate on what is the more important.
o Some efforts were made on the compactness of the properties tabs, as they tended to grow larger with each version. You will find all the previous options, but some may have a different place or a slightly different name:
+ "Appearance" tab : it displays all the option for what will appear on the final visit (menu, color, font, panorama list...)
+ "Behavior" tab : it displays all that is related to the animation of the visit
+ The map/logo/thumbnail/sound tabs were merged into a "Plugin" tab. You will have to scroll to switch between those plugins, some more may come in this section in future developments.
+ "Export" tab : all the options relative to the export mode of the project.

* Theme : This is a new concept in Panotour. A theme is a set of properties for the appearance of a visit. It defines a global color, a default font, its color, a folder for graphical resources (such as hotspots, menu items,...), a set of compatible menus, and a set of compatible hotspots. More details are available in the theme xml for pro users who want to go deeper.

* "Controls" : those are the items displayed in the visit to control it (navigation, zoom, fullscreen,...). We added an info button to display a helpscreen, explaining how to use the visit.

* Autorotation settings in the UI.

* Splash screen : a picture displayed while loading the panorama. Can be the helpscreen of the info button.

* Picture export options : they are back! You can choose between Alway/Never export images or the Automatic mode (default).

* Mobile devices compatibility (Pro only) : This activate the krpano iPhone/iPad compatibility. It has some limitations, explained in the software.

* Hotspots, a new way to handle them : You can now defines a type of hotspots (info, direction, ...) for a punctual spot. The ones we provide in the software are also available in an animated version (sequence). Pro users can define their own hotspot type in the theme (including sequence of images). Each version allows a custom static spot as before.

* Export cube faces (Pro) : you can export the cube faces version of any equirectangular panorama (no need to laod them in the project). Recommended export format is tiff (lossless).

* Import cube faces (Pro) : Choose 6 files and reorder them to define a panorama from cube faces.

* Global settings : you can choose
o to replace the last exported file automatically (no confirmation);
o to export the project when clicking on the "play" button;
o to automatically play the generated visit after dragging a pano on the "quick export" dock.

* Template names are more understandable : a caption and a tooltip are displayed instead of the xml name. Pro users can edit their own caption.

Warnings

As the software changed its name, all the settings you may have saved will be lost. This is still a beta version so test it and report any problems on the forum! It is provided as it is with no guarantees, except that we will do our best to enhance this software. Some things may be broken so you may experience problems loading old projects, hopefully not.

Registration process

No more krpano licence is asked in the software, we embed our own krpano licence with your registration name in the player.

As this software is no more part of the Autopano Giga suite, it has its own key. Check on [THE WEBSITE - AVAILABLE MONDAY PROBABLY] to generate your panotour (pro) key from your APG key and krpano licence.

To sum up:
* APG users will get a Panotour key
* APG users having a krpano (unlimited domains) licence will get a Panotour Pro key

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Administrator

URL

PanoTour :
Windows 32 bits : http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/Panotour_win32_150B1_2010-09-17.exe
Windows 64 bits : http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/Panotour_x64_150B1_2010-09-17.exe
Mac Leopard 32/64 bits : http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/Panotour_Mac_Leopard_150B1_2010-09-17.dmg

PanoTour Pro :
Windows 32 bits : http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/PanotourPro_win32_150B1_2010-09-17.exe
Windows 64 bits : http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/PanotourPro_x64_150B1_2010-09-17.exe
Mac Leopard 32/64 bits : http://ftp.autopano.net/releases/PanotourPro_Mac_Leopard_150B1_2010-09-17.dmg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:26 pm 

Hi Alexandre!

Could you please enlighten me: we have an unlimited license - but its´s not accepted.
Do we have to get a new one? Where?

best to you, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:32 pm 

Yep how can we activate Pro version for people that already have an APG and KRpano licence ?

See u at Photokina ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:34 pm 

vincen wrote:
Yep how can we activate Pro version for people that already have an APG and KRpano licence ?

See u at Photokina ;)

does that mean we have to wait until then? :cool:

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:37 pm 

Using our reg.key i get this message:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:52 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Could you please enlighten me: we have an unlimited license - but its´s not accepted.

AlexanderJ wrote:
As this software is no more part of the Autopano Giga suite, it has its own key. Check on [THE WEBSITE - AVAILABLE MONDAY PROBABLY] to generate your panotour (pro) key from your APG key and krpano licence.

it seems that the website is not available yet, we must wait to monday to have the pro key:(

Last edited by wlidha on Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:54 pm 

Good Lord . . . i put just 2 equis in - and it´s terribly slow playing the "tour" from disk.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:55 pm 

wlidha wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Alexander-J wrote:

it seems that the website is not available yet, we must wait to monday to have the pro key:(

oops - i oversaw that. Thanks for the advice!

best to you, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:34 pm 

klausesser wrote:

Perhaps the page to convert existing APG + KRPano licences to PanoTour Pro licence will be avalaible on new website announced for tuesday ;)

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 pm 

vincen wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Perhaps the page to convert existing APG + KRPano licences to PanoTour Pro licence will be avalaible on new website announced for tuesday ;)

Vince

Good! :cool: thought to have missed something . .

