Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:39 pm 

AGP 2.5b2 W7 64
I used the import gigapan import filter for the EV +0 exposure bracket of a 4 rows x 22 cols with 30% overlap and a row down pattern. I captured the photos with a 5D Mark II and a Mamiya 645 150mm f3.5 lens using an adapter so I changed the focal length of the photographs from the previous lens setting of 50mm to 150mm. APG 2.5b2 on W7 64 bit is yielding a very poor result. I have realized good results using this same equipment and the beta 1 which I no longer have installed. APG 2.0.9 yields a better result.

I also stitched the EV0 exposure bracket using the Microsoft ICE structured mode and the Gigapan Stitcher software without vignetting adjustment which it clearly needs. The results left to right and top to bottom are: Microsoft ICE, APG 2.5b2, Gigapan Stitch, APG 2.0.9

EDIT: I also added a stitch without an import filter by Ptgui 9.0 beta 2. There is a image of the sky that was not automatically placed that is not shown. At the end of the bridge a manual alignment correction is needed for a building and the entire panorama needs leveling. I am including these different stitches for a comparison of where things are at. I do not intend to aggravate any person with other stitcher brands. I just am offering this as a comparison along with the bug report.

Last edited by Castillonis on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:12 am 

Castillonis,

Thanks for sharing, your findings are very similar to my own, I am currently waiting for the 2.5 to hit prime time, as I am not able to get successful stitches with B1 nor B2. I am at the moment finding that PTGui is giving me the best results, with the least compromise.
In your case, adding the last image with manual control points is a 1 min job, pull the pano down in the middle and you have a strait pano, drag the edges in and you have what looks to be the better pano of the 5 applications, in terms of blending and stitch.

I am yet to present my own findings, and hoping that in between doing so my new computer will come to the rescue in terms of the time it takes to process this. but my experience is basically the same as yours.

thanks

Henrik

PS: most pano's are bracket for HDR, and I am starting to add focus stacking - its turning into a nightmare sorting this stuff out - but I do have a lot of fun doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 am 
Administrator

Can you make a test with the same image sets but without using gigapan import filter ?

BTW : I don't really know if you are talking about stitching quality or color correction quality. Because with that sample, obviously, it's not really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm 

1. Alexander, I was discussing the quality of alignment of the individual photographs into a panorama, but I now understand that it is not just the alignment but post processing ( color, levels, etc ) as well. I have not spent enough time to carefully examine the results and maybe I should have waited to post this until I had examined it more thoroughly.
2. The white balance is set too low at about 2600 kelvin as a compromise between low pressure sodium 2100 kelvin and tungsten 3400 kelvin. I did not reprocess these photographs because the series of filenames was at a IMG_9999 to IMG_0000 border.
3. Stitching ( alignment ) of the images without the gigapan import filter produces much better alignment, but the post processing ( color, levels etc ) introducing non ideal results. I believe that the change occurred between 2.5 beta 1 and 2.5 beta 2. I was not experiencing this problem with beta 1. Would it be possible for me to have 2.5 beta 1 and 2.5 beta 2 installed at the same time to make comparisons? I currently have APG 2.0.9 and APG 2.5 beta 2 installed. NOTE: An additional bug in APG 2.5b2 is that the editor window displays an incorrect zoom level. On the left the magnification for beta 2 is 115% and beta 1 the magnification is 12.99%.
4. I have included a screen shot of another panorama that includes three exposure brackets at night using a 100mm Zeiss Makro to demonstrate that I am able to get useable results from another image set.

Last edited by Castillonis on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:03 pm 

Might this be relevant?:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p72046-today-13-43-12#p72046

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:18 pm 

I just stitched another view from the north with two exposure brackets using a Nikon and a Zeiss 100mm macro using APG 2.5 beta 2. When I included both brackets the edit window showed a normal preview. When I removed the bracket for the windows and highlights so that only one exposure bracket remained, the edit window displayed the grey haze issue that is observed in the image taken from the south that started this bug report. If I attempt to stitch the mostly dark photos of the highlighted windows APG will crash ( I expected this because the SIFT and Ransac will fail for very dark or bright photos ).

So, to reiterate eliminating the second darker bracket causes the panorama to exhibit the grey haze.

MediaVet, The thread you referenced is comparing the edit window result to the actual render of an image and parameters that are used by by the blending algorithm which operates on the region of the images where they overlap. This problem is observed in the edit window before rendering. So, there is some blending being applied to the images in the edit window, but I am not sure if I can change this parameter or if it is the problem.

Last edited by Castillonis on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:39 pm 

OK - check your Color Correction settings.

This is the default setting that Alexandre recommended:

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:37 pm 

I am thinking that if I eliminate the gamma adjustment that the grey mess will be eliminated. I cannot make much of a curves adjustment without causing haze. I think that I need to open up the aperture in the future to reduce lens flare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:57 pm 
Administrator

Castillonis wrote:
3. Stitching ( alignment ) of the images without the gigapan import filter produces much better alignment, but the post processing ( color, levels etc ) introducing non ideal results. I believe that the change occurred between 2.5 beta 1 and 2.5 beta 2. I was not experiencing this problem with beta 1. Would it be possible for me to have 2.5 beta 1 and 2.5 beta 2 installed at the same time to make comparisons? I currently have APG 2.0.9 and APG 2.5 beta 2 installed. NOTE: An additional bug in APG 2.5b2 is that the editor window displays an incorrect zoom level. On the left the magnification for beta 2 is 115% and beta 1 the magnification is 12.99%.

2.5 beta 1 and beta 2 are using the same preferences files. Moreover, it shares different color models. This will definitively leads to big issues and probably crashes.

The zoom depends also on the mode : in GPU, 100% means 100% of the size of final panorama. In CPU mode, 100% means 100% of the preview size. That may explain this difference.

I'm interested into this test case. I want to try to reproduce the issue with the gigapan import tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:44 am 

OK, do I search the forum for instructions on how to upload these 16 bit TIFF image files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:09 am 

Castillonis wrote:
OK, do I search the forum for instructions on how to upload these 16 bit TIFF image files?

http://www.autopano.net/forum/t766-ftp-server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:39 am 
Administrator

Thanks mediavets. I always forgot to add that information :)