Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:11 pm 

Hello Guys

I am thinking about the HDD-Settings for my new PC to improve Autopano as much as possible.

On Photokina i talked to a guy from Kolor who suggested to use one HDD for Autopano + die Final Output and one HDD for temporary work. Now i am not sure what might be a good idea, using an velociraptor or two SpinPoint HDD in Raid 0 Mode. I dont suppose that SSDs are realy usefull because of their write/read limitations + the price :)
What do you think is a good size for a HDD/Array only for Autopano + Photoshop temporary folders?

Regards Mehlsack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 pm 

I recently built a new system based around d 2 ssd drives (6GB sata bus versions) specifically for AP plus PS. AP is now super-fast. I use one drive as the OS and files to load drive, the other as a scratch drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 pm 

Well I'am using Raid0 matrix with two SpinPoints exactly as a Temp/Swap for APG and Photoshop.
It really makes big improvement in speed, specialy on Blending phase of APG Rendering.

I'm also sure that SDD will be even faster :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:07 pm 

wow, thats nice, would both of you be so kind and run some kind of HDD Benchmark?

I would suggest HDtune or something like that, maybe we can sort out how much difference there really is, esspecially because a raid 0 SpinPoint Array would be very costworthy (IF the speed is really increases in Raid 0 )

ATM
My Idea is 1x small SSD for OS, AP, PS
1x Velociraptor/Spinpoint scratchs HDD/SSD
1x Storage HDD 500GB-1TB for final files, and "trash" ;)

Last edited by Mehlsack on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:10 pm 

AS SDD of the scratch drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm 

Well ok, that realy nice.

Are they SLC oder MLC Drives? and how much were they a piece?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:49 pm 

mlc - around £500 a piece. However, if money is no object, you may want to look at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-064-OC&groupid=1657&catid=1660&subcat=1669

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:40 pm 

Was wondering if rather than a SSD as above, would a PCI-E based SSD be more beneficial if you have a slot available to use?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/revodrive.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:26 am 

Hi Mehlsack.

I am in the process of building a new workstation and will be using two OCZ Revodrives as OS and one for scratch disk, and then 6x 1TB as storage in RAID-0, if the Revodrive does not perform well as a scratch/temp disk, I will use the 6x 1TB in RAID-0 for temp/scratch and then rethink my storage options.

Option here is then to get another RAID card and build an other Array

In my mind, its the reading and writing to disk, that is the biggest bottleneck here

Thanks

Henrik

PS: I am hoping to get this up and running before xmas

Last edited by tived on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:12 pm 

This PCIe SSD is WTF, to say it clearly :S
700MB/s is Madness as a scratch disk.

Tived i think it would be great whether you can do some benchmarking to evaluate the performance of your system when its done.

I think i will invest in a new DSLR-Body this Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 am 

Mehlsack, have in mind that Autopano has to read the source files, blend them at the temp folder and then write the output. The fastest option is those three locations to be on the same physical drive, so no moving of data around occurs.

The idea to put the OS/apps on a SSD is great, the improvement in boot speeds is drastic. You can, in most cases, use the same drive for SYSTEM swap (not APP temp, mind you!). I, personally, would go for a RAID0 with Raptors and if the space is not enough - then with WD Black drives. And have separate non-raid drive for permanent storage (or maybe three drives in RAID5). So it breaks down like this (according to your budget):

- OS + applications + system swap => SSD
- pano sources + APP temp + render destination => RAID0 of Raptors or WD Blacks
- storage => WD Blacks in RAID for safety or single drive if it is enough, but set up a backup in all cases!

I also try very hard to ignore what Henrik is posting, as huge amounts of envy start to pile in my head :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:40 am 

I would like to add an additional aspect that in my opinion is really important to keep in mind when you're using a RAID-0 configuration is the RAM in the controller (64, 128, 256, 512MB) and the stripe size (4, 16, 32, 64, 128Kb).

I'm using a PERC 5i (256MB) controller in a RAID-0 configuration with 6 x 500GB 7200RPM WD, and the stripe size was changed from 64Kb (default value in most controllers) to
128Kb. That means a really poor performance handling small files, but, if you are using only big files you should keep this aspect in mind to increase the performance.

In my case, everything is located in the same drive (OS, APP Temp, CR2/TIFF images), and the virtual memory is disabled. The permanent storage is a different device.

The performance generating panoramas in this computer is awesome, however, I can't imagine how would be using SSD's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:26 am 

Mehlsack wrote:
This PCIe SSD is WTF, to say it clearly :S
700MB/s is Madness as a scratch disk.

Tived i think it would be great whether you can do some benchmarking to evaluate the performance of your system when its done.

I think i will invest in a new DSLR-Body this Winter

hi,

slowly getting most of the parts together, but i am having problems with the OCZ Revodrives. we r not able to get a successful install of win 7, we r getting BSOD stop: 0x00000124. there seem to be quiet a few people with problems like. if it does not ork out on monday, i will have to push them down the line and just use them as scratch/temp and then use a Crucial C300 for boot instead.

Bo, when i get it up and running, i will try and test which is better, SSD or HDD for temp/scratch

Henrik