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:53 pm 

btw.: the new design is cute! I like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:12 am 

klausesser wrote:
btw.: the new design is cute! I like it!

I'm really NOT keen on these currently fashionable black-and-grey UI styles. They fly in the face of all useability standards. I find that there's just not enough contrast between background and text for easy readability.

I suppose this may be the current Adobe UI style? - I don't know as I own no recent Adobe product - but if so why ape Adobe's abuse of well established Windows/Apple/Linux UI standards?

'Cute' doesn't cut it for me; I prefer useable.

Sadly, there appears to be no alternative style nor any means for the user to customise/change it.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:21 am 

mediavets wrote:
I suppose this may be the current Adobe UI style? - I don't know as I own no recent Adobe product - but if so why ape Adobe's abuse of well established Windows/Apple/Linux UI standards?

'Cute' doesn't cut it for me; I prefer useable.

Well besides of being cute :cool: it´s very comfortable for the eyes imho. I often work for 16-18 hours a day several days sitting in front of the screen - and those dimmed brightness i welcome very much.
I use that look in my applications wherever i can: Cinema4D, Maya, Lightroom, Combustion (Autodesk), Logic, Protools and some.

You´re right in terms of some text colors. I´d prefer it being customizable - as it is in most professional applications.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 am 

Hello,
very nice, especially the help button, but i miss some things like
a sound on/off button in the sound plugins, the thumbnail view should have some more designs to choose, also multilevel maps and more themes in the appearence plugin.
Is there a plan to include a skin editor like in pano2vr, or any plugin to place individually graphic elements in the tour ?
At the moment i must do this in xml coding, not very comfortable.
I think this is a mayor feature for a virtual tour software today.

Best Michael

Last edited by micha22 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:52 am 

micha22 wrote:
Hello,

Welcome to the forum, Michael...
Quote:
very nice, especially the help button,

Yes, I am so pleased to have the Help/Info button as well as the Splash panel.
Quote:
but i miss some things like a sound on/off button in the sound plugins,

I agree - I would also like what could be called a Sound hotspot as this would enable us to have a relatively simple, intuitive and coherent way to implement directional sound.
Player controls for video would be nice too.
Quote:
the thumbnail view should have some more designs to choose,

Yes, sadly there appears to have been been no improvement in the already rather weak/limited thumbnail feature. I feel that this is rapidly becoming the major weakness of Panotour.
Quote:
also multilevel maps

That would be nice, and very relevant for VTs of properties, but I'm not sure how one would implement it in the current UI.
Quote:
and more themes in the appearence plugin.

I imagine one can make new ones? A market opportunity for those who like coding and graphics work?
Quote:
Is there a plan to include a skin editor like in pano2vr, or any plugin to place individually graphic elements in the tour ? At the moment i must do this in xml coding, not very comfortable. I think this is a major feature for a virtual tour software today.

Not sure I understand what you mean - can you show us an example?

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 pm 

Using the PanotourPro Beta to generate content for the iPhone causes a message: "no pictures for iPhone/iPad available"

But of course i generated pictures for that. I used a cubesize of 1024px and cutting of "0".

What´s wrong with that?

best, Klaus

P.S.: opening in Safari tells "fatal licensing error".

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 pm 

Hello ,
i mean some fix or adjustable themes for web interface like tourweaver in which is a window for the panorama, the thumbnails, a description, etc. all include in the flash window.
I have read that in Pro version, it should available.
Best micha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:47 am 

micha22 wrote:
Hello ,
i mean some fix or adjustable themes for web interface like tourweaver in which is a window for the panorama, the thumbnails, a description, etc. all include in the flash window.
I have read that in Pro version, it should available.
Best micha

I think this may be a different use of the term 'themes' - I don't believe there are any plans to emulate the style of the Tourweaver tours interface if you are refering to the sort 'web interface' shown in my screenshot below from this Tourweaver authored VT (not mine)?:
http://vabq.com/9705DesertMountainNE/TourWeaver_9705DesertMountainNE.html

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:12 pm 

Hi Klauss,
how were you able to access the "Mobile devices compatibility" check box?
I thought PTP's registration number were not going to be available until next Monday?

Thanks in advance,
E.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 am 

AlexandreJ wrote:
Registration process

No more krpano licence is asked in the software, we generate our own krpano licence.

To sum up:
* APG users will get a Panotour key
* APG users having a krpano (unlimited domains) licence will get a Panotour Pro key

Alexandre,

I am a little confused.

You say:
"No more krpano licence is asked in the software, we generate our own krpano licence."

