Autopano Engine v2.5 Beta 2 changelog  

Archive of all bug reports. This forum is closed - you cannot create new topics or comments here! If you think a specific topic was moved here by mistake, please contact the moderators!
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Autopano Engine v2.5 Beta 2 changelog

by AlexandreJ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi everybody,

We are really happy with this new beta 2 release. A lot of work have been done and quite every standard stitching job are now working nice without any crash.
Nevertheless, there are still some areas that will need attention ( HDR output, Exposure fusion preview for example ).
We are not far from RC release and then final.

Changelog :

Papywizard improvements

The papywizard import wizard has been really improved :
- stack integration in the case you do bracketing ( nice feature ! ). It reads the bracket from the XML file and you'll get automatically several layers in the final panorama ( one for each exposure ). You have access to stacks setting directly in the plugin.
- preview issue solved ( some time there were no preview )
- exif transfer : if no exif detected in the images, I use the exif stored in the XML file everywhere in the software ( you'll see that in the group, focal is always present there ).
- some UI crash solved in the plugins

Color correction

I wasn't satisfied with the new system that should be better but in fact didn't really work that much better.
So, I didn't to be get back the old possibilies but with the new name.
You now have access to Gamma correction, exposure correction and color correction.
It's nice to play with this system. I like it better than the one in beta 1.

Stack support improvements

You won't see anymore the BKT symbol, but a small rectangle with the number of images in that stack.
The create 'stack by N' has been improved.
Select all images in a group, right click and hit 'create Stack by N'.
You have 2 cursours there : the N of course to say how many image should be regrouped to create a stack.
But also have the master image index ( if you don't want the first image to be the stack level 0). When doing manual bracketing on several level ( 5, 7, 9, or 11 ), the first image is often the dark one. In this case, it's really better to say the reference image is the middle one ( index 3 for 5 images ).
The detection will work better.
BTW : you can call the 'Create stack by N' on already created stack just to adjust this level 0 index, it will work.

Software resources improvement

With the new interface which is too dark to some people, we decided to revamp a little the way all our software are
handling external ressources ( like Icons / styles / templates, etc ).
There were several goals and constrains in this revamp :
- Users should be able to create easily their style for the software
- When a new version of the software is released, the user style should not be lost
- Some datas created by the user does just exists for the user ( for example, stitching templates for Autopano Giga, or dedicated html template for PanoTour )

That's why we came up with a solution that is working this way. Every modifiable ressources are stored in a folder that is writable by the user.

windows XP : %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Kolor\___APPLICATION_NAME___\
vista / 7 : %LOCALAPPDATA%\Kolor\___APPLICATION_NAME___\
Mac : $HOME/Library/Application Support/Kolor/__APPLICATION_NAME__/
Linux : $USER/.local/share/data/Kolor/___APPLICATION_NAME___/

__APPLICATION_NAME__ can be AutopanoPro_250B2 or PanoTour Pro 150B2, etc.

In this folder, you'll find 2 folders with an identical hierarchie. One folder is called Kolor and one is called User.
All files that are in Kolor folder is solely done by Kolor team. They will be overwritten at each new version.
Files in User folder are user modifications. They will never be erased by any new version.

Then, we'll have a resource rule in all products : if we need a file, the first that will used is the one in the User folder.
If it doesn't exist, the software will try to load the file in the Kolor folder ( If it doesn't exist in this folder,
we'll recreate it ).

This rule is nice because, you can modify the software with your own resources without the risk of loosing them at each new versions.
Example with Autopano Giga.
- You need to add support for a new camera. Just copy the cameras.txt from the Kolor/Data folder to User/Data folder.
- Modify it
- Launch autopano again and it will use the new cameras.txt
- If you install a new version of the software, your version will not be lost.
Nevertheless, be aware that Kolor could have added all new cameras in the new cameras.txt provided making your modification obsolete.
So, this system is not magical, it won't merge both files together.

For Panotour, we don't have yet this 2 folders system, as everything is only in one folder.
We'll rely on the fact that the files are protected or not to make the software update. If a template is not anymore write protected,
it will mean that it has been modified by the user and we won't overwrite it.

