Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 am 

I just installed 1.0.0.2.

On a toshiba, Vista 32 bit OS.

When I have the touch panel hooked up with the USB and load the program I get this message

Panorama.exe has stopped working. A problem has caused it to stop.

However, the program is loaded and you can set up lens data as long as you don't click to close the error message box.
It will send the profile to the touch pad.

Only the angle panorama will work properly.
On the Mosaic it will only fire the shutter for the top row.
On the Spherical the head will move vertically without stopping.

I have replaced the shutter release wire.
I have checked to make sure fisheye lens is not selected.
I have unistalled and reinstalled.

After doing all of this I tried to use the papywizzard instead. I can not get the bluetooth to work at all.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Dan - Panogear Complete Kit, Autopano Giga, Canon 10d, 500d, 18-55mm IS, Sigma 8mm, Bophoto, Roundshot 220vr, Widepan Pro II, Horizon 202, Speed, Super Speed & Crown Graphic, Super Ikonta C and other old folders. Toshiba Vista 32 bit

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes just might find you get what you need." (Stones '69)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 am 

foto1 wrote:
I just installed 1.0.0.2.

On a toshiba, Vista 32 bit OS.

Can't help you with the touch panel controller - I've never seen one.

However you can get weird movements if you get bright light 'leaking' through the base of the bubble level on the Merlin head and affecting the encoders that control positioning. To prevent this cover the base of the bubble level - from inside the battery compartment - with opaque sticky tape.

Quote:
After doing all of this I tried to use the Papywizard instead. I can not get the bluetooth to work at all.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Can maybe help with Papywizard.

What Bluetooth device are you using in your Toshiba laptop?

If a built-in Bluetooth feature then that's possibly the problem because Papywizard doesn't 'like' Toshiba's Bluetooth software drivers.

If you are using a generic USB Bluetooth device with standard Windows Bluetooth drivers then set up the pairing via the system and select a serial connection (and not Bluetooth) in Papywizard.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 am 

Thanks I will try the tape. THe bubble sits on top of opaque area. Where does the light get in?

Everything you said about using bluetooth is info that I have no experience with.

I have a Bluetooth USB Dongle. On the package it says Vista ready.
No where does it mention drivers or where to get them.

Where do I fnd the right driver and what do I do with it when I get it?

Thanks.

Dan - Panogear Complete Kit, Autopano Giga, Canon 10d, 500d, 18-55mm IS, Sigma 8mm, Bophoto, Roundshot 220vr, Widepan Pro II, Horizon 202, Speed, Super Speed & Crown Graphic, Super Ikonta C and other old folders. Toshiba Vista 32 bit

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes just might find you get what you need." (Stones '69)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:33 am 

I have blocked all light that could be getting into the head.

Still the shutter does not fire for Mosaic and Spherical.

I am traveling and left the battery charger at home.
I started with fresh Energizer max batteries. Does this make any diference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:48 am 

foto1 wrote:
I have a Bluetooth USB Dongle. On the package it says Vista ready.
No where does it mention drivers or where to get them.
Where do I fnd the right driver and what do I do with it when I get it?

If it's the Bluetooth USB dongle included in Panogear pack, don't worry, it'll install by itself automatically in Windows, as Windows already includes drivers for it :)

Vincèn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:59 am 

foto1 wrote:
I have blocked all light that could be getting into the head.

OK.

Quote:
Still the shutter does not fire for Mosaic and Spherical.

What camera do you have?

Are you using manual focus?

Which version of Papywizard are you using?

Quote:
I am traveling and left the battery charger at home.
I started with fresh Energizer max batteries. Does this make any diference?

So are you using regular AA alkaline batteries or AA NiMH rechargable batteries?

Or are you using the LiION batteries supplied with the Panogear package?

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:25 pm 

Pappywizard
It is the Dongle included in the Panogear pack.
Windows info popup bubble does not recognize it and Panogear does not either.

I installed
•Papywizard_2.0.0-1_Install.exe -- Windows installer

I am useing Eveready MAx Alkaline batt. I left the charger for the lith batt at home.

I am useing Canon 500D. Manual focus, Manual exposure.

Toshibia laptop, Vista 32.

Touch control
Touch control does not work on Mosaic or Spherical even with all light blocked to the head or in the dark with the room lights off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:37 pm 

Please, upgrade Papywizard to the latests dev release. It works better than the 2.0.0, and has many more features ;)

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:41 pm 

foto1 wrote:
Touch control
Touch control does not work on Mosaic or Spherical even with all light blocked to the head or in the dark with the room lights off.

