[APG 2.5RC2 WinXP/32] Problem image set  

Archive of all bug reports. This forum is closed - you cannot create new topics or comments here! If you think a specific topic was moved here by mistake, please contact the moderators!
no avatar
mediavets

[APG 2.5RC2 WinXP/32] Problem image set

by mediavets » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:34 pm

I like to try and stitch image sets that others present as challenging.

This set of seven was supposedly shot with a Nikon D3X witha Samyang 14mm WA rectilinear lens. In an irregularly spaced single row.
http://www.chocolatehouse.pl/samplepanoforum.rar

The only way I can get APG 2.5RC2 to give me a decent stitch is to treat the images as if they were fullframe fisheye images, with Detection quality set to High, which doesn't make sense to me.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hankkarl

by hankkarl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:08 pm

What counts as "decent"? I got RMS under 6, but some images were severely warped.

Note that APP sees the lens as 12mm, not 14.

Did a detection for 12mm rectangular lens, detection quality set to high. Image 1 linked to both 6 and 7 but not 2. Cleared the link from 1 to 6, added link from 1 to 2, optimized, set multiple viewpoints on and reoptimized.

APP seems to have issues with very wide rectilinear lenses, or perhaps wide rectilinear lenses distort the image to make it rectilinear, and APP "undistorts" it, then optimizes it.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:49 pm

hankkarl wrote:APP seems to have issues with very wide rectilinear lenses, or perhaps wide rectilinear lenses distort the image to make it rectilinear, and APP "undistorts" it, then optimizes it.

Yes, I agree, APP/APG does seem to struggle bit with wide angle rectilinear lenses. I have read that such lenses tend to exhibit quite complex distortions.

Perhaps Alexandre can comment on that?

FWIW several PTGui users claimed they were able to stitch those images and didn't observe/report that it was that much of a challenge.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:46 am

Really short rectilinear focal length can be a bit more complicated to detect ( not to optimize in fact ).
So, one solution that works quite well is to use ransac model 'homography' when having short focal length rectilinear lenses. It works better in detection.
The rest ( meaning lens model, optimization ) is working great.

Issue 539 opened ( to check the case and confirm the above hypothesis )

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:18 pm

I cannot access these images => download error.

Return to Archive