Notes :

Autopano Pro / Autopano Giga hierarchie :

Kolor/
|- Data
|- Sound
|- Translation
|- UI
|-- cursors
User/
|- Data
|- Sound
|- Translation
|- UI
|-- cursors

Data => you have access to cameras.txt / lensid.txt files ( if you want to add manually a new camera )
Sound => the end of rendering sound
Translation => software translations
UI => everything about software style ( icones, qss )

So if you to modify for example the style, just copy the right .qss file from Kolor/UI hierarchy to User/UI hierarchy and
modify it.

Panotour / Panotour Pro hierarchie :

Kolor/
|- Templates
|- Translation
|- UI

Templates => Template used by PT for customizing outputs with xml script
Translation => software translations
UI => everything about software style ( icones, qss )

We will soon propose some packages in ZIP format that will add some new features directly in this folder structure.
- Autopano Pro / Giga => a little grey UI style
- Panotour Pro => a menu style with old icons
You will just need to extract these packages in the userdata folder to get the new feature.

Free croissant :)

In the main windows :
- Double click on an empty zone in the group view
- Do the same on the panorama columns

Bug fixes

This release is really about that. The full fixed list is below.

- 0000282: [Synapse ( detection )] group creation : si 500 en groupe goal => 4 images, si 10 => toutes les images - resolved.
- 0000193: [Editor] Big project color optimisation issue - resolved.
- 0000313: [Editor] Freeze dans l'éditeur de panorama - resolved.
- 0000302: [Cortex ( rendu )] Changement de ton avec l'anti-ghost - resolved.
- 0000335: [Cortex ( rendu )] Options de rendu sur les images / layers à  garder ne sont pas sauvées - resolved.
- 0000339: [Editor] Icon size in PE editor doesn't sticky - resolved.
- 0000271: [Image I/O] Stack, pouvoir définir l'image de base du stack - resolved.
- 0000343: [Editor] Progress bar in editor doesn't show the text - resolved.
- 0000091: [Editor] In the regroup by bracket, bad update of the layer editor - resolved.
- 0000344: [UI behavior] Layers and stack crash - resolved.
- 0000179: [Performance] Scheduling multithreading sur blending - resolved.
- 0000299: [UI behavior] Style sheet => les mettre dans user data - resolved.
- 0000303: [Editor] Crash placement manuel point de control MAC - resolved.
- 0000309: [Editor] Cancel over geometric analysis don't work - resolved.
- 0000305: [Editor] Advisor improvement needed when presence of stacks - resolved.
- 0000304: [Neurone ( optimisation )] Open old .pano - resolved.
- 0000308: [Neurone ( optimisation )] click on the "optimize by layers" will check that at least one yellow anchor per layer is present - resolved.
- 0000292: [Editor] Clean RMS pas pareil que 2.0.9 - resolved.
- 0000314: [Editor] BKT icon over stack => the number of images in that stack - resolved.
- 0000248: [Import plugins] crash on import Gigapan under mac - resolved.
- 0000169: [Cortex ( rendu )] Switch automatique entre PSD et PSD si pano devient gros. Apparement, ca marche plus. - resolved.
- 0000298: [Performance] Temporary folder switch rule to improve - resolved.
- 0000290: [Editor] Changer la couleur du RMS dans l'editeur de point de controle - resolved.
- 0000293: [Image I/O] TIFF reading is really slow - resolved.
- 0000242: [Unclassified] crash with plugin haze on nef pictures - resolved.
- 0000291: [Cortex ( rendu )] Gamma correction not apply in the rendering - resolved.
- 0000276: [Synapse ( detection )] MAC versus Windows detection differences - resolved.
- 0000237: [UI behavior] fusion widget has no name ("form") - resolved.
- 0000258: [Unclassified] plugin open lens options and crash - resolved.
- 0000268: [Synapse ( detection )] crash en arretant la detection en cours - resolved.
- 0000285: [Synapse ( detection )] Mode template cassé - resolved.
- 0000240: [Editor] Ctrl key in control point not always works - resolved.
- 0000284: [Neurone ( optimisation )] Color correction is still not as good as in v2.0.* - resolved.
- 0000289: [Editor] In layer editor, button image properties => crash - resolved.
- 0000239: [UI behavior] general render settings not saved - resolved.
- 0000153: [Editor] Crash en utilisant le bouton addimage dans le layer editor - resolved.
- 0000262: [Import plugins] plugins entrée => crash après l'import des images - resolved.
- 0000272: [Performance] number of thread not used in detection phase - resolved.
- 0000270: [Import plugins] papywizard : si on selectionne les images, puis le xml => status finished ne marche pas - resolved.
- 0000251: [UI behavior] "force every image..." is not saved when close general settings - resolved.
- 0000238: [Editor] crash when adding new picture in editor window - resolved.
- 0000235: [Editor] crash when use the center point tool in GPU mode - resolved.
- 0000243: [Import plugins] papy wisard import issues to test - resolved.
- 0000135: [Import plugins] papywizard crash - resolved.
- 0000266: [Import plugins] Papywizard, skip optimization doesn't locate image - resolved.
- 0000265: [UI behavior] Fenetre de rendu, update du dpi ne change pas la taille zone de print - resolved.
- 0000233: [Performance] openmp threading issue with critical part between findpanorama and stitching cut - resolved.
- 0000127: [Editor] crash au changement d'ancre - resolved.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:51 pm