Some minutes ago i phoned Josef and sent him the link to this thread - he´s going to respond quickly.

To clear some facts:
the touch controller doesn´t use BT. It´s to be plugged into the telephone-port of the Merlin - i´m sure you know that.
To shoot the camera you need a connection from the controller´s 3,5mm jack to the camera´s remote release.

Here´s the only way something might go wrong - if the connection broke or you use a wrong cable, the batteries are empty (they feed the TC) or
you forgot to switch on the head´s power . . ;):cool:

No other reasons to fail.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:48 pm 

foto1 wrote:
Pappywizard
It is the Dongle included in the Panogear pack.
Windows info popup bubble does not recognize it and Panogear does not either.

Not sure what you mean by this - I would expect Windows to be able to load its standard BT driver software automatically for a USB BT 'dongle'.

Does your Toshiba laptop have built-in BT as well?

Quote:
I installed
•Papywizard_2.0.0-1_Install.exe -- Windows installer

That version has some threading issues - you'd do better to download the latest development version - 2.1.19-1:
http://www.papywizard.org/wiki/Download#Developementversions

Install it 'over the top' of your current install. It may throw up an error message when first run but it will be OK after that.

Quote:
I am using Eveready MAx Alkaline batt. I left the charger for the lith batt at home.

Oh dear - I don't think alkaline batteries will perform very well. Can you not pick up some high capacity - 2000mAh or better - NiMH batteries and a fast charger on your travels - not sure where you are travelling but in the UK Tesco stocks a 1-hour charger plus 4 batteries package at a reasonable price.

Alternatively, for the purposes of testing, if you can find a 12VDC 500mA or better mains adapter with suitable connector you could use that.

Quote:
I am using Canon 500D. Manual focus, Manual exposure.

OK The reason I asked is that many DSLRs won't take a shot if they can't get a focus lock when using autofocus and that can result in missing shots when pointing at, for example, the sky if you use autofocus.

Quote:
Toshibia laptop, Vista 32.

OK. I haven't ever used Vista but I'm not aware of any specific issues relating to use of Papywizard with Vista.

Quote:
Touch control

Sorry - I can't help you with the Touch panel controller.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:53 pm 

klausesser wrote:
foto1 wrote:
Touch control

Some minutes ago i phoned Josef and sent him the link to this thread - he´s going to respond quickly.

To clear some facts:
the touch controller doesn´t use BT. It´s to be plugged into the telephone-port of the Merlin - i´m sure you know that.
To shoot the camera you need a connection from the controller´s 3,5mm jack to the camera´s remote release.

Here´s the only way something might go wrong - if the connection broke or you use a wrong cable, the batteries are empty (they feed the TC) or
you forgot to switch on the head´s power . . ;):cool:

No other reasons to fail.

best, Klaus

Klaus,

foto1 reported initially having problems 'programming' the touch controller via USB with his Toshiba laptop running Vista 32:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p64666-today-00-11-55#p64666

I guess if that process didn't work properly then there's all sorts of additional reasons why it won't work correctly when plugged into the Merlin.

Perhaps using Alkaline batteries is an issue too if they also have to power the touch controller.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm 

Hello "foto1",

The Toshiba laptop use the "Bluetooth Toshiba Stack" and this stack doesn't work with Papywizard !
You should control that by going into the PC "control panel" in the section "installed software" then you must find the "Bluetooth software" ( easy to find this one have the small blue BT icon !
If this Bluetooth software is from Toshiba, you must deinstall it !!!
When done, reboot your toshiba with the "external BT dongle" attached and Windwos will "re-activate " the native "Microsoft BT stack"
After that the BT dongle will be operationnal !

When using the tactile controler, it seems that you should connect your Camera directly to the controler, not to the Merlin !
.... small problem, the stereo plug of the tactile controler is a 3,5 mm Diameter but the Merlin "snap contact" is a 2.5 mm plug, you will probably need a adaptator 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm like the next one (Stereo 2.5mm Female To 3.5mm Male)

Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM

Last edited by claudevh on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm 

mediavets wrote:
I guess if that process didn't work properly then there's all sorts of additional reasons why it won't work correctly when plugged into the Merlin.
Perhaps using Alkaline batteries is an issue too if they also have to power the touch controller.

right - i misread the post. Sorry for that.

Alkaline batteries aren´t a problem afaik - the controller doesn´t draw much power.

