Fisheye recommendation!  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
flowmotion

Fisheye recommendation!

by flowmotion » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am

Hey Folks,

here comes a post, i normally comment in other Forums with "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys :D "

but that´s what it is about.

Actually i am shooting my panoramas with 24mm Canon lense. It works great. BUT I want to become faster - and the high resolution is not needed for the webprojects the panos are used for.
so i thought about a fisheye, where i can handle a 360 with 6 shots.
Lense for canon fullframe bodies.
And here the challenge: Is there a cheap lense out there, that offers acceptable quality?

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 am

flowmotion wrote:Hey Folks,

here comes a post, i normally comment in other Forums with "you pay peanuts, you get monkeys :D "

Actually i am shooting my panoramas with 24mm Canon lense. It works great. BUT I want to become faster - and the high resolution is not needed for the webprojects the panos are used for.
And here the challenge: Is there a cheap lense out there, that offers acceptable quality?

The new version of the Samyang 8 mm is very nice. Can be used on ff even. Optics are good enough, not as good as the expensive brands but you save a lot if money without loosing much in quality.

It is a manual focus lens though.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
flowmotion

by flowmotion » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 am

manual focus is ok at this focal length :)

i´ll search for it...

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 pm

HansKeesom wrote:The new version of the Samyang 8 mm is very nice. Can be used on ff even. Optics are good enough, not as good as the expensive brands but you save a lot if money without loosing much in quality.

There's a new version?

What's different?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm

flowmotion wrote:Hey Folks,

The best way is to look for a 2,8/15mm Canon fullframe-fisheye when you use a Canon FF or a Nikon 16mm fisheye when you are on Nikon. You can get the 15mm these days fo a very reasonable price because it´s out of production. The actual Canon fisheye is a zoom: 4/8-15mm. It provides surprisingly good image quality - but makes only sense whe you really need both focal-lengths.

The Canon 2,8/15mm fe and the Nikon 2,8/16mm fe need 5+Z shot @20% overlap resp. 6+Z @25% overlap. They´re very good and sharp lenses.

Using an 8mm fe on a fullframe camera in my eyes is pure nonsense - you give away lots of resolution . . which means image-quality.

I don´t know which camera you use. IF you use a DX camera i strongly suggest the Nikon 10,5mm - also on a Canon camera. I used it on a 20D for some time and it worked fine:
http://360impressions.de/Tower/
http://360impressions.de/Mini1.html

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:07 pm

mediavets wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:The new version of the Samyang 8 mm is very nice. Can be used on ff even. Optics are good enough, not as good as the expensive brands but you save a lot if money without loosing much in quality.

There's a new version?

What's different?

Mostly the fact you can take of the front so it becames a shaved lens. This allows it to be a bit more usefull on a ff body although with some quality limitations.

The lens/glass is also bigger compared to the previous version

Price is still really low compared to the best/greates/most professional lenses.

If one is starting and has to buy a lot of gear, this lens can help to stay within budget without loosing to much in quality terms
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:52 pm

HansKeesom wrote:If one is starting and has to buy a lot of gear, this lens can help to stay within budget without loosing to much in quality terms

The very last device where a starter should save money definitely is the lens. The whole thing called photography starts with and depends on the lens.
Better save on the camera or something but on the lens.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:16 pm

I helped a number of people to get started from scratch.

Advised configuration was then a manfrotto 150 euro tripod, Nodal ninja 4 with RD-8 /18 rotator, canon 1100D with 18-55 mm and this lens.

If you can show me where to shave off of some more euro, let me know.
Regards, Hans Keesom

Return to Panogear