no avatar
hermer-blr

by hermer-blr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:41 pm

A few comments after downloading the beta2 version of APG (Windows 32) and starting to fiddle with it:

- French language has desappeared - only english available

- The .pano file that I had generated Yesterday (Beta 1) with RMS 1.3 opened (Beta 2) with RMS 73 and only two images visible on the screen (all the images of the pano were, I think, superimposed behind those two) - Hopefully, I just launched a full optimization to get back to my pano and 1.3 RMS

- LDR color correction does not work when "adjust all exposure and gamma" is ticked : the panorama appears grey - Only, locally, near the reference image(s), does it appear a little - when I tick adjust all gamma or all exposure or all exposure and color tone, it works

- White and black point setting do not work.

- Rendering is faster: twice ! impressive !

- Rendering result is different (anti-ghost option checked) from what it was with beta 1 : The ghost I had with beta 1 is not at the same place with beta 2 - Note that, in this specific panorama, there is an unresolvable ghost issue (to remove a ghost, you need one of the images with no ghost at the location of the ghost)
Last edited by hermer-blr on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:51 am

hermer-blr wrote:- French language has desappeared - only english available

Probably due to the new resource management system. We'll check that.

hermer-blr wrote:- The .pano file that I had generated Yesterday (Beta 1) with RMS 1.3 opened (Beta 2) with RMS 73 and only two images visible on the screen (all the images of the pano were, I think, superimposed behind those two) - Hopefully, I just launched a full optimization to get back to my pano and 1.3 RMS

That's a confirmed issue in beta 1 in fact. The .pano generated in beta 1 was wrong. I don't know if it will be possible to read it back.
Try to optimize again, hopefully, it will work.

hermer-blr wrote:- LDR color correction does not work when "adjust all exposure and gamma" is ticked : the panorama appears grey - Only, locally, near the reference image(s), does it appear a little - when I tick adjust all gamma or all exposure or all exposure and color tone, it works

Issue 358 opened

hermer-blr wrote:- White and black point setting do not work.

Issue 359 opened

hermer-blr wrote:- Rendering result is different (anti-ghost option checked) from what it was with beta 1 : The ghost I had with beta 1 is not at the same place with beta 2 - Note that, in this specific panorama, there is an unresolvable ghost issue (to remove a ghost, you need one of the images with no ghost at the location of the ghost)

We cannot be sure that the ghost removal will do exactly the same job between the version. It should do a better job with this one compared with beta 1. There will be minor adjustment to this algorithm along all versions.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 am

Note : for bug report, I prefer, one thread one bug and not in this topic, please.

no avatar
hermer-blr

by hermer-blr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks for the answers - Sorry for the wrong location to post my report

Congratulations for this new release of Autopano. With APG 2.5 (especially since BETA 1), I am really very happy with this SWare. BETA 2 brought improved velocity. And the remaining issues do not impact on my present (and satisfactory) workflow.
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
Michael Ezra

by Michael Ezra » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:53 pm

Can beta 2 be installed side by side with beta 1?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm

No, beta 1 and beta 2 are sharing same settings. I would definitively advice you to just use beta 2 and both versions.

no avatar
nico3d

by nico3d » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:47 am

Alex, i just installed this beta 2, there are no more hang ups. yupiiii :)

A couple of questions....