Let´s see what Josef says related to programming the TC under Vista. I know the procedure can be a bit misleading . .
but it works fine even running in a VM wit XP on my Mac. So i can´t see any reason why it could fail under Vista.
The programming really is extremely simple to handle - once you dig the procedure . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:32 pm 

mediavets wrote:
Alternatively, for the purposes of testing, if you can find a 12VDC 500mA or better mains adapter with suitable connector you could use that.

Be very careful with that, you need a power supply with right polarity on connector for Merlin or you'll kill the head !
You have to remove any batteries installed in head before connecting external power or you can get some serious damages in head and batteries and power supply :(

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:45 pm 

Thanks for the help.

I have just returned from going to the closest town.

I managed to come back with charger and batteries.

No plug converter. I have some other gear here that I can make a cord from and will do this after the post.

Question

Which controler software should I download?
When I load the one that was sent on the CD, everytime I open the program I get the message that it has a problem and needs to close. I had been using it anyway, just not paying attention to the close message.

When I think back to when I tried to shoot a Mosaic - it shot what the controler had on the display.
It had the top row and that is all. So, when I make a new cord for it and hook the controler to the camera, how will that fix anything?

As for the bluetooth there is no Toshiba stack installed. It seems that the software on the CD did not install the driver and when I boot the system with the dongle pluged in I get a message that there is an unrecognizable device pluged in. There is no diference in the message If I Plug it in while the computer is already running.

It seems to me I need to start from the begining somehow. If I could get a downlaod for the controler that would most likely be the one I need and a driver for the bluetooth I might be in business.

In just a little bit the batteries and cord will not be an issue. I can't imagine how that will fix the orders the contrilloer is sending to the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:04 am 

foto1 wrote:
Thanks for the help.

No plug converter. I have some other gear here that I can make a cord from and will do this after the post.

Question

When I load the one that was sent on the CD, everytime I open the program I get the message that it has a problem and needs to close. I had been using it anyway, just not paying attention to the close message.

When I think back to when I tried to shoot a Mosaic - it shot what the controler had on the display.
It had the top row and that is all. So, when I make a new cord for it and hook the controler to the camera, how will that fix anything?

As for the bluetooth there is no Toshiba stack installed. It seems that the software on the CD did not install the driver and when I boot the system with the dongle pluged in I get a message that there is an unrecognizable device pluged in. There is no diference in the message If I Plug it in while the computer is already running.

It seems to me I need to start from the begining somehow. If I could get a downlaod for the controler that would most likely be the one I need and a driver for the bluetooth I might be in business.

In just a little bit the batteries and cord will not be an issue. I can't imagine how that will fix the orders the contrilloer is sending to the camera.

Didn´t Josef send you a mail? Maybe you missed a driver to install - i´m not experienced with Windows - that´s what Josef guessed as i understand.

Did you follow carefully EVERY step of the installation-procedure? I use the TC no for nearly two years including the evaluation time.
I didn´t understand the process of programming the first time i used it. Josef assisited on the phone and it runs since then.

I suggest to re-install from the TC disk and carefully follow the descriptions - i´ll write another one from a user´s view at the weekend.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:28 am 

foto1 wrote:
Thanks for the help.

I hope you got 8 batteries?

Quote:

'Plug convertor'? What is that for? What 'cord' is it that you are planning to make? Did you leave a cord at home as well as the LiION battery charger?

Quote:
Question

I hope we are not adding to your confusion with our messages.

The Touch panel controller and Papywizard are two quite separate, different, alternative ways of controlling the Merlin head.

The Touch panel controller needs to be connected to a PC via USB to 'program' it, and then connected with a cable to the hand controller socket on the Merlin when you wish to shoot a pano. So you should have received a cable to connect the Touch controller to the hand contoller socket on the Merlin and a cable to connect the Touch controller to the camera (and I guess a USB cable to connect the Touch controller to the PC to 'program' it).

As I understand it you are experiencing software problems with the software supplied on CD-ROM with the Touch controller to program it from your PC - is that correct? I don't think that software is available for download is it?

Quote:
As for the bluetooth there is no Toshiba stack installed. It seems that the software on the CD did not install the driver and when I boot the system with the dongle pluged in I get a message that there is an unrecognizable device pluged in. There is no difference in the message If I Plug it in while the computer is already running.

Bluetooth is only relevant for controlling the Merlin head using Papywizard. You need a BT device on either end of the connection. One device which has a short attached/integrated cable plugs into the hand controller socket on the Merlin head and if using a PC at the other end you'll need either built-in BT or a USB BT 'dongle'.

Do you have both devices?