If in future - after the separation - a user purchases a Panotour Pro key will this also somehow act as a krpano licence so that the user also gets access to krpano tools?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:35 am 

klausesser wrote:
Using the PanotourPro Beta to generate content for the iPhone causes a message: "no pictures for iPhone/iPad available"

But of course i generated pictures for that. I used a cubesize of 1024px and cutting of "0".

What´s wrong with that?

best, Klaus

P.S.: opening in Safari tells "fatal licensing error".

How do you generate content for iPhone/iPad as you are not registred?
The help button beside the "Mobile devices compatibility" check box states clearly :"You need to be registred to use this feature", and it should be disabled. What's more you only need to check this box and it does all the necessary stuff for mobile devices export.
So, no iPhone/iPad compatibility until the registration key update site is out, which should be today or tomorrow. Until then the demo version should allow you to use all the other features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:38 am 

mediavets wrote:
I am a little confused.

You say:
"No more krpano licence is asked in the software, we generate our own krpano licence."

If in future - after the separation - a user purchases a Panotour Pro key will this also somehow act as a krpano licence so that the user also gets access to krpano tools?

For the moment we don't plan to generate an external krpano licence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 am 

Adrien F wrote:
mediavets wrote:
I am a little confused.

You say:

For the moment we don't plan to generate an external krpano licence.

Then perhaps it would be more accurate to say that you will be generating a Panotour licence key? Or to say that Panotour incorporates a licence for the krpano player/viewer - but not for the krpano tools? Because one would expect a 'krpano licence' key to enable access to krpano tools as well as the playet/viewer.

Careful and precise use of words is important if you wish to avoid user confusion and potential user disappointment and criticism.

From the Panotour Pro user's perspective this doesn't appear to be a progressive development; unless there will be a HUGE cost saving compared to the past cost structure.

I feel that it would be better if the Panotour Pro licence also covered (provided access to) the krpano tools. Then Panotour Pro would be equivalent in functionality to APT+krpano licence, which is what it appears to replace.

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:20 pm 

As far as I'm ware Panotour adn Panotour Pro (PT/PTP) can now handle the following types of imput image:

1. Equirectangular panoramic spherical projections.

2. Partial panoramic spherical projections.

3. Cube faces derived from equirectangular panoramic spherical projections using third party software (APT/APG cannot currently generate cube faces) - a feature new to PTP and not found in APT.

4. Planar projection images.

But at present Panotour doesn't handle:

1. Cylindrical projection 360 or partial panoramaic images, although I believe krpano can handle cylindrical projection images, and of course APT/APG can create them (and Pano2VR can handle these too).

2. Any other sort of projection applied to a panoramic image.

3. Image strips and so on, such as can be created (and handled) by Pano2VR ("Pano2VR supports cylindrical, spherical (equirectangular), cube faces, cross, T, strip and QuickTime VR as input formats with the added ability to convert between these formats for retouching the cube faces.").

Are these lists correct and complete?

APP and APG create a custom EXIF tag when outputing stitched panos, in formats that support EXIF, which provides data about the pano image including pano FOV and vertical offset.

If this custom EXIF tag is found by APT/PTP then it is used to set the pano Input FOV values which are the key to the correct display of the partial pano image when generating a Flash virtual tour.

However most image editing programs remove the custom EXIF tag so that if any post-processing is performed between stitching and use of the panio image as input to APT/APT, a common scenerio, then APT/PTP will no longer find the Pano Input FOV data and these values will default to those for a 360x180 spherical image which will of course be incorrect for any other sort of panoramic image.

This has been a issue from the outset but because APT was only available bundled with APG it could be considered 'excusable' because APG did create the custom EXIF tag, even if it may be removed by third party image editing software, so if the user made a note of it before post-processing the pano they could still manually enter the correct pano Input FOV values in APT.

Now that Panotour is to be a separate product and can accept cube faces as input it's far more likely that some users will be using stitching software other than APP/APG to create their pano images for use in PTP.

How then will they ever be able to handle partial panos because they will not have the pano input FOV data required to handle such panos properly in PTP?

PTP will alert the user to the fact that pano Input FOV data has not been found (see screenshot - quite why it came up with that horizontal FOV value, which is quite wrong, I don't know) but how is the user supposed to determine what the correct values should be?

As far as I can see the only safe and relaible way to handle partial panos in PTP will be always to create 360x180 spherical projections of a partial pano - despite the fact that the image does not cover 360x180 - and then use the PTP Hotspot Editor crop tool on the pano after import into PTP.

Or is there another way?

I should point out that this issue - determining the FOV of a partial pano input image - is not unique to APT/PTP. You have to enter the Horizontal FOV value manually for partial panos with Pano2VR too; but the program appears to calculate the Vertical FOV once given the Horizontal FOV - I guess APT/PTO could (be made to) do that too?

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.