1) there is no smartblend, only linear and multiband. is this correct?
2) i noticed i cannot drag and drop a set of photos into the autopano window to automatically become a group. Is this is a bug or you just removed the drag and drop feature?
3) i see no rendering preview...
Last edited by nico3d on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 am

nico3d wrote:1) there is no smartblend, only linear and multiband. is this correct?

Smartblend is in fact, anti-ghost technics with a multiband. It's now well named in the new engine ( and massively improved ).
See this posts about anti-ghost improvements : http://www.autopano.net/forum/t9719-4th-autopano-user-meeting-announcements

nico3d wrote:2) i noticed i cannot drag and drop a set of photos into the autopano window to automatically become a group. Is this is a bug or you just removed the drag and drop feature?

It works. But if the software wasn't launch with administrative privileges. This happens at the end of installation, so drag'n'drop doesn't work during this launch.

nico3d wrote:3) i see no rendering preview...

Removed for the moment.

no avatar
nico3d

by nico3d » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:03 am

all clear! this support from you is invaluable! i will loyaly stick to APP and APG :)

no avatar
bouscram

by bouscram » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:03 pm

We will soon propose some packages in ZIP format that will add some new features directly in this folder structure.
- Autopano Pro / Giga => a little grey UI style
- Panotour Pro => a menu style with old icons
You will just need to extract these packages in the userdata folder to get the new feature.

I'm happy of that and look forward to it. I really can't get used to the new UI which (I feel) is very aggressive.
This is caused by the primary colors (red/green) in the icons and also by the global contrast which is too high (I think the dark grey is too dark). There is exactly the same problem in Lightroom, which is very obvious when you compare to Aperture.

no avatar
Bmachine

by Bmachine » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 am

Of course, that is entirely a matter or personal preference.... Personally I like the new UI MUCH better. As an Aperture user, I really long for the LR UI colors...

But I think Alexandre said that this will (or maybe already is) soon be solved by offering user options for UI colors.

I work in the movie industry and all UIs are dark in order to let the final image "shine brightest" without distractions on the screen.
Last edited by Bmachine on Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27. OS 10.8.5. Aperture, APG, PS and Lightzone.
Nikon D600. Mostly handheld.

no avatar
Sigi

by Sigi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello Alexandre,

I just downloaded the beta but I do not see any "Ransac model" on the detection tab in preferences.
Has this been removed?

Siegfried
ttp://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2

no avatar
Ridgeback

by Ridgeback » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 pm

Well, try as I might, I cannot get the new advanced and "massively improved" rendering engine to produce smooth blends in my panoramas. These are panoramas I have already produced with v2.0.9, and the comparisons in V2.50 Beta 2 are not satisfactory. I have tinkered with the Advanced Settings but can still not produce anything as good as the plain old Smartblend of v2.0.9. What a shame! :(
Last edited by Ridgeback on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Sigi wrote:Hello Alexandre,

I just downloaded the beta but I do not see any "Ransac model" on the detection tab in preferences.
Has this been removed?

Siegfried

Errrr...is this what you seek?

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Ridgeback wrote:Well, try as I might, I cannot get the new advanced and "massively improved" rendering engine to produce smooth blends in my panoramas. These are panoramas I have already produced with v2.0.9, and the comparisons in V2.50 Beta 2 are not satisfactory. I have tinkered with the Advanced Settings but can still not produce anything as good as the plain old Smartblend of v2.0.9. What a shame! :(

It's a beta...some things are not yet perfected.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Sigi

by Sigi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

mediavets wrote:
Sigi wrote:Hello Alexandre,

Has this been removed?

Siegfried

Errrr...is this what you seek?

yes, but on the Mac I do not have that

Last edited by Sigi on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttp://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:58 am

Ransac model is an APG only feature. As it is really only useful with multiple viewpoint, it has been removed from APP interface.

no avatar
Ridgeback

by Ridgeback » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:28 am

It's a beta...some things are not yet perfected.

Thanks Andrew, I realise that. Perhaps I was just putting too much expectation in to Alexandre's comments at the top of this thread
"We are really happy with this new beta 2 release." & "We are not far from RC release and then final."

I'll await further developments as they occur, and I look forward to the final release - APP is one of my favourite pieces of software to use, so I won't be 'abandoning' it!
Last edited by Ridgeback on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Archive