You will also need a cable to connect from the Snap connector on the Merlin head to the camera. For you camera this needs to have 2.5mm jacks on both ends, whereas the cable to connect the Touch controller to the camera will have a 3.5mm jack on one end and a 2.5mm jack on the other end.

A USB BT 'dongle' for the PC should install automatically using the standard Windows BT drivers - you should not need to install any software.

Quote:
It seems to me I need to start from the begining somehow. If I could get a download for the controler that would most likely be the one I need and a driver for the bluetooth I might be in business.

If you are gpoing to be using the Touch controller then BT doesn't enter into the picture at all.

BT is only relevant if you wish to use Papywizard to control the Merlin head.

Quote:

I suggest to follow Klaus advice and re-install that software for 'programming' the Touch controller.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:44 am 

We are talking about both because I have not gotten either one to work.

The cord is because of a post earlier that said not to plug the pc cord into merlin from the touchcontrol but to the camera for my Canon 500d.

Those are two diferent size plugs.

I have reinstalled Touch control and Pappywizard many times. No luck.

I am confused alright! I understand the two diferent ways to control the head.
I just can't figure out how I did it so diferently!
Thank you very much for hanging in there with me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:58 am 

foto1 wrote:
We are talking about both because I have not gotten either one to work.

The cord is because of a post earlier that said not to plug the pc cord into merlin from the touchcontrol but to the camera for my Canon 500d.

Those are two different size plugs.

OK.

As I understand it (and Klaus or Vincen will be sure to correct me if I'm mistaken) if you are using the Touch controller to control the Merlin head then the cable to the camera goes from the Touch controller to the camera; for your camera that requires a cable with a 2.5mm jack on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other end. You will also have a seperate cable from the Touch controller to the hand controller socket on the Merlin head. So two cables from the Touch controller one to the hand controller socket on the Merlin head and the other to the camera.

If instead you are using Papywizard to control the Merlin head then the cable for the camera goes from the Snap port on the Merlin head to the camera; for your camera that requires a cable with a 2.5mm jack on both ends.

Did you get two different camera cables like these with your Panogear package?

If you only have one camera cable which one do you have? The cable with a 2.5mm jack at both ends, or the cable with a 3.5mm jack at one and a 2.5mm jack at the other end?

Quote:
I have reinstalled Touch control and Pappywizard many times. No luck.

Let's deal with one at a time.

So let's start with the Touch controller software.

I think you need to describe more precisely- preferably with a screenshot - what error messages you are getting when you try to run the software to 'program' the Touch controller.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:12 am 

Here's a shot of my Bluetooth devices - the blue one with the cable connects to the hand controller socket in the Merlin head, and the USB Bluetooth 'dongle' for my PC, with an SD card for scale.

Do you have two similar Bluetooth devices? Yours may not be absolutely identical because mine were not part of a Panogear package from Kolor.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:17 am 

I was sent 2 cables both only small plugs.

So I am making one with a 2.5 and a 3.5.

As for the two connections the just mentioned goes from controler to camera.

The other cord I am pluging in is the clear plastic clip in type, from controler to merlin.

The error says - "Panorama.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop woking correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:19 am 

Yes my BT look similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:25 am 

foto1 wrote:
I was sent 2 cables both only small plugs.

So I am making one with a 2.5 and a 3.5.

As for the two connections the just mentioned goes from controler to camera.

OK. Seems that someone messed up with the cables.

Quote:
The other cord I am pluging in is the clear plastic clip in type, from controler to merlin.

OK - and that was supplied with the package?

Quote:
The error says - "Panorama.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop woking correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I have just downloaded the manual for the Touch controller:
http://www.typeandcolour.de/PDFs/EN_Manual.pdf
and reading the part about software installation I read that .Net 2.0 or higher must be installed or you will get an error message.

Did you check that you have .Net 2.0 or higher installed before installing panorama.exe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:30 am 

Yes Net 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:42 am 

foto1 wrote:
Yes Net 4

Ok.

So I read that you should connect the Touch controller via USB and that the display must show USB and the CD-ROM must be in the drive to install the driver for the Touch controllerl - did you do that?

And that you should get message that the system has found New Hardware, then you say No to searching for driver, then at next screen choose Install software automatically or words to that effect (the manual I have has screenshots in German!).

Once you have the driver installed then you can install panorama.exe from the appropriate folder on the CD-ROM.

Did you go through all these steps correctly?

If yes the please post a screenshot of the error message you get when attempting to run the panorama.exe software.