Weight limitations  

English support for Panogear kit
no avatar
nombre

Weight limitations

by nombre » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:01 am

I currently have a Kolor Panogear on order ^_^

What I am doing while I am waiting for delivery is researching into an awesome telephoto lens for my Canon 5D MKIII. I was going to aim for the Canon 400mm 2/8 lens, but then I realised that the weight limitation of a panogear is 4.4kg.

The weight of a Canon 5d MKIII is 860 grams.
The weight of a Canon 400mm 2/8 lens is 3850 grams.
The 2.0x extender (optional) is 380 grams.

The total weight of the Camera and lens alone is 4.71kg, which exceeds the weight limit of the panogear by 310 grams. Is there any tolerance on the weight limit of the panogear, or is an additional 310 grams over the limit just too much?

If it turns out to be too heavy, I'm just going to order a 300mm 2/8 lens and 2.0x extender instead.

Also...howareyas? ^_^

no avatar
mediavets

Re: Weight limitations

by mediavets » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:30 am

If you are willing and able to purchase either of these lenses then I think you should consider a robotic pano head designed to cope with heavier loads such as the Panoneed which is specified to handle up to 8-10kg.

You will need a very heavy duty tripod too.

Shooting panos with the camera lens combos you are considering will also demand some serious computer power to process, stitch and render the images.

no avatar
nombre

by nombre » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:05 am

Probably the biggest problem is that I am already pushing my budget to the extreme. That, and I have already have the Kolor Panogear on order XD

The tripod which i already own and intend to use is a Manfrotto 290 Series.

As for my computer specs:

Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X @ 3.3GHz (w small liquid cooling system ^_^)
RAM: 64GB (not a typo :3)
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 690
Storage:
- 1x 110GB SSD
- 1x 2.7TB HDD
- 4x HDDs (running in RAID), totalling 10.3TB of usable storage space

^Would this have enough power to do the deed? :)

no avatar
nombre

by nombre » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey vets! I thought about what you said, and looked into a few things and did a bit of thinking.

Even if I was to push my luck with the panoscan, the tripod which I already have is only rated to hold something with a weight of up to 4kg.

My Canon 5d Mkiii, a canon 300mm 2/8 lens, and the 2.0x extender will give a total weight of 3.6kg, well within the weight limitations of both the panoscan and the tripod. I think I'll go with this method.

Also, a 400mm 2/8 lens, new tripod, and a heavier robotic pano head will probably cost me an additional $10,000 or so, so...yeah. 300mm it is XP

Cheers mate :)

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:52 pm

nombre wrote:Hey vets! I thought about what you said, and looked into a few things and did a bit of thinking.

Even if I was to push my luck with the panoscan, the tripod which I already have is only rated to hold something with a weight of up to 4kg.

My Canon 5d Mkiii, a canon 300mm 2/8 lens, and the 2.0x extender will give a total weight of 3.6kg, well within the weight limitations of both the panoscan and the tripod. I think I'll go with this method.

Also, a 400mm 2/8 lens, new tripod, and a heavier robotic pano head will probably cost me an additional $10,000 or so, so...yeah. 300mm it is XP

Cheers mate :)

You still will need to mount the camera/lens at close to its centre of mass to avoid clutch slip and positioning problems using a Panogear mount. The Panogear mount is based on the relatively low cost Merlon astrotelescope mount and as such was not designed to move quickly so expect it to take a long time to shoot panos with a 300mm lens plus 2x extender.

The Merlin/Panogear offers good performnce for the price but should not be compared with more costly pro grade robotic heads designed from the ground up for shooting panos, such as the Panoneed, Seitz VRDrive or Dr Clauss robotic pano heads.

As you will discover the challenge of shooting, stitching and rendering high res. panos does not increase linearly with focal length but exponentially.

You may be interested in this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-CLAUSS-R ... 20ee1b43f0

no avatar
nombre

by nombre » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Well...as far as the center of mass is concerned, I was kind of hoping that the solution would be built into the 300mm lens itself:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... eview.aspx

^ The Canon 300mm 2/8 lens has its own dedicated tripod mount. Probably the only issue that I may have with maintaining the center of mass is when I attach the 2.0 extender to it...but given the fact that the entire setup will be 800 grams under the weight limit of the panogear, I was kind of hoping that it wouldnt matter?

Regarding the speed of a panogear setup, I was under the impression that it could do a 360 degree rotation in only 50 seconds. Having said that, I would have thought that I could capture panoramas with this in a reasonable time frame, with the biggest speed limitation being the camera/memory card combination.

I should point out that I have a Verbatim UDMA 7 256GB CF card, with write speeds of 'up to' 140mb/s. Wherever I can, I will save in a raw format (Approximately 30mb per file)

As for challenges...I like challenges :3

EDIT: I didnt see your ebay link until after I posted my message. If I didnt already purchase the Kolor panogear, I would be all over it! XP

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:30 pm

nombre wrote:Regarding the speed of a panogear setup, I was under the impression that it could do a 360 degree rotation in only 50 seconds. Having said that, I would have thought that I could capture panoramas with this in a reasonable time frame, with the biggest speed limitation being the camera/memory card combination.

That's max. speed and I think it's 60 seconds for a full rotation; but it doesn't move at that speed when positioning for each shot and of course it doesn't move continuously when shooting panos, it positions, then stops, shot is taken, then it moves on. As I recall typically something like 6 shots a minute max. when controlling using Papywizard (I've not used any other controller) when allowing a little time for the system to settle before taking each shot.

You could use the Papywizard software in simulation mode to get an idea of how many shots you'd need to cover an desired pano FOV and then estimate the time it will take to shoot.

EDIT: I didn't see your ebay link until after I posted my message. If I didn't already purchase the Kolor panogear, I would be all over it! XP

If i was you and could afford it I'd buy the Rodeon and (try to) sell the Panogear system.

no avatar
nombre

by nombre » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:20 am

I was expecting the camera to take a lot longer than 50 seconds to perform a complete rotation obviously due the stopping and positioning, but...a maximum of 6 shots per minute you say? As in approximately one image every 10 seconds? ...for some reason, I was kind of expecting it to be a lot faster XP

Well...you've left me with a 'lot' to think about now vets mate XP

I might haveta sleep on this. When my panogear arrives, I might re-assess my options.

Cheers again for your help mate :)

Return to Panogear