Release notification  

Archive of all bug reports prior to 2011.
no avatar
jespersen

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Release notification

by jespersen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:06 am

Would it be possible to make an email list for those who are interested only in when a new release (alpha, beta or final) is out?

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by vincen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 am

Just follow AutoPano twitter account ;) http://www.twitter.com/autopano
Blog: http://www.skivr.com
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

no avatar
SimDC

Info

by SimDC » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 pm

Preparing the 4st Autopano User Meeting ????????
4th meeting ?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:43 pm

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:43 pm

BTW : the autopano tweeter talks more than just doing release notification

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 pm

Even if I must say that I didn't tweet a lot during the last 2 months :)

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:19 pm

Well that's a lot more still, as release notifications are rare :)
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
foundation

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by foundation » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:53 pm

The twitter account doesn't seem to announce alpha/beta realeases. I keep checking this site everyday in hopes of a new 2.5alpha :) Of course I have a rss feed in google reader with topic names as well

no avatar
SimDC

Info

by SimDC » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:28 pm

"Preparing the 4st Autopano User Meeting" ????????
4th meeting ?

C'etait juste pour une question d'orthographe anglaise, Alexandre ;-)
- 4th pour 4st -

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:43 am

Oh my god ! Yes, I didn't read myself ...

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:55 am

AlexandreJ wrote:Oh my god ! Yes, I didn't read myself ...

you work too much :D but you can continue to work too much, we'll get betas quicker lol :P:lol::cool:
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

no avatar
Panorama

Info

by Panorama » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:43 am

It is nice to know that twitter account exist and nice to know that when you use autopano online the software suggest itself to download an update.

However, I agree with the question of jespersen.
Twitter is a nice but generally speaking many infos inside twitter may be of second priority or linked to promotion.
Being online is not the case of everybody either.

As a registed user of autopano 1, when autopano 2 arrived I have received a mail about it.
Why not continue with this for next updates if people ask for it ?

I have read a study that states that 80% of the current mail around the world are spam.
If we are happy to receive a mail from autopano team in our mail box only for availability of updates, it is because we trust that autopano team will write to us without spam.

Panorama
Last edited by Panorama on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jespersen

Topic author
Info

by jespersen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:45 pm

I see that "Panorama" has described my sentiments better than myself - thanks!
I try to avoid twitter, facebook and similar sites - each week there is another "indispensable" social network on the market :rolleyes:
When I'm out taking pictures :)
Let's hope that we can some day apply for a simple old-fashioned "alpha,betta,final" newsletter or similar....

All the best,
jespersen

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am

Our current release notification scheme is the following :
- Any major final release are announced by email using our autopano newsletter. It's also announced via twitter and on the forum.
- For minor release, we don' do the newsletter. It's posted on the forum and on twitter. Note : the software itself checks every week for new releases and it will propose the update too ( with at most one week delay ).
- Any beta release, public alpha, everything not Final is only announced by twitter and on the forum.

Does that match your expectation ?

no avatar
jespersen

Topic author
Info

by jespersen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks for the reply. Although I certainly see that there is a lot of information inTwitter, newsletter and the build-in software check it is still not perfect for me to be honest :rolleyes:. Obviously the build-in updater is the most convenient and important but I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who's very very interested in when for example the next alpha or beta version if the 2.5 software is ready - we really look forward to every single improvement! :). The first alpha version unfortunately only worked so much that I could see all the potential before it crashed :(

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:27 am

If you're so interested, maybe you should follow the Announcements forum, where new topics are posted very rarely (compared to twitter). The users with interest in active development are all frequent forumers, I can assure you of that.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
jespersen

Topic author
Info

by jespersen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 am

I guess that is the way it must be done then...:|

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Some idea we had that could be done : A newsletter inside the software. Each time, you launch it, the software check for the latest news and display that as an embedded html. Like a tip of the day : news of the day :)

no avatar
jespersen

Topic author
Info

by jespersen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Now that's a quite nice idea - I have a QNAP NAS drive that does exactly that - shows the latest news when I open the program. Thanks for the idea - but I guess you are busy with ton's of other stuff....

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:32 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Some idea we had that could be done : A newsletter inside the software. Each time, you launch it, the software check for the latest news and display that as an embedded html. Like a tip of the day : news of the day :)

Might be a good idea but first finish APG 2.5 :D:lol::P

no avatar
Panorama

Info

by Panorama » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:23 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Our current release notification scheme is the following :
- Any major final release are announced by email using our autopano newsletter. It's also announced via twitter and on the forum.
- For minor release, we don' do the newsletter. It's posted on the forum and on twitter. Note : the software itself checks every week for new releases and it will propose the update too ( with at most one week delay ).
- Any beta release, public alpha, everything not Final is only announced by twitter and on the forum.

Does that match your expectation ?

I think some people use autopano offline. Internet and safety are two different stuff, computer performance and antivirus are also 2 different stuff.

I doesn't mean that we donnot have a mail box to receive important news, it is just that autopano is on a computer that doesn't have internet connection and we do not want to change this.

In the same time, we may look for time to time so see what in twitter but not regulary.

So what I would appreciate is that for those who would like it, it is possible to receive information about any minor release through a basic mail.

Currently about 2 time a week i connect to autopano website or twitter to see if there is an update. Only to see if there is minor update. I really would like to stop doing this and receive a small mail when there is anything new to download.

I would leave twitter and the website for the beta version but this may be chosen from a user perspective.

This is not urgent but I really would appreciate it to happen one day.

cheers,

Panorama

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:27 pm

You can also just subscribe at Announcements section of forum so you'll automatically receive a email when a new release or beta is avalaible ;)

no avatar
Panorama

Info

by Panorama » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:33 am

vincen wrote:You can also just subscribe at Announcements section of forum so you'll automatically receive a email when a new release or beta is avalaible ;)

What's the procedure to do that ? :/ I have seen the Announcements section but how can i subscribe to it (receive a mail when there is a new Announcement) ?

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Info

by vincen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:39 am

Panorama wrote:
vincen wrote:You can also just subscribe at Announcements section of forum so you'll automatically receive a email when a new release or beta is avalaible ;)

What's the procedure to do that ? :/ I have seen the Announcements section but how can i subscribe to it (receive a mail when there is a new Announcement) ?

Oups :( all my mistake, made a confusion with an other forum ! You can't subscribe at a specific section of forum ! You can only subscribe at a thread but as announcement are made each time in a new thread, it's not a solution ! You can also use Newest posts RSS feed but announcement will be in the middle of all posts of forum :(

Sorry for that !

Vincèn

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:50 am

Perhaps Kolor will add a sticky thread that only administrators can write to, and tell us there's something interesting happening.

Next